CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

JaneB   
9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Over the whole soundtrack, yes.  
The Hills Are Alive  is a brilliant opening song.  But I have to say that Somewhere Over The Rainbow is an even better one.  

I said that to annoy Chara Droy (it's a long running joke) although I still believe it!!

14 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I said that to annoy Chara Droy (it's a long running joke) although I still believe it!!

I suspect it takes a lot more than the Sound of Music to annoy Chara  :)
But it is a great film.  
Actually last Christmas with all the TV stations we have, I saw about 3 different versions of SofM.  None of them remotely as good as the Julie Andrews version.

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

No ;-)

(Nothing holds a candle to The Sound of Music anyway)

I'm very much on the side of the South Korean cinema owner - who wishing to pack in as many people as possible in order to increase his takings - edited out all of the songs!

Ruudboy   

Nearly died of a surfeit of saccharine during a visit to the Von Trapp mansion in Stowe, Vermont, since which the Sound of Music brings me out in hives. Porgy and Bess for me, any time.

JaneB   
12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I suspect it takes a lot more than the Sound of Music to annoy Chara  :)
But it is a great film.  
Actually last Christmas with all the TV stations we have, I saw about 3 different versions of SofM.  None of them remotely as good as the Julie Andrews version.

I would never in a million years have seen you as a SofM fan.  

5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'm very much on the side of the South Korean cinema owner - who wishing to pack in as many people as possible in order to increase his takings - edited out all of the songs!

I had to read that a number of times to understand it and I'm still not sure I do.

3 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I had to read that a number of times to understand it and I'm still not sure I do.

The Sound of Music was SO popular in South Korea that cinemas were showing the film back to back with just enough time to get one lot of customers out and the next lot in. Some were even doing so 16+ hours a day, starting early in the morning.

One theatre (it is said) decided that making the film shorter meant they could play it several times more a day than when shown full length... so they cut all the songs out. 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I would never in a million years have seen you as a SofM fan.  

Well thankyou.   But it's amazing what happens when you try to teach your daughters that something is really good   (of course you give up by their mid-teens).
The more you insist how great it is, the more they reject it, and the more you convince yourself you are right.
They still won't read Wuthering Heights (to my mind the only good reason to be a girl is to read Wuthering Heights - note to Jane, not meant to be taken 100% literally)
They still don't "get" the Marx Brothers, and I like them more than ever.

Daddy - do you want "Ducks Soup" for Christmas again.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well thankyou.   But it's amazing what happens when you try to teach your daughters that something is really good   (of course you give up by their mid-teens).
The more you insist how great it is, the more they reject it, and the more you convince yourself you are right.
They still won't read Wuthering Heights (to my mind the only good reason to be a girl is to read Wuthering Heights - note to Jane, not meant to be taken 100% literally)

When my daughter was around 10 years old, she, along with her classmates, was asked by her teacher to bring in her favourite music CD to play in class on the last day of term before the Christmas holidays. "SPICE" by the Spice Girls had been released a few months earlier, and pretty much all the girls in her class brought copies of that CD. Not my daughter, though. She brought in London Calling by The Clash. No doubt entirely my fault, as she lived with me from about the age of four until she left uni in 2008

Duck Soup is excellent (Hail Freedonia!), but Monkey Business was always my favourite.

JaneB   
7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I did teach my daughter that The Sound of Music was 'Something Good' and against type she still loves it to this day!!