All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Not winning when we want to/expect to. It's always been easy to pick out some aspect of our play/set up, and blame poor performance on that. A lot has to happen further up field before zonal marking at set pieces becomes that big an issue, imo. That's my point. Irrespective of the set-up, I'd have thought. Somebody isn't doing their job - maybe a handful of 'somebodies'?
  3. Today
  4. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Ok that’s fine. Your’s is a different point. Mine was simply that we are conceding a lot of goals from set pieces because of zonal marking. Celery’s research does suggest otherwise. I haven’t checked it. Yes. My opinion is that he is wrong about that. We would have more points if he had not persevered with it. What I was trying to say was that, if he had gone man to man instead, it would not have been to the detriment of the main thrux of his system. An easy excuse for what exactly? I am not with the Sarri bashers - I am still on the fence with regards to his future and I see no real point in replacing him, but that doesn’t mean I have to sit on my hands while he follows a hapless and unnecessary defensive policy which is ultimately going to have cost us CL next year. The defenders we have are perfectly capable of defending a corner ffs.
  5. Yesterday
  6. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Thanks for taking the time to look the stats up.
  7. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Or, depending on how you look at things, how good we are away from home. Classic 'bottle half full/half empty' situation.
  8. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

We've conceded 13 goals from set pieces this season in the Premier League. Burnley (13), Everton (14), West Ham (14), Cardiff (14) and Huddersfield (14) are only sides who with have either an equal or worse record in this area. Of those 13 we've conceded, 11 goals have come away from home. Only further highlighting just how horrid we are away from Stamford Bridge. Edit: Last season we conceded 6 goals in total from set pieces, tied for the third best record. The season prior we conceded 7, tied for the second best record. Even our terrible 15/16 season only saw us concede 9 goals from set pieces.
  9. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Isn't it? Oh well, maybe it's just my point. Are we? I'm not so sure. I doubt that our stats tell us that. So, if we are actually employing zonal marking at set pieces (like so many other teams), it has to be what Sarri wants, yes/no? I'm not arguing for it by any stretch, but I think that some here are simply looking for an easy excuse.
  10. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

You may well have decided that we are not conceding too many goals from set pieces, or that it's fine to concede the goals we concede. But if like me and some other Chelsea fans, you think we are giving away too many cheap goals from set pieces, I dont think you should be blaming it on the gods. Heaven knows what Sarri is paid millions of pounds for.
  11. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

It works - we don't concede much. It is the old circular argument: Sarri is crap => Sarri's system fails => I told you Sarri is crap.
  12. You see it is precisely this anger because he takes notes that convinces me that all the complaints about Sarri are about personal style and nothing to do with him as a team manager.
  13. Can't remember what game it was but the ref had just blew for kick off and the camera cut to Sarri about 10 seconds later and he was already writing!
  14. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Whether we go zonal or.one to one, it's the manager's choice. A good manager would make either system work for their eam..
  15. Bit of a tangent, but I think what happened at Arsenal was not really a commitment to playing a certain kind of football (other than in the most broad sense that it was attacking and largely possession-based, but you'd struggle to name a club within world football's best/biggest 100 or so clubs that wouldn't describe), and more to a model. Spending relatively little on transfers, bringing players through, focusing on technical ability. And on those grounds and in those terms, it was very successful. Looking at the feeling and rumours around the club about what money they have to spend, I think it may be that Wenger comes in time to be recognised as a pragmatist and not a purist as such. If we are heading towards an Arsenal model of attempted consolidation rather than trophy success, then Sarri will be a symptom and not the disease and so daft to rally against.
  16. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

The main point is we are bad at it and we are conceding avoidable goals trying to get better at it. Nothing to do with Real Madrid.
  17. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Well I can’t be bothered to look it up either, so I’ll stick with my opinion of us being worse at defending set pieces this season than any other of the last 12 seasons where we have consistently played man to man. There was a time when a corner held no fear whatsoever for us. Now it feels like one in 5 is a goal against, whatever the stats end up saying.
  18. @NUFC @AyozePG my guy 👌🏻

19. Transfer Talk Topic

Assuming we can't sign anyone I'd like to see: Arrizabalaga, Caballero, anyone (Green, Blackman, Bulka, Cumming, Collins) Azpilicueta, Reece James Luiz, Rüdiger, Christensen, Guehi Emerson, Alonso Kante, Jorginho, RLC, Barkley, Mount Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi Tammy Abraham, Giroud, Batshuayi Ampadu would go on loan, with Guehi making up numbers in training whilst playing for the development squad. James can also cover as CB. Ideally we'd buy two new midfielder so that Barkley could be sold, plus another striker instead of Batshuayi. I'd also like da Silva to replace one of our left backs but he's likely to be sold.
  20. @PrimeVideoIN Guys could you please give us an option to change Streaming Quality on PS4? It always streams in the… https://t.co/FR3aK9LbOu

21. Chelsea vs Burnley

With Spurs losing we must capitalise on it and get three points . Giroud must start this game .
  22. @OfficialFPL Announce bonus points for augero, KDB and Sterling

23. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

No the main point is that if you concede with zonal everyone blames the manager. If you concede with m4m everyone points to a specific player. And yet the decisions of the top managers at the top clubs suggest that Zonal is the better method. We are conceding no more goals than last season, and unless someone finds some evidence about set piece or corner concedes, I'll stick to my view that we are not worse at defending them.
  24. Transfer Talk Topic

Bulka is out of contract and I believe has already stalled on signing a new deal. There's a solid chance at this point he'll probably leave on a free transfer. Now that we've signed Kepa, he's unlikely to find himself playing much, if any, first team football any time soon.
  25. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

That’s not the point really. The point is that we are using it and we are absolutely bloody terrible at it. Personally, I do not see zonal marking at set pieces as being all that integral to Sarriball. If we had utilised man for man, as has been so successful for us over many years, we would have at least a few more critically important points. If he was that keen, having tried it, he should have abandoned it at Xmas and tried again in pre-season.
  26. Transfer Talk Topic

The second youngest senior keeper at the club will be Cech. Are we sure he won't put his boots on? (No initial ban presumed of course). Quite I haven't checked, but I gather the 3rd place invariably goes through. It is after all 2 games over 180 mins, which makes winning much much less of a lottery and favours the better team and then the final. This season 3rd place (2=), Leeds or Sheff U are 6 points clear of 4th, and 10 points above Villa.
  27. RLC is probably a going player (albeit still better than Kovacic and Barkely who I hope go first.) But CHO has had a hell of a lot of exposure as an 18 year old. Ampadu has been given chances. And both have played when fit adults were available at the same time. Go back 12 months - that was precisely the direction many many wanted to see Chelsea head towards. Generally you are talking in circles - statement after statement to say Sarri is not a good manager followed by "and that is why he is not a good manager". When are you going to get around to why he isn't good?
  28. Transfer Talk Topic

His injury is a real shame; Villa have really come to life in the last few months and he has been a huge part of that. It'll be a bit of a dilemma, I think, if Villa come up and want him to stay on; newly promoted sides often want experience but you'd think they'd start him regularly off the back of scoring 25 goals this season.
  1. Load more activity