Club CFCnet | Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Main Site
Photo
- - - - -

Dear Old Hicky

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheGhost of John McNaught

TheGhost of John McNaught

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:Real Ale
    Real Boobs
    Real Friends
    Real Football
  • Team:that team we call the CHELSEA

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:09 PM

So nice to see the venerable Chap put in a cameo appearance at Bremen. I must say he was looking well, and gave everyone a laugh with his blue & white plastic WW1 kraut helmet. Underneath which, in an uncharacteristic display of unity (or was it self-preservation?) he had an identical green & white one.

Perhaps even old hooligans have to mellow with age. He seemed to enjoy leading the Dambuster waltz though, you know, arms out, Cabbage Crates over the bringy, Ginger! Dah Dah Da etc etc

First saw him do that at Old Trafford in the League Cup circa 1978? We lost 0 - 3 anyway, night game. His finale was to get alight a ManU scarf he had impaled on the railings in front of the rabid K-Standers.

Happy Days ;-)

#2 Jerry Kendik

Jerry Kendik

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Team:Chelsea

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:15 PM

Is he plumper these days Ghosty?

#3 TheGhost of John McNaught

TheGhost of John McNaught

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:Real Ale
    Real Boobs
    Real Friends
    Real Football
  • Team:that team we call the CHELSEA

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

Nah, like I say, he's looking well. Still has that amazing bone structure and deportment; just a few more wrinkles around the eyes, a light golden tan and general air of benevolence being the only discernable changes. Was wearing his favourite green nylon USAF flying jacket (which took over from the black Harrington), so that might be concealing a few extra pounds. Doing better than most of us in that respect, I'd wager...

Sends his regards to the Met.

#4 Benners

Benners

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Sea angling, Snooker, Real Ale, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Wild women, Wild Fungi.
  • Team:The Pensioners

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:27 AM

Funny, I was always meeting oppo fans who would say 'aah your'e Chelsea, I'm a mate of Icky'.
Strange that in all the years I followed Chelsea at home & away I never met him or had him pointed out to me.
Maybe I just moved in different circles, or maybe these other fans had met him on the end of his boot.

#5 Peter Sampson

Peter Sampson

CFCnet Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Team:Reepham Town

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

Funny, I was always meeting oppo fans who would say 'aah your'e Chelsea, I'm a mate of Icky'.

Same here.. I've been on holiday in Europe a few times and may Brits would come up and say that they knew Hicky and had drunk and fought with and against him. I may be wrong but I think he may have been one of the big tickets in the England support during the early 80s.

That used to annoy the other groups West Ham, Leeds etc. Chelsea organising the England support.

#6 Doug Rougvie fan club

Doug Rougvie fan club

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Team:chelsea

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

Good to see the original's at Chelsea.was there a good turnout at Bremen?,heard the boys on tv,sounded good.cheers...Eccle's was our Leader,la,la,la,la

#7 Jerry Kendik

Jerry Kendik

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

When you see Danny Harkins (Eccles) outside the ground nowadays selling fanzines, it seems a long, long way from the 70s & 80s, eh?

Talked to Eccles briefly after the Charlton 1-0 Maka/Premiership celebration in the Imperial. I was keen to reminisce about how far we as a club had come from the Rotherham, Forest and Shrewsbury debacles etc (I.e. who'd have thought it) , and all he wanted to talk about was Drogba's skill with a banjo in the sport of cow's ar*e hitting!

> (Icky's) green nylon USAF flying jacket

Ah, can still visualise it now.

#8 One Phil Driver

One Phil Driver

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

Saw Hicky pre season away to Feyenoord and although he had gained a few extra pounds he looked as good as ever with that big beaming smile of his. Always has time for a chat and a joke. Ten minutes before the end of the game he and his troop slipped away to meet there Dutch counterparts.

#9 Doug Rougvie fan club

Doug Rougvie fan club

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:06 PM

When you see Danny Harkins (Eccles) outside the ground nowadays selling fanzines, it seems a long, long way from the 70s & 80s, eh?

Talked to Eccles briefly after the Charlton 1-0 Maka/Premiership celebration in the Imperial. I was keen to reminisce about how far we as a club had come from the Rotherham, Forest and Shrewsbury debacles etc (I.e. who'd have thought it) , and all he wanted to talk about was Drogba's skill with a banjo in the sport of cow's ar*e hitting!

> (Icky's) green nylon USAF flying jacket

Ah, can still visualise it now.

Awesome thread,brightened up my pissy saturday.me and a load of mates tried to infiltrate Bolton's home end(the game Walker saved us from the 3rd division),and because we all wore flying jacket's,we got sussed for being chelsea,and got a good slap.oh happy days...cheers

#10 andleicester

andleicester

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:01 AM

Awesome thread,brightened up my pissy saturday.me and a load of mates tried to infiltrate Bolton's home end(the game Walker saved us from the 3rd division),and because we all wore flying jacket's,we got sussed for being chelsea,and got a good slap.oh happy days...cheers

We got in the Bolton end with our flying jackets on but we had a cunning plan, thought we could fool them by wearing flat caps!. We got a slap and were sent down to the away end and we lost our caps.

#11 Doug Rougvie fan club

Doug Rougvie fan club

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

We got in the Bolton end with our flying jackets on but we had a cunning plan, thought we could fool them by wearing flat caps!. We got a slap and were sent down to the away end and we lost our caps.

Qaulity...