Photo
- - - - -

N F L

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
832 replies to this topic

#1 hanuma

hanuma

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts
  • Team:Chelsea

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:34 PM

Any fans on here?

Seeing as it's getting close to playoff time I thought we may as well have a thread.

I'm a Raiders fan btw...so as some of you might know, I will be looking for a second team to follow through the playoffs. I like the Bengals and the Jets, but neither of them are guaranteed to make the playoffs.

Chargers look just about the best team in the NFL right now. An NFL with only one strong conference and, tbh, a lack of identity with an insane ammount of player movement.

#2 Neil Park

Neil Park

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • Interests:Football, Music, Reading, Writing, Beer. History (Britain & Ireland) Learning languages (Italian). Learning to play the guitar.

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

I used to watch it regularly, but I've lost touch over the last few years.
I was always a Philadelphia Eagles fan.

#3 nona_valente

nona_valente

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

I'm not a fan, but coming to North America has given me a small appreciation for it. What I know of it is very limited.

The Cowboys look interesting after putting Romo in the quaterback position. As long as they ensure Terrell Owen's eventual bust-up with management occurs after the playoffs are over, I think they won't do too badly.

> I'm a Raiders fan btw

I know very little about Am. football, but even I felt some sympathy. Any hope of beating one of the Rams, Chiefs or Jets, to make it 3 wins in the season?

#4 hanuma

hanuma

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:08 PM

Seeing as the Rams just shut us out...at home...and the Chiefs and Jets look in contention for a playoff place....no.

Our D is very good and has great hope for the future, but our Offence is the worst in our history and probably one of the worst 20 of all time.

#5 Paul Mcgoochan

Paul Mcgoochan

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts
  • Interests:Church,Rugby,Cycling,
    Heavy Metal,
    Reading,History,
    Politics.
  • Team:Born 1905

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

I'm a Patriots fan, have been since the season where the Bears mauled us in the final. Not too sure who's going win this year.

#6 nona_valente

nona_valente

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

I got to see the Patriots come back, from behind, in the last few minutes to get a touchdown and FG. That was actually fun to watch.

I've liked Manning and Brady the past two/three seasons, so a Colts-Patriots match-up always sounds great for me. I'll be firmly with the Colts, though.

#7 Aldinga Striker

Aldinga Striker

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:26 PM

I was always a big fan of Marshall Faulk for the Colts, running back. But I really enjoyed watching the Cowboys play from a few years ago, what a lineup - Aikman, Emmit, Michael Irvin, Leon Lett, Darren Woodson, Jay Novachek, Deon Sanders. Michael Irvin was revolutionised the wide reciever position, so tall, big and fast. That was a great team to watch.
I dont really have a favourite team but I love individual players - Keshawn Johnson, T.O., Chris Carter, Thurman Thomas, Junior Seau. I grew up watching a lot of sport and football, American football and basketball were my main ones. We never used to get much on tv when I was young so I had to stay up late with my dad to get a glimpse in the early days. Then it took off and now everyone thinks they know all about it. It can get a bit boring with all the timeouts and stuff, and I am not a fan of the celebrations the players do after say a tackle or for tying their shoe laces.

#8 surfadelic23

surfadelic23

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Team:CHELSEA!!

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

I caught my first NFL game in a couple of years a month ago. What I had completely forgot about is the amt. of down time where NOTHING is happening. Timeouts for TV etc. make me crazy and I think it kills the potential for atmosphere.

I've been lucky enough to catch a few big college football games and the difference in night and day. The atmosphere is usually electric and the people seem much more into the game rather than just being there.
There's usually a marching band, people are chanting or singing and the overall vibe is just much better.

Say what you will about the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge, it is a hell of a lot more energetic than any of the NFL games I've attended over the last 20 some years...

#9 nona_valente

nona_valente

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

I just heard that the NFL has plans to play a regular season game in the UK next season (or was it the one after that?).

#10 Lassana Diarra

Lassana Diarra

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Yes I've heard rumours that the Premiership would host a game in American and the NFL one here. However getting a team to give up home advantage for a neutral setting was going to prove problematic!!

#11 surfadelic23

surfadelic23

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Team:CHELSEA!!

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

I just heard that the NFL has plans to play a regular season game in the UK next season (or was it the one after that?).

Found this on ESPN.com :

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2732567

#12 Paul Mcgoochan

Paul Mcgoochan

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts
    Heavy Metal,
    Reading,History,
    Politics.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

Can't see too many players wanting to go to Soldier Field when it's minus 20.

#13 Zola's Back Heel

Zola's Back Heel

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:18 AM

Super Bowl Sunday is a week and a half away. I'm extremely excited because my Chicago Bears will be facing the Indianapolis Colts. Its should be a great matchup, hopefully with the Bears dominating on defense and bringing home the trophy.

#14 hanuma

hanuma

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

The NFL will be bringing a regular season game to London next seson. They hope to play it in Wembley and it looks like it will be the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants....but that is unconfirmed rumour.

The Superbowl XLI could be a classic...here is a quick and simple break down of the two teams:

AFC Champs-Indianapolis Colts
-In the Superbowl for the first time since the franchise was moved to Indianapolis
-Led by inspirational Quaterback Peyton Manning; this is his first Superbowl in his record breaking 9 year career.
-Head Coach Tony Dungy has also never reached the Superbowl before despite getting lots of his teams into the playoffs.
-The team is built on a great Offence and, more specifically, a great passing game with Manning throwing to two of the best wide receivers in the game; Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. Harrison and Manning are the most prolific QB-WR combo of all time for yards and TD's (I think). They are backed up by a decent running game with Dominic Rhodes and the rookie Joseph Addai who are both fast and skilfull runners, more than powerful bruisers. Many feel the teams real key to success is the offensive line, or the small group of players who protect the QB and make space for the runners.
-The Defence takes a back seat for Indianapolis, but despite a poor regular season, they have really improved in the playoffs. A collection of smaller, but much faster players, they don't tend to give up many really big plays and are all quick to the ball, despite not being big tacklers. Better at stopping the pass than stopping the run.

NFC Champs- Chicago Bears
-This is their first SB since the great 1985 team that had players like 'The Fridge' and was arguably the greatest Defence of all time.
-Lovie Smith (yes that really is his name) is in his 3rd season as a Head Coach and has done a tremendous job in restoring some of the greatness to this franchise, starting by reinstalling the tradition of great Defence.
-Brian Urlacher is the teams superstar and leader. He is a Middle Line Backer, this is basically like the Quaterback of the Defence. In his 7th season he is the talisman for the team just like Manning is for the Colts.
-Defence is what this team is built on. It isn't as great as the 1985 one, but it is still very dangerous. Capable of being very hard hitting but also forcing lots of turnovers - interceptions or fumbles - they will be missing a key player in Defensive Tackle Tommie Harris...he's the guy that trys to 'Sack' the QB.
-The Bears Offence is much maligned and very much in the shadow of the teams Defence. Quaterback Rex Grossman has had a pretty poor year and the team have relied on him making more big plays than mistakes. The running game is more potent for them with Thomas Jones, fast and skilfull, and Cedric Benson, big and powerful, providing a great one - two punch.

Overall
It's all set up for a classic Offence v Defence battle. Manning v Urlacher. Whilst that could be fascinating I get the feeling that the real fireworks will come when the Chicago Bears Offence play the Colts Defence...both units are a bit all over the place and the Superbowl can do funny things to the players in it.

I did forget to mention one aspect of play Special Teams....this is kicking, punting and kick/punt returns. The Colts have probably the best Kicker in the league with Adam Vinatieri. If the game is tight, he could be the difference maker. Equally the Bears have a great rookiekick off and punt returner... (kick off is when the game is restarted after the half or after a Touchdown/Field goal...the team that scores kicks the ball back from their half down to the opposition in their half....a punt is when a team is in a desperate tactical situation and has to get rid of the ball, so they punt it back to the opposition) ... his name is Devin Hester and he is FAST! He broke the record for touchdowns on Kick Off returns this season (7) in his rookie year and in 2 different games he scored touchdowns on 2 kick off returns.... he could keep the Bears in it, or mess up the way the Colts Offence want to play by putting them behind early.

One final point....the Colts are coming from the AFC division, which is much, much stronger than the NFC where the Bears come from. The Bears are still a good team, but it's debateable whether they are even as good as 2 of the teams the Colts beat to get to the Superbowl (The Ravens and Patriots...who beat the Chargers). After all this hype the Colts could run away with it and, if I'm hones, I wouldn't mind that, because Manning deserves a SB ring to shut up all the doubters, the same people that haunted Dan Marino's great career (he never won an SB).

Here are some videos for you;
Devin Hester with some fireworks...
Bears D...
The Colts... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0J6nN49Kk

#15 Paul Mcgoochan

Paul Mcgoochan

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts
    Heavy Metal,
    Reading,History,
    Politics.

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

Devin Hester, was he a 100m sprinter who got into the game late, what's his story? Strewth he's fast.