CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Ham   
7 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I was in the Sound of Music at college. I was "Third Nun". It's a long story to do with hats. :-0

My step-dad was a Nun or at least that's what I heard him answer when he was asked at the Job Centre "What work have you done this week?"

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2021 at 2:24 PM, chara said:

and MT..stay strong.... we stay united against the SoM barbarians.... a true Social Divide....

Truly awful. On the (very) odd occasion that I've been forced to watch it, I've rooted for the Nazi's - particularly when I'm being confronted by the nauseating Lonely Goatherd!

On 11/4/2021 at 2:24 PM, chara said:

the question...hotly debated with Mrs C...I maintain Debby is his daughter by Martha..Mrs C disagrees...your take?

Sorry chara, but I'm with Mrs C on this one! I'm certain that he'd have liked it to be that way (as would have she), but it wasn't to be (he didn't ask, but his brother did), and he couldn't stay around, so he went off to the army. That's the way I've always seen it anyway.

chara   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Truly awful. On the (very) odd occasion that I've been forced to watch it, I've rooted for the Nazi's - particularly when I'm being confronted by the nauseating Lonely Goatherd!

Sorry chara, but I'm with Mrs C on this one! I'm certain that he'd have liked it to be that way (as would have she), but it wasn't to be (he didn't ask, but his brother did), and he couldn't stay around, so he went off to the army. That's the way I've always seen it anyway.

Very well stated MT.....I  follow your reasoning and although I see her as his daughter you make a very good case for her being his niece thank you for the insight.

Oh..I consider the farewell scene , so brilliantly understated, between Ethan and Martha one of the most moving moments in any movie....first viewing probably missed it but having watched it so many times we all know the outcome.......

As my usual aside...one of the first westerns I was taken to see as a very young lad was "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon".....my view of life ahead was radically influenced by the Ben Johnson scene as he fled from the Comanche war party and jumped his horse across a chasm and escaped....the nuances and amazing storm on the open plains eluded my very young attention and years later The Searchers finished the process....and here I am in the Rocky Mountains..Jeremiah Johnson  country having visited the Beechers Island battle site and the Summit Springs battle site.....Summit Springs raised the hair on my neck and it took me a while to settle.

Off music generally on this post but....but always loved "Lorena"......

chara   

OK..back to music...if you take the following Classic Musicals..a short list with of course many other candidates for inclusion BUT we will stick to the following and I challenge you all to name your favourite song

South Pacific, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, Carousel (with one exception!) and "That Swiss One"...I'm tempted to include Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and Calamity Jane in a sub section...not classic musicals but great songs...so two sections.....

The only "live" musicals I remember seeing were an Amateur Production of "Pirates Of Penzance....Barnum at the London P and Evita in Denver the last being a complete and utter waste of time...halfway through "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" before I realised what was being sung! 

4 hours ago, chara said:

Oh..I consider the farewell scene , so brilliantly understated, between Ethan and Martha one of the most moving moments in any movie

With you there chara. 

4 hours ago, chara said:

As my usual aside...one of the first westerns I was taken to see as a very young lad was "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon"..........years later The Searchers finished the process

Throw in Rio Grande, and couldn't ask for a better education!

4 hours ago, chara said:

Jeremiah Johnson  country

Another brilliant movie right there. Arguably Bob Redford's finest performance.

10 hours ago, chara said:

OK..back to music...if you take the following Classic Musicals..a short list with of course many other candidates for inclusion BUT we will stick to the following and I challenge you all to name your favourite song

South Pacific, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, Carousel (with one exception!) and "That Swiss One"...I'm tempted to include Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and Calamity Jane in a sub section...not classic musicals but great songs...so two sections.....

The only "live" musicals I remember seeing were an Amateur Production of "Pirates Of Penzance....Barnum at the London P and Evita in Denver the last being a complete and utter waste of time...halfway through "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" before I realised what was being sung! 

I love music.
I love films.
I love the theatre.

... but I ****ing HATE musicals! 🤣🤣

What is the point? Characters are talking to each other and then suddenly all burst into song, then go back to talking again. Seriously? Put the songs to one side and play them separately as a concert, annd just get on with the play/film without the musical intrusions.

Ham   
23 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I love music.
I love films.
I love the theatre.

... but I ****ing HATE musicals! 🤣🤣

What is the point? Characters are talking to each other and then suddenly all burst into song, then go back to talking again. Seriously? Put the songs to one side and play them separately as a concert, annd just get on with the play/film without the musical intrusions.

Grease and Bugsy Malone aside, I agree 🙂

chara   
11 hours ago, chara said:

I have to add West Side Story!!!

Bob and Ham...hmm....generally I have to sort of agree...not my first choice of go to movies but once you get past the obvious funkification as pointed out by Bob there are some great songs.....BUT...for instance great dancing and music in West Side Story but I've seen harder/tougher bowls of porridge than the Jets and Sharks...but Rita M..wow!!!

Ham   
3 hours ago, ShedEndMassive said:

My all time number one song.