Club CFCnet | Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Main Site
Photo
- - - - -

2011 Rugby World Cup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 TorresTheBlue

TorresTheBlue

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Chelsea
  • Team:Chelsea

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

It starts on Friday. Who does everyone think is going to win it? I think New Zealand are going to win it with ease considering they're the best team and have home advantage.

As for England, I don't think we're as good as we were in 2003 or 2007 and I think we might go out in the group, hopefully we get through and don't get embarrased.

#2 Stim

Stim

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:47 PM

Don't New Zealand have the choker tag

#3 Bob Singleton

Bob Singleton

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Interests:Photography & Live Music
  • Team:Chelsea FC since 1968

Donator

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

While the All Blacks are probably the strongest side, especially at home, the pressure on them to win for the first time since they won the inaugural tournament in 1987 is immense. The semi-finals will probably be France v Australia and NZ v South Africa, but I wouldn't bet against an upset in that game with an Australia v South Africa final

#4 CFC1966

CFC1966

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Team:CHELSEA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

It starts on Friday. Who does everyone think is going to win it? I think New Zealand are going to win it with ease considering they're the best team and have home advantage.

As for England, I don't think we're as good as we were in 2003 or 2007 and I think we might go out in the group, hopefully we get through and don't get embarrased.

Is this the England cricket thread?

Of course we could go out in the group stages but really, it would be a BIG shock and at this stage you look you're usual silly self...

On a sensible note, I think (hope) we meet the Aussies in the semi's - we have more than enough to get out of the group as winners and are certainly capable of beating France in the quarters. The bench mark will be set on Saturday...

#5 PALMERSTON

PALMERSTON

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

Oh dear Young Torres the blue has moved his Cricketing knowledge into the Rugby arena. As someone who only watches the rugby world cup because it is the rugby "world cup", my knowledge is very limited but even I am fairly aware that we will get out of the group stages.

#6 Guest_DDA Drogbar_*

Guest_DDA Drogbar_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

While the All Blacks are probably the strongest side, especially at home, the pressure on them to win for the first time since they won the inaugural tournament in 1987 is immense. The semi-finals will probably be France v Australia and NZ v South Africa, but I wouldn't bet against an upset in that game with an Australia v South Africa final

I will happily parade naked down the King's Road if South Africa get anywhere near the final, let alone the semi.

They are absolutely woeful.

#7 Stim

Stim

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

Yeah the games leading up the RWC haven't been too flattering but hopefully SA start performing when it counts. Useless manager and too much political interference.

#8 TorresTheBlue

TorresTheBlue

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Don't New Zealand have the choker tag

Yes, but I can't see them choking this time like they did in 2007 and 1999 against France.

I've got a feeling Australia are going to do well and will probably make the Final but New Zealand will be too strong in my opinion.

On a sensible note, I think (hope) we meet the Aussies in the semi's - we have more than enough to get out of the group as winners and are certainly capable of beating France in the quarters. The bench mark will be set on Saturday...

If we get the Semi Final then it will be a great acheivement for this England team.

I will happily parade naked down the King's Road if South Africa get anywhere near the final, let alone the semi.

They are absolutely woeful.

Yes, South Africa are nowhere near as good as they were in 2007.

Edited by TorresTheBlue, 06 September 2011 - 09:43 PM.

#9 grantdesmidt11

grantdesmidt11

CFCnet Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

We certainly won't be good to watch. And the side's key men like Matfield, John Smit and Bakkies Botha seem over the hill now. But we know how to grind out results, and win with Morne Steyn's kicking. A semi would be a fair bet.

#10 Fentini

Fentini

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts
  • Interests:Little Creatures Quite American Limited Edition

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:53 AM

The Pub is decked out and ready to heave ho as the first game looms this afternoon.

The times of the games are briliant for us here in the West all around four and Five in the afternoon kick off with just a few around noon on the weekend.

We are a nominated Heiniken club house.

Have a fun promo of $7.00 pint Heinikens till the Australian team scores a point .

My thoughts are the only team that can beat the All Blacks are the All Blacks themselves.

can't wait for the England Scotland game on The 1st Oct ..

Edited by Fentini, 09 September 2011 - 04:54 AM.

#11 TorresTheBlue

TorresTheBlue

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

New Zealand were brilliant, they're going to very hard to stop in this tournament.

England tomorrow, lets hope we do better than the cricket team earlier in the year and the football team in 2010.

#12 CFC1966

CFC1966

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Team:CHELSEA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

New Zealand were brilliant, they're going to very hard to stop in this tournament.

England tomorrow, lets hope we do better than the cricket team earlier in the year and the football team in 2010.

Just remind me, who were they playing?

#13 Paul Mcgoochan

Paul Mcgoochan

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,774 posts
  • Interests:Church,Rugby,Cycling,
    Heavy Metal,
    Reading,History,
    Politics.
  • Team:Born 1905

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

England's group is the group of death. England v Scotland could decide if we go through or not. The winner of Samoa v South Africa may decide who finishes 1st or 2nd in that group.
Australia and then Italy in their group.
I don't care how we play, just get to the final without picking up too many injuries.
Once there,who knows?

Edited by Paul Mcgoochan, 09 September 2011 - 07:49 PM.

#14 Guest_DDA Drogbar_*

Guest_DDA Drogbar_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:32 PM

England's group is the group of death.

Err...no.

#15 Bob Singleton

Bob Singleton

CFCnet Member

• Members_2012
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Interests:Photography & Live Music
  • Team:Chelsea FC since 1968

Donator

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

New Zealand were not brilliant by any means... normally you would expect them to dominate such a game, and in the final 20 minutes or so strangle the life out of such opponents. Instead it was Tonga who were the stronger side for much of the second half. I've never seen an All Black side allow weaker opponents get back into a game the way Tonga did yesterday. It's not in the nature of an All Black side to "take their foot off the pedal" so yesterday's second half performance came as a bit of a shock to me.