Sleeping Dave

Members_2012
  • Content count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Sleeping Dave

1. Frank Arnesen

quote:Originally posted by Frewmquote: I was delighted when we signed Arnesen. If we could get a youth set up like Arsenal then the future is sorted.id="quote"> id="quote"> Arsenal don't have a youth system - that is lies. They steal their youngsters from other clubs - Fabregas and Flamini both should not be there, but should be at Barcelona and Marseille respectively. I don't want Chelsea to have a youth academy like theirs. id="quote"> id="quote">And we won't! As oppossed to the Arse we are actually paying clubs for the players we take from them. The Arse instead steals. To even believe they have the stomach to trashtalk about Roman... Who is the moral and ethical platform everyone should compare themselves to?
  2. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by hernancrespoNo! Read Cyrus'es post again and see what he said. Oh! you did quote him and then you say maybe... He said that Appiah played & started at least 80% of the games that Juventus played in the last 2 seasons. Dead wrong! So Appiah went to Athens for how long then? How far did Ghana go in Athens? So Marcello Lippi bought Appiah and he was the only player that Fabio Capello inherited? Didn't Mourinho inherit Maka? I don't know how you interprete these things but they seem peculiar and one-dimensional. id="quote"> id="quote">As I have already stated. The only thing cyrus got wrong was his claim that Appiah played 80% of Juve's games over the TWO seasons. His argument holds for the first season though and the rest of his argumentation is flawless according to your links.
  3. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by hernancrespoSorry mate, you are getting me and yourself lost here. Steph Appiah was forced out of Juventus by better players. 80% of what again? OK please see the facts below and argue accordingly... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ity/4470869.stm http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/fo/profiles/6717.html id="quote"> id="quote">Not to intervene hernan but aren't you actually supporting cyrus views with these links? Cyrus stated that Appiah played pretty much every game in his first season (2003/04) which your link supports (30 games out of 34). The following season he had problems since he played in Athens and lost his place to Blasi (again supported by your link, 18 games out of 38) but did play some in the end (which yet again is supported by your link to the article where Bruce declares his interest)... So I'd say he is already arguing according to these links you provided. The only thing cyrus may have got wrong is that over the last two seasons Appiah hasn't played 80% of the Juve games but rather 66.6% of Juve's league matches. In his first year he played 88.2% of Juve's league games.
  4. Frank Arnesen

quote:Originally posted by basoleNo problem, at least you tried and gave me your time. Thanks! id="quote"> id="quote">Any time Basole. Any time.
  5. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by hernancrespo2 points that you are wrong. Juventus did not have a weak midfield before buying Vieira. They only needed re-enforcements and I wonder where you get this idea from and Appiah was never a regular at Juventus. Secondly, do you know the age that Vieira left France to join AC Milan before joining Arsenal? Do you know what year that was? Where was Essien? This last post of yours is confusing... Your post itself is double standards because you are still comparing Essien with Vieira which is a huge joke. To say that I concentrate on individuals rather than Chelsea's results is yet again, double standards! When will you ever write about another Chelsea player? 2010? Maybe... id="quote"> id="quote">Hernan, Essien has been QUALITY for Lyon over the past two seasons and after a handful of games for us I'd say he's been our most consistent performer this season together with Gallas and Terry. Last season Essien scored 5 goals in the 10 CL games and judging by his performance for us so far there is plenty of goals to come from him. I'm not suggesting he'll score a bag lika Lampard but I'd be surprised if he didn't chip in with 5-10 over the season in all competitions. Vieira is also quality and why even compare him to Essien? Vieira is getting older and there was no chance in hell we would get him anyways? So since Vieira was out of reach (due to age and past team) we went for the absolute best alternative for the type of player we were looking for, namely Essien. Have you read Maka's comments regarding Essien today? He seems to disagree with you, as José of course who has heaped praise over his performances so far. It's not only us CFC fans who says he's been good. It's pretty much everyone except a few on this site.
  6. Frank Arnesen

quote:Originally posted by basoleAt last Chelsea is serious with young players. Apparentely we are after Sahin. anyone knows about his abilities? http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_...-name_page.html Melchiot also thinks we use a direct approach to beat Liverpool, I agree with his analysis http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_...-name_page.html id="quote"> id="quote">Basole: This young turkish midfield player has been discussed on the swedish CFC forum I help administer. He is playing at Dortmund at the moment and played extremely well in Turkeys quarterfinal against China (U-17 WC in Peru), where he scored one and assisted another. Turkey won 4-1. Other than that I know little or nothing about him. Edit: Sorry. Just saw when I looked at the link that I added absolutely nothing to your current knowledge.
  7. John Terry

quote:Originally posted by True Blue GaryTerry should be captain NOW! id="quote"> id="quote">My point exactly. How can David Beckham be Captain ahead of Terry. Makes no sense whatsoever. But rest assured that when Campbell is back he'll probably push Terry to the bench again. That Sven-Göran will ruin british football. And to even think that people are accusing us of ruining English football. The answer to that lies at Soho Square.
  8. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by ChrisChelseaA subject and player that's sure to provoke much divided opinion. It's early days still, but I think Essien has stamped his class. As has been said, he's a mix of the box to box that Lamp typifies and the Maka holding midfielder. He's strong, gets the tackles in, has some vision and passing ability and can surge forward when needed. His reading of the game is good too, and at 22 (and some will again dispute this), we should have years of solid service from ME. I think he'll prove to be a great buy. Hernan, Basole? id="quote"> id="quote">A fair description on his current ability however perhaps a tad modest on his potential. Call me a overoptimistic freak but I fully expect Essien to be one of the main midfielders in the Premiership for the next 5-8 years (if he stays that long, but if he do I can see it happening).
  9. Didier Drogba

To be honest. Is it really that impossible that DD could have been on a plane to Milan the 1-2 days before a game? Perhaps he went to Milan for some quick treatment on his ankle (that he injured against Sunderland?) or perhaps some shopping or a decent meal for once in a while (I love England as a country but your food culture is without any competition the worst in Europe, sorry). And since London-Milano is like a 3 hour round-trip he could easily have gone there after practice and been back well in time for bed-time.
  10. Michael Essien

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Essien will be talked about in the same manner as JT, Lamps, Cech and Maka in a few months time. And as someone pointed out, we bought Maka for £16.8M at 30 so Essien for £24.4M at 22 might actually prove to be worth it. I like it that he seems to be very appreciated by his teammates as well. Quality signing.
  11. Michael Essien

Well, I have voiced my desire for Michael Essien in a blue jersey since early march after it was crystal clear that the third midfield spot were our weakest link in the staring XI (together with LB but that was due to injuries). After the game yesterday I must say that there is absolutely nothing that I saw that should make me change my mind. We have found the missing link, the final piece of the Chelsea jigsaw. When Essien was introduced he immediately took control of the midfield, something Lampard has failed to do for 3 games now (4 including the England game). Essien showed incredible compusure and with him and Maka protecting the centre we will be even stronger defensively and it will allow Lampard more attacking freedom, something that I think was clearly visible after the introduction of "Le Bison". His aggression and ball winning mentality will be important and I think that we will have a more settled midfield three with Essien as opposed to Eidur or Tiago. His physical attributes are excellent and there is no one in the prem that will outmuscle him. I can already see the battles between him and Gerrard in my head! But as so many has pointed out. It was his first 30 minutes and there is no guarantee that he will be a massive hit (although I think it is highly unlikely that he won't be a big hit given his performances for Lyon for the past 2 seasons). Everything in my mind is telling me that he will be a big player for us for many seasons ahead. I'm fully expecting Essien to be first choice ahead of Tiago and Eidur. But Tiago and Eidur will have their chance to impress and I'm delighted that we have such a talent as Tiago in the squad. I can only ask hernancrespo and Basole to be patient. Tiago will play plenty and if we consider that Tiago, Eidur, Lampard, Essien and Maka will rotate on 3 positions it's clear for everyone to see that Tiago and Eidur will get plenty of opportunities to shine. Very comparable to Joey Cole's situation last season. I know many of you might think that I'm jumping the gun here and perhaps I do. But I fully expect Essien to be as pivotal to the team as Maka, Cech, Terry and Lampard is if given some time to adjust to his bew surroundings. It's a great shame we didn't have a guy like Arnesen 2 years ago so we would have been able to get our man to an inferior price to that we just paid.
  12. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by TeRiYaKiquote:Originally posted by hernancrespoDid quite well but I wouldn't expect anything less. Early days and only time will tell... id="quote"> id="quote"> Wouldn't expect anything less? Isn't that very untrue? I'm sure you were expecting much less... id="quote"> id="quote">LOL. Very true TeRiYaKi.
  13. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by Kalquote:He only had to make a poor pass, or miss a tackle, and it was a chorus of, I told you so's! I suspect that the same will apply to Essien.id="quote"> id="quote"> And I'll be one of the people to lead that new chorus. I'm not welcoming a childish, contract-dishonouring numpty into my club and cheering him on when he plays rubbish. He either performs and I will eat some humble pie (will have to be some nice expensive stuff though - Heaven knows Essien can afford it with his £50million a week contract), or he doesn't and I get to take perverse pleasure in being right again. id="quote"> id="quote">Funny how any true CFC fan can take any pleasure in the club (Chelsea) making a signing that doesn't work out. You sure you're not a ManU fan in disguise?
  14. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by hernancrespoRipped off! No patience by JM! Buying average players at ridiculous prices! Chelsea unending money spending circus! Never buy to groom but buy and destroy! Silly silly spending! PLEASE TIAGO GO AND IMPROVE YOURSELF ELSEWHERE! I really love you and always will! You have a bright future and don't let some clowns get you down. I honestly want Tiago to leave us now and lets see how stupid we are. id="quote"> id="quote">No patience? Seriously Hernan, why are you taking the signing of Essien as the end of Tiago's stint with us? How many times must JM publicly defend Tiago before people get it? JM loves Tiago and sees him as a player with a big future at Chelsea. And just becasue the Sun writes we included him in an offer to Lyon doesn't mean it is true, right? As for calling Essien average I must ask you what you label Tiago, Guddy, Jarosik, Geremi and Joe Cole. Absolute and utter crap? Also, with the Essien signing (if it comes trhough) we will finally have 2 players for each position. We need 6 quality midfielders and now we have them in: Lampard, Maka, Essien, Diarra (well, atleast JM thinks he is quality), Tiago and Jarosik. We lost Smertin and Parker but only brought in Diarra in that position. Also, note how JM is reluctant to use Joe Cole in central mid. When he was brought on against Wigan he played behind the strikers, with Lamps and Maka behind him and Del Horno and SWP on the flanks. Also, what exactly do you mean by never buy to groom but to destroy? I mean, it's not like we have been buying the Figo's or Zidane's who might have 1-2 seasons left is it? In fact, has any player bought by JM been over 26 years old? I think not. I understand that you might feel frustrated but perhaps you should think over your arguments before you criticise? JM's thought is exactly what you are asking for. Namely buying young and then groom them. Also, I've heard of a rumour that states that Geremi or Jarosik will go to Brum if we get Essien. http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/mail/s...-name_page.html http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagen...p?newsid=143152 We NEED Essien. End of story. Finally, don't you think it is a tad disrespectful of you to slate JM in this way? After all, who is in the best position to judge what we need and don't need? You or JM? I know who I'd go for.
  15. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by WashingtonBluequote:Originally posted by Blue Jock We ended up overpaying again for a good but not outstanding player. I hope Jose can improve him to be worth more. id="quote"> id="quote"> I continue not to understand this argument, frankly. I would rather have a player who is 22 and is recognized to have the raw talent Essien has who can perhaps give us 8-10 good years and be a better player under JM than doing it the Real Madrid way and buying some "galaticos" who is 2-3 years away from retirement who may never gel. The price tag of our players has everything to do with the bottomless resources of our owner and nothing more. id="quote"> id="quote">Well said WashingtonBlue. Finally some sense.
  16. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by BlueBloodedChezzOverrated, overpriced, and with the most boring transfer saga in history preceeding his supposed arrival. He's got a lot of winning over to do, to say the least. id="quote"> id="quote">Speak for yourself BBC. He doesn't have to win me over since I have followed him for 2 seasons now. Granted, I might only have seen a handfull of complete games with Essien over these 2 years but altogether with longer highlights from Lyon games and the games on offer from the CL I must say that Essien will definately be our first chioce third midfielder, ahead of Guddy, J Cole and Tiago. As for overpriced I agree but to blame Essien for that is rather unfair. He has said all along that he wants to come to CFC and it was Essien himself who more or less forced Aulas to face reality and let him go (by refusing to talk over a new and improved contract with Lyon). I for one will greet him with open arms and I really think that we have got ourself a real gem, although at a very high cost. But then again, sign Gerrard for 30 odd millions or Essien for 23-25 millions? Sure, Gerrard is proven but he is red through and through. In Essien we will get a younger, ok hernancrespo no need to start arguing about his age again ok;), player that can be moulded by José for the next few years. In Essien we will have a great midfieder for years and years to come and he won't have any baggage unlike Gerrard. As for overrated I must wonder how many times you actually have seen him play? If you can mention one midfielder in Europe in his age bracket and position that you think is better, please fill me in. And don't forget that Essien can play in all three midfild positions and he can do it extremely well.
  17. New Kits

Well, it does seems like we are preparing to launch our new away and 3rd kits. See this link to the megastore: http://www.chelseamegastore.com/stores/che...spx?brf=chnavre It does seem like we are going to have a new away and 3rd kit. Why else would they be empty right now? Click on the images on the 3rd and 2nd kits and it states "we currently have no products in this category".
  18. Didier Drogba

quote:Originally posted by Simon Poolequote:Originally posted by guillaumeHe makes this interview 2 months ago, at the end of the last season. I read that in a french newspaper. id="quote"> id="quote"> My point proven, I thought I had heard this a few months ago. Its the papers looking through the archives to try and make it out that there are internal troubles at Chelsea we should just ignore this stuff. id="quote"> id="quote">True Simon and Giullaume. This is old stuff and slighty edged to make it more interesting. Last time around the quotes were used in its right context and was far less controversial.
  19. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by TeRiYaKiOn that video I see a Diarra. id="quote"> id="quote">Yes. Momo Diarra. LOL. Finally, you got a glimpse of him today after all that hassle with Lassana Diarra:)
  20. New Kits

Brilliant! It's looks really neat and classy IMHO. And thank God the socks are white. This is going to be a favorite I think. However, regarding the pic of the "new" white away kit I'm not too sure. It doesn't look anything like the pics from CarefreeChris and isn't silver or lightblue. Perhaps an alternative third strip?
  21. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by hernancrespoquote:Originally posted by David80quote:Originally posted by hernancrespoOn to the other points you made. Essien is a good player but what Chelsea needs is a sort of midfield General or better say dictator to boost our attack. Someone who stands up when the midfield is overwhelmed or some to pivot the attack from the middle. Look at what Ronaldinho does for club and country. Look at what Zidane did for club and country. Look at what Nedved did for club and country. Look at Aimar and Riquelme for club and country. Some who can break the defensive walls and find Drogba, Duff and Robben without going blind. Just that special someone! id="quote"> id="quote"> You diss me for not wanting to give Tiago a fair chance while you want to see more competition for Joe Coles natural position? Isn't that shocking? We already have Tiago (who has proved that once given a bit more freedom by Jo´se he is a potent threat going forward), Cole (who endured a fantastic season for us this year and firmly established himself at the very top level. Remember his games against Barca at home and both legs against B Mûnchen), and Guddy (who has proved to be a major hit in the third midfiled slot and his vision is better utilised here). So while you want a Riquelme or what have you, I'd prefer to see SWP or any other potent right winger. And I don't think it is a coincidence that the players you mention are all playing in Spain or Italy. Playmakers in that mould have never really been the way to go. José has proved that he doesn't have a problem to play with that playmaker (Rivaldo at Barca while being assistant, Deco at Porto while being manager) and I think he therefore prefers a more "solid" third midfielder that also can defend properly. Hence his obsession to get Cole to defend properly IMO. id="quote"> id="quote"> David80, You are arguing falsely and you saying that my doubting Essien's age makes me look like a fool nothing but an insult. If you are used to abusing people because of an arguement, then you need help! I am serious about this... Other people have debated on this issue without rendering insults and those are the kind of people I prefer to argue with and not someone whose mentality wonders around insolence and wild imaginations. I do not also get involved with little minds via the web especially when the person cannot read my post properly and respond accordingly. Have I not been protecting Tiago's corner in this debate? Have I not repeatedly said that Tiago should be given a chance? Did I not paste the stats regarding Tiago and Essien to butress my defence for Tiago? HAVE YOU BEEN ACTUALLY READING MY POSTS? Until, you learn to do so with due respect for people like me who are not less than TEN years your senior in age, I will not continue any conversation with you to avoid further tantrums thrown down my way. I speak for players from a continent I know! I speak for players from a continent I lived in and studied closely on such matters! I do not sit in Copenhagen and hallucinate issues and then arguing blindly! I cannot stigmatise my own people for the fun of it! When next you want to categorise people, think again and choose your words wisely. That will make you a better person than you are! id="quote"> id="quote">Serioulsy mate, I think you have misunderstood me totally. The "pointing fingers looking like a fool" quote was solely to show that your argument would be seen as less than politically correct. Of course it was not a serious judgement on your character since I would be required to actually know you to be able to do that. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I have never doubted your loyalty to Tiago and as I tried to demonstrate in my previous post I actually defend him. I just thought it was funny that you wanted a Riquelme type of player when we already have Joe Cole. Should we not groom our own players before we buy a new one? Wasn't that the argument you used on me regarding Essien? I'd prefer to sign a right wing since that would mean more games for Cole in his best position and much needed cover for Duff and Robben. Why should Tiago be worth more chances than Cole? If we'd sign a Ronaldinho type of player tat would mean even less playing time for Cole and that's something I definately don't want. I think you should read my posts again cause clearly we're misunderstanding each other. For arguing falsely I have no answer since I don't even know what you mean. I think Essien would provide options. That is a fact since we would have one more option in midfield. That's pretty much the definition of option. In my personal view I also see Essien as better than Smertin and Jarosik. If you disagree that's ok. So in my piont of view I could see us buy Essien but only if we also buy a new right wing and a striker as well. And I don't want him for £24M either. This is what I have said before. But then you asked what I thought what he would bring to us and I told you my personal view (that's the only thing I can on this matter. I can't answer what José would think Essien could bring. For that you need to ask José). So how can you say I argue falsely? I just answered your question. And if you can't take the fact that my viewpoint is different from yours maybe you should not ask for my opinion then? As for chategorising people. Who is chategorising who? It is not a valid argument to doubt Essiens age solely on the fact that he is from Africa. I think that is judgemental wether you're white or black yourself. What happened to innocent until proved guilty? In your eyes Essien is already guilty without any proof to back up your claims other than the fact that he is born in Ghana. I'm really sorry if I offend you but I can't agree with that. It takes hard evidence to alter an already established perception. Hence, until you have proved me otherwise I will continue to believe he is 22.
  22. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by hernancrespoOn to the other points you made. Essien is a good player but what Chelsea needs is a sort of midfield General or better say dictator to boost our attack. Someone who stands up when the midfield is overwhelmed or some to pivot the attack from the middle. Look at what Ronaldinho does for club and country. Look at what Zidane did for club and country. Look at what Nedved did for club and country. Look at Aimar and Riquelme for club and country. Some who can break the defensive walls and find Drogba, Duff and Robben without going blind. Just that special someone! id="quote"> id="quote">You diss me for not wanting to give Tiago a fair chance while you want to see more competition for Joe Coles natural position? Isn't that shocking? We already have Tiago (who has proved that once given a bit more freedom by Jo´se he is a potent threat going forward), Cole (who endured a fantastic season for us this year and firmly established himself at the very top level. Remember his games against Barca at home and both legs against B Mûnchen), and Guddy (who has proved to be a major hit in the third midfiled slot and his vision is better utilised here). So while you want a Riquelme or what have you, I'd prefer to see SWP or any other potent right winger. And I don't think it is a coincidence that the players you mention are all playing in Spain or Italy. Playmakers in that mould have never really been the way to go. José has proved that he doesn't have a problem to play with that playmaker (Rivaldo at Barca while being assistant, Deco at Porto while being manager) and I think he therefore prefers a more "solid" third midfielder that also can defend properly. Hence his obsession to get Cole to defend properly IMO.
  23. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by hernancrespoquote:Originally posted by David80quote:Originally posted by hernancrespo[br When are we going to get a midfield dynamite to run the show? This is what Chelsea needs and the man is not Essien... id="quote"> id="quote"> Er, Lampard anyone? Hernancrespo, I have followed your arguments concerning Essien and mate, they are non-existent. First of all, let me clarify one thing. I don't want Essien at £20-24 millions. Not a chance. But I would like to see him with us if a decent sum could be agreed upon. But what's this crap about him not being 22? I mean, unless you have ANY sort of proof your arguments are quite thin aren't they? And isn't it a bit judgemental to claim his age is fake just cause he is from Africa? Wasn't this supposed to be an intelligtent forum? What José actually has in mind is something we all have to wait for. All he said was 1 left back, 1 midfilder and 1 attacker. What is an attacker? Is the Robben/Duff positions attackers? Or are they midfielders? Is an attacker in José's eyes a striker? Lots of question but I'm afraid we will have to wait for the answers. After we sold Parker I think we do lack some quality in midfield. But since we have Tiago and Cole (not to mention Guddy) I'd prefer to see SWP and an attacker (here I mean striker) arrive before pre-season starts. But to dismiss Essien like you do, without ANY arguments whatsoever (apart from your personal viewpoint) is premature to say the least. If José are looking for a Gerrard type of player for the third midfield slot Essien is it, bar the obvious- Gerrard. id="quote"> id="quote"> My points are non-existent but yours are? Do we live in the same world? Can you proof that he is 22 years? You talk of being judgemental but doesn't your mail contradict itself? Isn't it a pot calling a kettle black? Whether you like it or not, that is my viewpoint and some of you talk from a very distant knowledge! What is actually commonsensical is that NONE of us can proof he is 22 years or not so why must your opinion be seen as final on the age issue? David, produce a better argument and like I said earlier, some of you will continue to hide under the canopy of his age and ignore the technical side of things. Tell me in all honesty, WHAT WILL Essien BRING TO CHELSEA? After all, Jose is not Nostradimus to see tomorrow but we need to buy a striker and not another defensive midfielder! Most of you talk of Essien not being a one-season wonder but what else has he done before last season? How many goals did he score before last season? Who knew him before last season? Is Essien Ronaldinho? Listen, I am not dismissing Essien as you insinuate but only express that we do not need him. Did I not paste a link regarding his last season compared to Tiago? Have you looked at that? Can we not groom the players we buy? Shocking... id="quote"> id="quote">Hrm. Well, if you read my post you would have seen that I quite clearly stated that I would rather see SWP and a striker at the club than to see Essien and a striker. Hence, the lack of valid argumentation in my previous post could be deemed answered. And what is this that I would have anything against Tiago? On the Swedish boards I post on I have repatedly defended Tiago when others wanted him out. I also mentioned in my post that I thought we might be sufficiently covered in midfild since we already had TIAGO, Cole and to some extent Guddy in that position. But IF and ONLY IF we could agree upon a fair and honest fee fore Essien (anything between £10M-£15M) he would give us some more options. This is a fact. He could play in the third midfiled slot. He could provide cover for both Makelele and Lampard. Cause lets face it, Essien would make our squad better since he must be judged as better than both Jarosik and Smertin eh? To answer your direct question on what I personally believe that Essien could add I answer this. If Mourinho prefers a Gerrard type of player (that is a box-to-box player with stamina, strength, tackling ability, endurance, passing game and vision) then Essien is the substitute if Gerrard is unavailable (which seems to be the case now). Essien is also a player that despite his perhaps more defensiv outlook can score goals and could in my eyes prove to be the long-term sub for Makelele. Cause let's face it, Maka isn't getting any younger. However, I don't believe that we need a Gerrard type of midfielder to add to the "third-midfild-spot-competition". Tiago, Cole and Guddy is enough. And we don't desperately need a long-term replacement for Maka this season. This can wait to next summer. As for now Jarosik and Smertin is enough cover for Maka. In my point of view we should sign someone like SWP, Van Der Meyde or Joaquin to get cover for right wing. That's something we desperately need and I don't see Essien fulfilling that position for us. I also want to see a new striker. Perhaps Owen? But here I'm open for discussion. To answer your point regarding Essiens age I'm stunned. My point exactly was that you doubted on his age solely because he is from Ghana. I didn't try to convince you of the fact that he really is 22. That was not the point at all. The point was that you judgementally ruled out the possibility of his age being 22 solely on the fact that he was born in Africa. That's not an intelligent argument. If I have a better argument for him NOT being 22? No, not really. But I do prefer to believe him than to start pointing fingers looking like a fool.
  24. New Kits

quote:Originally posted by mart_liquidatorI'm sure the sky blue will be very light as it's replacing the old white kit effectively. I think the kits will be OK, I do wonder what we'll wear against Wigan (blue and white stripes) I suppose it'll be a re-badged black/silver kit. I did read about the blue socks on the home kit, I for one will be devastated if that is the case, I was really pleased when we returned to white in the early 90's so will be gutted if that rumour is true. id="quote"> id="quote">I really hope that as well. I think we look class with white socks but now that we have so much gold (both on shirt and shorts) it might look a bit weird with white socks? I for one had hoped for a 70's styled kit with dark blue shirt with white crest and some white detail (sponsor, number etc), blue shorts and white socks.
  25. Michael Essien

quote:Originally posted by hernancrespo[br When are we going to get a midfield dynamite to run the show? This is what Chelsea needs and the man is not Essien... id="quote"> id="quote">Er, Lampard anyone? Hernancrespo, I have followed your arguments concerning Essien and mate, they are non-existent. First of all, let me clarify one thing. I don't want Essien at £20-24 millions. Not a chance. But I would like to see him with us if a decent sum could be agreed upon. But what's this crap about him not being 22? I mean, unless you have ANY sort of proof your arguments are quite thin aren't they? And isn't it a bit judgemental to claim his age is fake just cause he is from Africa? Wasn't this supposed to be an intelligtent forum? What José actually has in mind is something we all have to wait for. All he said was 1 left back, 1 midfilder and 1 attacker. What is an attacker? Is the Robben/Duff positions attackers? Or are they midfielders? Is an attacker in José's eyes a striker? Lots of question but I'm afraid we will have to wait for the answers. After we sold Parker I think we do lack some quality in midfield. But since we have Tiago and Cole (not to mention Guddy) I'd prefer to see SWP and an attacker (here I mean striker) arrive before pre-season starts. But to dismiss Essien like you do, without ANY arguments whatsoever (apart from your personal viewpoint) is premature to say the least. If José are looking for a Gerrard type of player for the third midfield slot Essien is it, bar the obvious- Gerrard.