Photo
- - - - -

Summer 2011 Cricket Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
178 replies to this topic

#1 CostaTheBlue

CostaTheBlue

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:Chelsea
  • Team:Chelsea

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

This thread is to discuss County Cricket and England's matches against Sri Lanka and India in the summer.

So which county cricket team does everyone support, I support Hampshire.

#2 PALMERSTON

PALMERSTON

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

Good old Sussex by the sea. I will be spending many a glorious sunny day at Hove in a deck chair with my cold bag full of boddingtons keeping the stats and listening to the local commentary on my earphones. Perfect.

#3 Blue Lion 13

Blue Lion 13

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Somerset, I went to Uni at Bath and kindof fell in love with the county. Taunton is awesome, loved my time there!

#4 CostaTheBlue

CostaTheBlue

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

Malinga retires from Test Cricket. What a fantastic boost for England and we certainly needed it.

#5 Liverlad

Liverlad

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Team:Liverpool

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

Malinga retires from Test Cricket. What a fantastic boost for England and we certainly needed it.

Whilst that is good news for England, Malinga isn't half the bowler in test matches that he is in limited overs cricket. Now with Murali gone, Sri Lanka's attack looks very average. And whilst they've still got a some awesome batsman (although their star man Sangakkara averages only 30.54 in England with a high score of 66), Sri Lanka away from home are a very, very different proposition to playing them in their own country. The only test series away from home they've won since the 1999/2000 season have been against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe - http://stats.espncri...;id=8;type=team

And for all our failings recently in the one dayers, our Test record over the past few years is immense. Not lost a series since early 2009 and since then we've beaten Australia home and away and drawn away against South Africa. I'd imagine England to win the 3 match series either 3-0 or 2-0.

India will provide a much tougher test as they've got more bowlers who can hurt England, and Tendulkar just seems to be getting better, but we'll get to them in July...

#6 Shatners Bassoon

Shatners Bassoon

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

Yorkshire fan and was quite happy with our start to the season until last week's results. Lancashire starting the season so well only makes it worse. Hopefully they won't maintain their early season form and make it 77 years without with the County Championship outright.

#7 CostaTheBlue

CostaTheBlue

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:04 AM

Can't see us beating Sri Lanka unfortunatly. They showed in the World Cup that they're a much better team despite being a small poverty stricken country and England being a medium sized rich country. It'll probably be 2-0 to Sri Lanka with the other Test being a draw due to the rainy early summer weather in England.

#8 Bob Singleton

Bob Singleton

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Photography & Live Music
  • Team:Chelsea FC since 1968

Donator

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

Lancashire... good to see us starting so well too!!

#9 Liverlad

Liverlad

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

Can't see us beating Sri Lanka unfortunatly. They showed in the World Cup that they're a much better team despite being a small poverty stricken country and England being a medium sized rich country. It'll probably be 2-0 to Sri Lanka with the other Test being a draw due to the rainy early summer weather in England.

Predicting England to lose? Good news for England then. They showed in the world cup that they're a very good one day team especially in home conditions. Just the 11 years since they won an away test series (not inc Bangladesh n Zimbabwe), and now they've got to do it without Muralitharan. All this not taking into account England's recent test record. Although surely there must be something you base all these predictions you get wrong on?

#10 CostaTheBlue

CostaTheBlue

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

Predicting England to lose? Good news for England then.

Yeah, it really worked in the World Cup!

#11 Liverlad

Liverlad

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

Fairly strong Lions side to play in the warmup vs Sri Lanka:
JC Hildreth*, JHK Adams, JM Bairstow†, RS Bopara, DR Briggs, JW Dernbach, ST Finn, EJG Morgan, G Onions, SR Patel, A Shahzad, JWA Taylor

I think that if Finn, Onions or Shahzad have an exceptional game they might have raised a case for first test selection, but I think its fairly certain England will go with stick with Tremlett and then bring Broad back as the two to play alongside Anderson and Swann. Top 5 and wicket keeper is also a certainty, so its basically between Bopara and Morgan to who will bat at 6. I'd pick Bopara but I think Morgan would get picked if the test match was tomorrow. If one of them gets a big score and the other fails then that could probably be what decides it. Strauss got 150 odd playing for Middlesex in Sri Lanka's last warmup game which bodes well. My mate is cousins with Stuart Law so I'm trying to get him to try and shark some free tickets!

#12 John Terry Ate My Hamster

John Terry Ate My Hamster

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

Not an avid cricket fan but always enjoy Surrey's games at Whitgift school every year, would recommend it for a day out for anyone, regardless of their level of interest in the sport.

The 4th and final day v Essex is this Saturday with Kp playing, and there's a one day game on Sunday v Hampshire. Plus for the first year they're holding a T20 game at the school, which could well be carnage as bigger hitters will easily reach the A23 which runs next to the pitch!

#13 Liverlad

Liverlad

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

England Lions 394-4 at close. Morgan on 156no. (Morgan vs Bopara selection issue put to bed) and Patel 101no. Really struggle to see how Sri Lanka are going to cope in the bowling department now Murali has retired. Cook and Pietersen also scored 50s today, good news.

Elsewhere Napier hit 196 off 130 balls with 16 sixes equalling the record number in a first class innings!! He also holds the record for number of T20 sixes in an innings. Potential England T20 player I'd imagine, although England won't see any need to change what they've been doing in T20 considering how well they've done in it the past year.

#14 Liverlad

Liverlad

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Cook and Pietersen also scored 50s today, good news.

Forgot, hundred for Bell as well.

#15 Liverlad

Liverlad

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

Lions 493-8dec then Sri Lanka 266 all out. Morgan great knock of 193. Sri Lanka will do well to avoid defeat here.