Karan

Senior Moderators
  • Content count

• Last visited

Everything posted by Karan

1. Non Chelsea: Champions League

This is actually quite ridiculous. Wilshere is 19 and has been a part of Arsenal's squad for atleast two seasons (starting from 2008/09) and this is the season where he's really come into prominence. Over the last 2 seasons he's been given appearances in the Carling Cup, FA Cup and CL games (not too disimilar to McEachran) and it was a loan move to Bolton for half a season that has given him the relevant experience. FWIW he played in 8 games for Arsenal in the 08/09 season, and 7 in the first half of the 2009/10 season. At Bolton he played 14 games for them for half a season. McEachran turns 18 in March and for his age, and given our squad situation, I'd say he's done well to even get 14 appearances* for the first team. He's only been with the first team squad for 7 months, and he's barely completed a season. Yet, people on here are keen to compare their experience levels or progress, when they're currently in completely different situations. I know negativity is the theme of the hour and its cathartic to have a good moan about Chelsea's situation, but sometimes a degree of patience and common sense is needed. *At the start of the season how many expected him to make even 5 appearances let alone 14?
  2. Injury News

Seen here in first team training.
  3. Josh Mc Eachran

In general I'd have to agree that the setup of you're midfield is probably the way to go. Not so much a flat midfield, as no team actually plays that way nowadays - it's all 'between the lines' so to speak. More like a 4132. Mikel/Essien Ramires/Essien - Lampard - Malouda/Zhirkov But Ramires on the right of a midfield 4 as a shuttler is the best solution ATM. He's the one player who brings an energy and tempo the team's play. His ability to press the opponents higher up the pitch, and accelarate from defence to midfield to attack with pace is something that needs to be utilised alot more. At the Confederations cup 2009, for Brazil, where he came to prominence it was a similar role (aiding the RB Maicon) that helped Brazil overpower their opponents. Granted he's not the most technical player in the team but some attributes are also of key relevance to a team's play. McEachran as a DM is slightly nerving (I'd still see Mikel/Essien there). I see him more useful on the left of that attacking midfield 3 than anywhere else ATM. Lampard may not like it, but at this moment playing him centrally is the best solution, with Malouda on the left. A.Cole needs support in defence/attack more than anything else.
  4. Looked very calm and composed in the press conference. And also answered the tricky Liverpool questions without looking flustered.
  5. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

He wears 4 for Brazil as well. A bit of uniformity, I guess.
  6. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

Torres Vs David Luiz :)
  7. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

Guardian: David Luiz embraces Chelsea but will never abandon Brazil
  8. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

Was hoping for this signing more than anyone else. I've always been impressed with Luiz whenever I've seen him and I believe that with a proper time period to settle in, he'll be a key player for many seasons to come. A quick defender with an excellent ability to bring the ball out of the defence is always a sight to behold. With his arrival, there is now a good possibility to rotate and rest defenders over the coming months. Ivanovic will have to revert to RB, and while some may see it as an issue, I don't. I'd like to think that any footballer would love the opportunity to play frequently and being a versatile defender allows Ivanovic to do that. Rest assured I'm alot more comfortable about our defence than I was at the beginning of the season. Here's wishing David Luiz a very successful career at Chelsea! Matic is a tall, strong central midfielder with a good passing range (like Ballack). Very left footed but not too mobile on the pitch. In my opinion he's more suited to playing a deeper midfield role, that is defensive midfield, with a midfield partner who is energetic and can do his running for him. He needs to play at a quicker tempo though if he wants to be a better player and settle quickly into the Portuguese league. Hope that helps.
  9. Hernan Crespo & Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink send their regards. :) Slightly stunned by the entire set of events yesterday. Didn't expect much, so as not to encounter disappointment. But clearly alot of groundwork seems to have gone into making this deal happen. 50m - too much ofcourse, but if he shows the form and condition that he's done when fully fit then it'll be a worthwhile investment. Lots of questions as to how the team will now setup but it could most likely mean playing a midfield diamond which in our current situation wouldn't be a bad idea. The prospect of Drogba & Torres linking up is now quite exciting. Here's wishing Fernando Torres all the best in a Chelsea shirt!
  10. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

Details of the transfer - Duncan Castles on Twitter: Confirmed by Benfica: http://web3.cmvm.pt/sdi2004/emitentes/docs/FR31637.pdf
  11. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

On Twitter according to Duncan Castles:
  12. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

Record also states that there will be a pre season friendly between the 2 teams as well at the Estadio Da Luz.
  13. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

According to Jason Burt (Telegraph) it seems likely as well: http://twitter.com/jasonburt_tele
  14. OFFICIAL - David Luiz Joins PSG.

On Twitter: RT @DuncanCastles Word from Lisbon is that #Benfica have agreed to sell David Luiz to Chelsea. Not confirmed by #CFC yet. Details later
  15. Salomon Kalou

An absolutely ridiculous and insipid performance from him vs Marseille. You'd have hoped that after Drogba's departure from the pitch he'd atleast step up and show something that atleast belies his 200+ game experience for Chelsea. Instead he went anonymous and wasn't to be seen on the pitch, apart from when he'd end up losing the ball. I've constantly argued this to those who stand by his case - for a 3rd choice striker/attacker he is absolutely no where near the standard that we need. A quality 3rd choice striker would atleast have taken one of the few opportunities that he had yesterday. A quality 3rd choice striker would actually put alot more pressure on the duo of Drogba & Anelka, and compete with them for places in the side. Not to mention that a quality 3rd choice striker would actually fill the void of either DD or NA without a significant drop in quality, both in terms of the individual and team play. Its a pity that the club's board hasn't seen this for the last few seasons. Instead what we got was a typical Kalou display - - Indecisiveness in the final 3rd; - Inability to see a team mate in acres of space (to be fair alot of our players were guilty of this against Marseille); - Once he was in space his woeful shooting technique allows him to blast the ball above the goal, not even hitting the target - he's squandered similar opportunities many times before; - One thing that he used to do well was atleast hold a position on the pitch - in the last 2 games he's been barely able to do that, allowing Baines to run past him as if he wasn't there, and not even managing to make the Marseille LB think twice about surging forward. Now he may well go onto score bucketloads this season or he may not. Irrespective of that now, and it may sound too judgmental or me being harsh on him, but I've completely given up on him actually making any difference for the team. Nice guy that he may be off the pitch, on the pitch he's just not cutting it for me.
  16. Frank Arnesen

Not sure what to make of FA's departure, in the grand scheme of things. One question I do have though is what happens to his scouting network? Or more specifically the scouts - he was the one who appointed them, and they were answerable to him. Do they now exclusively work for Chelsea or is there another round of cost cutting or downsizing yet to happen. I'm aware that the club has started to establish a strong local scouting network, which may well be less answerable to FA - unlike the foreign based scouts. If thats the case, then its probably a sure shot that steps to bolster the squad will take place in January, isn't it? FWIW, I still think that the days of the all powerful English style manager (for top English clubs), ala SAF & Wenger, are done and dusted and will probably go with their retirements. I still do think that a Sporting director will be brought in though questions of power sharing are still yet to be addressed. At Milan CA had to work with Galliani and Braida, who determined the transfer policy. Question is, that at Chelsea, there is no one who all too powerful like Galliani is at Milan, ie. someone who's seemingly trusted by Berlusconi even if at times (or at most times) Berlusconi's will prevails. Tenebaum, who's on the club board, is the closest advisor to RA. Wonder how much power he has in a board which includes, Gourlay, Buck, Forde, and Arnesen. And given that RA, is now quite exclusively going to be involved with the Russian 2018 bid, he's more likely to perhaps delegate even more power, than usual to someone on the board. Unless I'm reading this wrong. Doubt it. Iniesta is not a Catalan and is from Albacete, south of Catalonia. Pedro is from the Canary Islands. Barcelona's scheme at La Masia works like this.
  17. Gael Kakuta

From Ben Lyttleton on Twitter: L'Equipe article Basic points: - Say he's close to signing - Talks on Thursday for 4 hours were fruitful - 4 year contract offered - nothing signed yet - Player taking time to think - based on the time he's played this season
  18. Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Some interesting bits on the Academy in today's Papers: Guardian: How Chelsea's talent factory is creating the John Terrys of tomorrow Guardian: What's life at Cobham like for Chelsea's stars of the future? Independent: Chelsea slash academy deals
  19. Injury News

Lampard out until December. Had an issue with his abductor muscle after training yesterday.
  20. Josh Mc Eachran

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2216689,00.html Named in England's U21 squad. Congratulations.
  21. Salomon Kalou

Sure he did. But for a player of his experience, and with the amount of time and space he was afforded at times last night, surely his account should have had more than a solitary assist. Were you really happy or even content with the way he played?
  22. Non Chelsea: Champions League

Actually Pinto whistled as soon as the Copenhagen player was in an excellent counter attacking position, which confused the striker, who stopped immediately. EDIT: A video of it. I'd have to say though it was bloody cheeky - he even smiles at the end of it all.
  23. Non Chelsea: Champions League

Sod all this Bale talk. I was thrilled to see our good old favourite Jesper Gronkjær play quite well for Copenhagen against Barcelona. Plus he was quick to react to his teammate's horrific situation with some quick thinking. How Valdes was never sent off for that, one wouldn't know? Oh! Its Barcelona.
  24. Injury News

Because Zhirkov played 2 full internationals for Russia over the international fortnight. Ancelotti suggested as such: Surely you don't see anything sinister in that?
  25. Non Chelsea: Premier League

To be honest, Hodgson's not really helping himself either. Some of his comments and prickly press conferences are quite the sign of a deperate man. He conveniently hid behind the H&G ownership saga and the poor squad mantra of the media. Granted their squad isn't strong for a Top 4 finish, but there is enough in it to atleast beat Blackpool, Sunderland & Birmingham. I agree with Droy, Benitez isn't a bad manager. In fact I'll go on to say that he's one of the few quality continental managers out there. But his sense of delusion at Anfield was worth watching at times. On the other hand: the Rooney saga at ManU? Interesting. Expect the player and SAF to patch up soon.