Photo

More Allegations Of "huge Bribes" Against Qatar For World Cup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 SnowFlurryBlue

SnowFlurryBlue

CFCnet Member

• Senior Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:48 AM

http://thetimes.mobi...rt&cat=TT-Sport

Six Fifa officials offered to work as fixers for Qatar’s bid to host the World Cup — and all of them suggested paying “huge bribes” as part of a strategy to win the race, according to explosive new revelations.

Detailed allegations of corruption, including six examples of Fifa executives who were prepared to sell their votes for up to $1.5 million, was disclosed as a House of Commons committee was told how England’s doomed bid to stage the tournament was derailed. The reputation of the leadership of world football was under acute scrutiny after yesterday’s evidence presented a picture of alleged bribery and backhanders

It was said that one request for gifts of a total value of £3 million was put to the England 2018 bid leaders, who also received three other requests for money or favours, all of which were turned down.

The latest revelations include claims that “the African Fifa \ members had been offered between $1 million and $1.2 million for ‘projects’ by Qatar in return for their 2022 vote”. The allegations were not published because lawyers acting for Qatar said that they were “entirely false” and the newspaper judged that none of the people making the allegations was likely to be willing to appear as a witness.

#2 Droy was my hero

Droy was my hero

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts
  • Team:CFC

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

We have always known that the WC has been a corrupt competition to host. The committee is asking the wrong question - they as if the process is corrupt, instead of why England wanted to enter the corrupt process. The smart move would have been to declare the whole thing a fiasco, not enter, and accuse Blatter and Waarner of teh incompetence and corruption of which they have long been guilty.

BTW England is now the only major country to have played a friendly in Warner's home country of Trinidad and not hosted the WC a few later later or earlier.
We knowingly entered a bribery competition and to whinge now is almost as dishonest as going to Trinidad in the first place.

#3 Russ

Russ

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Team:Chelsea

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

We have always known that the WC has been a corrupt competition to host. The committee is asking the wrong question - they as if the process is corrupt, instead of why England wanted to enter the corrupt process. The smart move would have been to declare the whole thing a fiasco, not enter, and accuse Blatter and Waarner of teh incompetence and corruption of which they have long been guilty.

BTW England is now the only major country to have played a friendly in Warner's home country of Trinidad and not hosted the WC a few later later or earlier.
We knowingly entered a bribery competition and to whinge now is almost as dishonest as going to Trinidad in the first place.

I agree, but by not entering how would you compile evidence that the process was corrupt?

In my view the mistake was not reporting the allegations as they happened.

This way it can all to easily be put down to sour grapes. which of course it will.

#4 Droy was my hero

Droy was my hero

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts
  • Team:CFC

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

I agree, but by not entering how would you compile evidence that the process was corrupt?

In my view the mistake was not reporting the allegations as they happened.

This way it can all to easily be put down to sour grapes. which of course it will.

Which of course it is - sour grapes.

Compiling the evidence is pretty easy - there are books out there already. Surely you don't think the only reason we put in a bid was to compile evidence, or that we only found out about the corruption too late.
Going to Trinidad committed the FA to accepting a corrupt process from the start.

#5 Russ

Russ

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Team:Chelsea

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

...Surely you don't think the only reason we put in a bid was to compile evidence, or that we only found out about the corruption too late.
Going to Trinidad committed the FA to accepting a corrupt process from the start.

No, not at all.

It's a side effect of the FA excepting the process, but the process has only been seen to be as corrupt as it is by entering it in the first place and various parties gathering the evidence they have. The FA entered into a process which was strongly rumoured to be corrupt, but had no proof. They would look foolish and commit political suicide by acting on rumour alone. The evidence we now have dams them in hindsight.

Those books, which admittedly I haven't seen, don't seem to of carried enough weight to get EXCO members suspended. Unlike the Times evidence gathered recently.