All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Man to man marking will always be a better option than Zonal - it's a given isn't it? you match players with equal aerial ability and strength. Where was the zonal marking when Prague had two players completely unmarked which resulted in an easy headed goal after a set piece? They are not being coached correctly or the players are disregarding the manager or have I got zonal marking all wrong ie covering all parts of the zone where the ball could be played.
  3. Today
  4. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

36 goals conceded in 34 games so far this season. Not great, I agree. Something we need to improve. But the context is not, IMO, 'we concede more goals from set pieces'. The context is we need to concede as few goals as possible in any circumstance. And the fact of the matter is that we are conceding at generally the same rate we have for the last few years; 38 last season and 33 the year before don't make for huge differences. To a single decimal place, you're looking at 1 per game this season (admittedly so far), 1 per game last season and 0.9 per game the season before. The three years before I think are very different cases (the 10th place horror show and then two seasons with a peak squad and Mourinho drilling them so have fairly different goal conceded stats TBF), but go back to the two or three seasons before and you are again looking at around 1 goal conceded per league game. If we are doing something worse at set pieces, it follows we are doing something better at defending in open play given there's no significant decline in conceding overall. My hypothesis is that it isn't two separate things we're doing differently for those changes but one (a move to the zeitgeist possession/zonal game) so it isn't going to be as simple as getting better at set pieces and thus conceding fewer overall. It's that old short blanket chestnut; we can have warmer feet at the cost of a colder head. All meant as discussion about what is happening rather than hostility. I think everyone agrees we need to concede fewer goals, from set pieces and overall.
  5. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Well I think it is one of the easiest ways in which we could have made the points to secure CL qualification. The context is that we are now conceding double the goals from set pieces than we were before. Whether lesser teams are more likely to use set pieces to gain adavantage over us is neither here nor there. That hasn’t changed in 15 years.
  6. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

I was at the game and a couple behind me were booing when Jorginho came on. Earlier in the match I'd heard them say "where is Prague anyway, is it its own country?"
  7. Chelsea vs Burnley

Like your team, don’t quite share your ‘gut feel’ - I have a feeling we might scrape fourth. I just hope we (the crowd) put aside our gripes about Sarri, Sarriball, Jorginho, possession football, not enough minutes for CH-O etc - I genuinely believe a loud, positive crowd can push us to 3 crucial points tomorrow.
  8. Following Chelsea's Loans

If I was in charge , in between scribbling nonsense in my notebook , I'd be playing him at right back , selling Alonso and moving Azpi back to left back.
  9. Following Chelsea's Loans

https://streamable.com/6m5z0 When a club gives its teenaged on-loan FB the penalty taking responsibility, you know he is doing well. (Thanks Juni for clips)
  10. I hope there is someone there to high five you every time you think you've bagged another internet point. I'd hate to think of you all alone, having arguments that aren't actually taking place.
  11. Chelsea vs Burnley

Next two games for the top four are vital, however Watford and Leicester are also tricky. Whilst on paper we should have a chance of finishing 3rd/4th my gut is telling me that we have no chance. As for the team, I am going for: Kepa Dave Rudi Luiz Emerson Kante Jorginho RLC Willian Giroud Hazard
  12. Chelsea vs Burnley

Perhaps most important is that Burnley are now safe from relegation.
  13. So you are agreeing with me, while pretending not to. Funny old game.
  14. Chelsea vs Burnley

SKY showing their class with a delightful post match chat on the pitch with Herr Kloppy A collective back slapping ensues. Hugely disrespectful to City .
  15. Chelsea vs Burnley

Spurs , Arsenal and United all lost , this is an absolute must win game , hope we get a ref who has the first clue what Burnley are like .
  16. Chelsea vs Burnley

What a weekend this has been . New to do our job tomorrow.
  17. Chelsea vs Burnley

Time to sort out the men against the boys. All our rivals lost/losing. Do we have the balls. COME ON CHELS.
  18. Mark Kelly , BlueRod and Ham are allowed to do what they like because they're not the ones being paid a kings ransom to coach Chelsea . As I said earlier , try and keep up , He can do what he likes as long as we win.
  19. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

lol, literally no one had said that. (Although in theory it could of course be the case that it wouldn't matter at all; prizes are given for winning games, not how you concede goals)
  20. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

So double goals conceded, when playing zonal as opposed to man to man, is of absolutely no consequence? Glad we sorted that out.
  21. Now that's a jump. I just think he spends far too much time making notes and not enough time on the touchline watching the game. No silliness. No agenda. I'm not angry about it in the slightest. Just an observation.
  22. Manchester United vs Chelsea

I don't think anything matters about Man U now. Half of them are more bothered about moving on to get away from the other half. Arguably JM wanted out, and OGS perhaps wants out now. Plenty of harsh truths being said by G Neville and others, and this is not a team that will respond well to that. Arsenal a goal down at Palace at h/t. That really is promising news, I know Man U and Spurs players will choke. Arsenal no longer have Wenger as manager.
  23. Yes, I understand the thinking, but I'm not necessarily convinced by it. maybe you're right Ham, but I don't see it as a “given”
  24. Yes quite a few. Come on, many of us write post match comments on here, and often enough half time comments. Pretty sure most of us make mental notes on what they are going to say. Ironically some of the biggest "note taking stops him from observing the game properly" critics are very much the ones who post during the game - perhaps they should be disqualified from comments too. Mark Kelly, BlueRod, Ham in particular take time out from watching the game to post on here. Specifically I guess it is patterns of play he sees in the opponents. If I had to present them in front of 16 out of breath footballers and 7 or 8 translators, in a foreign language to me, I'm pretty sure I'd write down a few notes. Could you do it without notes?
  25. Manchester United vs Chelsea

United are rotten. We should never have been in a situation where we needed a last minute equaliser against them at home. I expect City to batter them and for them to be desperate for a win against us. That would be a huge tactical advantage for us.
  26. Chelsea 4 Slavia Prague 3 (5-3 Agg)

Quite aside from manager chat, what is it we are supposed to take from these stats? From my perspective, I expect a large proportion of the goals we concede to be from set pieces. We are (still, just about) one of the stronger teams in the league, and most sides we play should be relying on situations they can practice and where the playing field is temporarily levelled to really get at us. A larger number or proportion of goals conceded from set pieces really says little without context; it can be the result of absolute defensive recklessness, it can be the result of fairly well organised football that means teams don't fancy their chances in open play (especially when you consider that most set pieces we concede from are going to come from hastily defending counter attacks).
  27. Well, no. What you've presented here (I.e. that Sarri smokes and so is very likely addicted to nicotine and that there is likely some discomfort for him in not being able to sate that addiction during the game) is obviously not a leap. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I had thought you were suggesting a few more steps (leaps) than that; that pervasive note-taking is more a craving-management behaviour than a football coaching one, and that it is to the detriment of his attention. That is what Mark articulated for you and you agreed with. I was being polite before, because that position is ridiculous. It requires huge leaps to arrive at or believe in. Would make far more sense to argue that he just doesn't know what he's doing. Isn't this one of the times it makes most sense for a manager or coach to be noticing something about the opposition, their formation, tactics etc.? Shouldn't phrase that as a question in honesty. Of course it is. It'd be note taking later on that I'd be arching an eyebrow at.
  1. Load more activity