CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Recommended Posts

Ham   
3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Today's music is the one thing which makes me glad I'm no longer young.

You've got Adele and Sheeran as the two biggest stars in the world making soppy drivel your gran can like. The mind rottingingly dull Drake is even more boring and bland.

If you're not into them you've got  the just as dull as dishwater rap and so called r&b with its computer generated beeps. ZZZZZ.

From the 60's through the 70's, 80's and 90's Rock/Pop used to evolve with new styles and great bands and artists coming through every few years or so. From The Beatles, Stones to Led Zep, Heavy Metal. Mowtown. Glam Rock.  Disco/soul/funk. Punk/New Wave. Two Tone. New Romantics. 80's synth and hip hop. Grunge. Brit Pop. All inovative but popular chart music as well - apart from Led Zep who didn't release singles.

Now,  it's stuck in a rut with same old stuff year after year after year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

100% agree with all of this. 

Although the Arctic Monkeys are a lasting exception.

Edited by Ham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ham said:

100% agree with all of this. 

Although the Arctic Monkeys are a lasting exception.

Seriously... The Arctic Monkeys? 🤢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

Seriously... The Arctic Monkeys? 🤢

Love 'em. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   
3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Today's music is the one thing which makes me glad I'm no longer young.

You've got Adele and Sheeran as the two biggest stars in the world making soppy drivel your gran can like. The mind rottingingly dull Drake is even more boring and bland.

If you're not into them you've got  the just as dull as dishwater rap and so called r&b with its computer generated beeps. ZZZZZ.

From the 60's through the 70's, 80's and 90's Rock/Pop used to evolve with new styles and great bands and artists coming through every few years or so. From The Beatles, Stones to Led Zep, Heavy Metal. Mowtown. Glam Rock.  Disco/soul/funk. Punk/New Wave. Two Tone. New Romantics. 80's synth and hip hop. Grunge. Brit Pop. All inovative but popular chart music as well - apart from Led Zep who didn't release singles.

Now,  it's stuck in a rut with same old stuff year after year after year.

To be honest, at the time it did not seem all that special though, in retrospect, I can see what you mean. The thing is that some of the bands of the sixties and seventies had some very average evenings and there were many numbers that just didn't work that well, especially on stage. They died for us - frequently. The really brilliant bands were those that did an 8 out of ten every night along with an occasional flawless performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

To be honest, at the time it did not seem all that special though, in retrospect, I can see what you mean. The thing is that some of the bands of the sixties and seventies had some very average evenings and there were many numbers that just didn't work that well, especially on stage. They died for us - frequently. The really brilliant bands were those that did an 8 out of ten every night along with an occasional flawless performance.

Tbh, I was thinking more about records than live performances.

Back in the day, live performances could indeed vary greatly. But, back then equipment  was far below what it is today. Also acoustics of venues was very hit and miss. 

I remember Paul McCartney talking about a Beatles gig at Shea stadium where they couldn't even hear themselves playing. Today, there's all this auto tuning and vastly superior sound systems.

Some pop bands and singers even get away with mimiing parts of songs in live gigs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RDCW   
On 28/11/2021 at 0:24 PM, boratsbrother said:

Today's music is the one thing which makes me glad I'm no longer young.

You've got Adele and Sheeran as the two biggest stars in the world making soppy drivel your gran can like. The mind rottingingly dull Drake is even more boring and bland.

If you're not into them you've got  the just as dull as dishwater rap and so called r&b with its computer generated beeps. ZZZZZ.

From the 60's through the 70's, 80's and 90's Rock/Pop used to evolve with new styles and great bands and artists coming through every few years or so. From The Beatles, Stones to Led Zep, Heavy Metal. Mowtown. Glam Rock.  Disco/soul/funk. Punk/New Wave. Two Tone. New Romantics. 80's synth and hip hop. Grunge. Brit Pop. All inovative but popular chart music as well - apart from Led Zep who didn't release singles.

Now,  it's stuck in a rut with same old stuff year after year after year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'd hesitate to assert that opinion mate; it sounds like every Dad in every generation that ever lived 😜.

There's no doubt that mainstream music is pretty poor and formulaic at the moment (although Adele is a guilty pleasure of mine). I don't get the obsession with second rate ego driven rap (but love Eminem), loathe what is now called R&B (which used to be something different when I were a lad), really don't understand the status or the sales of Ed Sheeran, who is an utter pseud whose mid atlantic lyrics have as much to do with his authentic experience as Milli Vanilli's vocal prowess, and lament the British public's ongoing love of novelty songs (with the exception of The Darkness, which is parody anyway - "Don't let the bells end" anybody?). There is, however, as much good music around as ever there was, if you look. 

For my part I have always loved 50's Rock and Roll, 60's music in all its forms, grew up really on eclectic 70's music, really love and now appreciate 80's (although at the time I was scornful of it because as a dope-smoking devotee of guitar and prog rock I thought it was effete, not real music and I didn't understand boys wearing makeup). I have a weakness for Country ballads, but love Blues. The 90's were relatively barren for me as far as I can recall, with the odd gem like my all time favourite band, The Manic Street Preachers.

Enduring favourites, Bob Dylan, The Jam, Santana, Leonard Cohen, The Kinks, Johnny Cash, Manics, Jim Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Led Zep of course, Pink Floyd, early Queen, pre 1980 Bowie, OMD, Human League, Spandau Ballet, UB40, Ultravox, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Steve Earle, Del McCoury, Willie Nelson, Eagles, Fats Domino, Fleetwood Mac, The Clash, Green Day, Guns n Roses, early Elton John, The Who, Nirvana, Feargal Starkey, Gary Moore, Elvis Costello, The Pogues, Pulp, reluctantly Oasis, because they are utter knows, Blues players too numerous to mention, Kirsty McColl, Supertramp, KT Tunstall, Proclaimers, Squeeze, Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder, London Grammar,  All kinds of harmonica music ..

In other words eclectic!

 

As for guilty pleasure, 

Adele, The Monkees, Paul Young, The Darkness, Pink, Nanci Griffiths, Billy Joel, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RDCW   
On 06/11/2021 at 0:36 PM, Bob Singleton said:

I love music.
I love films.
I love the theatre.

... but I ****ing HATE musicals! 🤣🤣

What is the point? Characters are talking to each other and then suddenly all burst into song, then go back to talking again. Seriously? Put the songs to one side and play them separately as a concert, annd just get on with the play/film without the musical intrusions.

Generally I hate them too, and for the same reason, but Oliver was the best thing I have ever seen in the West End (The Palladium) and Saturday Night Fever is one of my favourite movies.....go figure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruudboy   

Now Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters, age 50. RIP. Saw you at Glasto a few years ago, great gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   

Absolutely gutted by this news.  I love the band and as an amateur drummer myself, I absolutely loved Taylor.

Anyone who saw them live will know what character Taylor was. Like a smiley version of Animal from the Muppets.

RIP Taylor 💙

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor Hawkins? Bloody hell . Great drummer .How awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now