• Last visited

About ballejohn

• Rank
    CFCnet Member
  • Birthday 03/03/1984

Previous Fields

• Team
    CFC
  1. Very fun idea. Footballing wise I think it'd be successful, but not so much on the commercial side of things.. Most big brand advertisers wouldn't be too happy about that.
  2. Transfer Talk Topic

Here's the hard facts to settle the debate. Season PL Position W+T Wages Transfer Fees 02/03 #7 #9 #14 #7 03/04 #17 #10 #10 #12 04/05 #4 #18 #11 #20 (Rooney sale) 05/06 #11 #4 #8 #3 06/07 #6 #12 #9 #14 07/08 #5 #11 #11 #10 08/09 #5 #9 #12 #9 09/10 #8 #12 #10 #14 10/11 #7 #13 #9 #16 Avg: #9 #12 #12 #13 + some incomplete data: 11/12 #7 #12 So in short, Moyes has overachieved slightly and quite consistently. But I do agree with Droy that this is mostly up to some other clubs doing catastrophic decisions. If you do not agree, please visit the Telegraph link beneath and browse through a few seasons; there are a few (very) poorly teams each season that overspends heavily on crap, like "early" Man City, Sunderland, WHU.. QPR and Newcastle are more recent examples. Considering the fact that Everton has been very risk averse with their spending I don't think Moyes' record is particularly impressive even at mid-table level. The only time Everton took some risk on, 05/06, he failed spectacularly. If anyone would run the numbers on Hodgson I think we could all be in for something really pleasing. It would make me very happy if Woy came out on top. Sources: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9514149/Graphic-Premier-League-transfer-and-wage-spending-from-the-200001-season-to-201112.html http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/wage-and-the-premier-league-scaled-table
  3. Non Chelsea: Champions League

I think you're out of your element here Droy - wouldn't you be making your point no matter what the first draw was, as long as the second one was a duplicate of the first? Which means that there are 5500 Droy's arguing this in 5500*5500 different parallel timelines. Seems quite straightforward that there is a (5500*5500) / 5500 = 1 / 5500 chance that you'd be making this point. I am however quite certain that similar incidents have occurred earlier which makes your reasoning . There was two incidents I believe where the complete draw was posted by two random forum posters, and I have a foggy memory that the rehearsal draw was replicated in the real draw once before. I also just looked into something very interesting that has been mentioned loosely in some places but I haven't seen investigated somewhere. I went through the last five CL tournaments, and Barcelona has played the second leg at home in 12 of the 15 playoff rounds they have participated in. This is just from the top of my head, but I believe that having the second leg at home gives you a 55% vs 45% advantage of proceeding. I calculated* what the probability is that Barca would have had at least 12 home second legs, and the results were stunning - 1.758%. Sadly, I think it'd be very unreliable to calculate anything based on strength of opponent. Would be interesting. * Here are the calculations: http://www.wolframalpha.com/widget/widgetPopup.jsp?p=v&id=431be63678172c25475de1cba50edeea&title=p%20value%20calculator%20two%20tailed&theme=blue&i0=12&i1=15&podSelect=&showAssumptions=1&showWarnings=1
  4. Non Chelsea: Premier League

.. what? not saying he's outstandingly BAD, but what are you basing this on? After his goal today he has 3 goals in PL, 1 in LC, 1 in CL group stage. 0 assists. About to turn 23, ~100 pro starts (20 full caps).
  5. Non Chelsea: Premier League

So you're confirming it? Well, I've seen enough, it's not a rumor anymore, it's a fact. ;)
  6. Non Chelsea: Premier League

This is half tongue-in-cheek, but I can't seem to let this thought go.. Back when he disappeared just before the WC, I heard a rumour (albeit from a Swedish commentator, and never heard it again) that he wasn't really injured - he was caught with steroids. Don't know if there's much to it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it swept under the rug to protect the PL's financial interests. He does seem a hell of a lot quicker now than 1+ year ago, or is it just me?
  7. Non Chelsea: Champions League

In the Swedish top league, a bunch of teams started having artificial grass. I'm not sure anyone would be interested in seeing stats from the dreadful Allsvenskan league but it is more or less statistically proven that you DO get an advantage at home when you play on an artificial surface. Though I'd think that it'll all even out when Young Boys goes to Three Point Lane. I think there's statistics that suggests that too.
  8. Didier Drogba

I checked some stats on PL.com and I was amazed that Evra had SEVEN goals in the league! I rate him only behind A Cole and Maicon when it comes to FBs, and then I hear all these Utd fans complaining on how he's been a weak link in their defence this year.. I haven't watched him close enough to draw my own conclusion, but I will speculate that Evra has had a new, more attacking role this season. I mean seven goals, with no free kicks (right?) and no penalties.. That's absolutely huge!
  9. The Spongebob thread was classic. Are you familiar with pataphysics? Seems like it would be your kind of thing exactly..

10. Non Chelsea: Champions League

Are you serious.....?
  11. Non Chelsea: Champions League

I'd say that Fiorentina should have had two 100 % penalties tonight, the blatant push near the side line (where I think Gilardino fell over, but then got back up and kept the ball in play) plus what to me looked like a Pique-like hand ball with the ref two meters away.. I never saw any replays of any of these incidents so I may be wrong, but I don't think so. They're not on any highlight reels I've seen either? Weird though.. Though I do agree that F could have had a red card, but by that reasoning then Bayern could have had a couple as well..
  12. Non Chelsea: Champions League

Well obv the Klose goal shouldn't have been allowed, but the Gobbi red card is as clear as it gets - he elbows Robben in his throat?! Much much worse than Klose's lunge earlier in the match. He had the studs up, but retracted his leg with perfect timing so there was no force behind it. Looked terrible from one angle, quite harmless from the rest. Sort of like the (undeserved) red for JT at Goodison Park last season.
  13. Non Chelsea: Premier League

Interesting theory. Would make the whole contract situation even more complex. But I'm not sure that being widely known is reason enough to try hide the Tevez owning fact, could there be a conflict of interest somewhere? I bet if Tevez was here instead of Utd everyone would have conspiracy theories about how it really is de Vissier, Zahivi or Arnesen secretly owning Tevez and funneling away Roman's money into their own pocket :)