CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

5 hours ago, Ham said:

My all time number one song.  

Hell yeah. The cool thing is this video was posted just yesterday from the official Nirvana account. I'm not sure this video existed to the public before.

Today's music is the one thing which makes me glad I'm no longer young.

You've got Adele and Sheeran as the two biggest stars in the world making soppy drivel your gran can like. The mind rottingingly dull Drake is even more boring and bland.

If you're not into them you've got  the just as dull as dishwater rap and so called r&b with its computer generated beeps. ZZZZZ.

From the 60's through the 70's, 80's and 90's Rock/Pop used to evolve with new styles and great bands and artists coming through every few years or so. From The Beatles, Stones to Led Zep, Heavy Metal. Mowtown. Glam Rock.  Disco/soul/funk. Punk/New Wave. Two Tone. New Romantics. 80's synth and hip hop. Grunge. Brit Pop. All inovative but popular chart music as well - apart from Led Zep who didn't release singles.

Now,  it's stuck in a rut with same old stuff year after year after year.

Ham   
3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

You've got Adele and Sheeran as the two biggest stars in the world making soppy drivel your gran can like. The mind rottingingly dull Drake is even more boring and bland.

If you're not into them you've got  the just as dull as dishwater rap and so called r&b with its computer generated beeps. ZZZZZ.

From the 60's through the 70's, 80's and 90's Rock/Pop used to evolve with new styles and great bands and artists coming through every few years or so. From The Beatles, Stones to Led Zep, Heavy Metal. Mowtown. Glam Rock.  Disco/soul/funk. Punk/New Wave. Two Tone. New Romantics. 80's synth and hip hop. Grunge. Brit Pop. All inovative but popular chart music as well - apart from Led Zep who didn't release singles.

100% agree with all of this. 

Although the Arctic Monkeys are a lasting exception.

Edited by Ham

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

100% agree with all of this. 

Although the Arctic Monkeys are a lasting exception.

Seriously... The Arctic Monkeys? 🤢

Ham   
1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

Seriously... The Arctic Monkeys? 🤢

Love 'em. 

Sciatika   
3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

To be honest, at the time it did not seem all that special though, in retrospect, I can see what you mean. The thing is that some of the bands of the sixties and seventies had some very average evenings and there were many numbers that just didn't work that well, especially on stage. They died for us - frequently. The really brilliant bands were those that did an 8 out of ten every night along with an occasional flawless performance.

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

To be honest, at the time it did not seem all that special though, in retrospect, I can see what you mean. The thing is that some of the bands of the sixties and seventies had some very average evenings and there were many numbers that just didn't work that well, especially on stage. They died for us - frequently. The really brilliant bands were those that did an 8 out of ten every night along with an occasional flawless performance.

Tbh, I was thinking more about records than live performances.

Back in the day, live performances could indeed vary greatly. But, back then equipment  was far below what it is today. Also acoustics of venues was very hit and miss. 

I remember Paul McCartney talking about a Beatles gig at Shea stadium where they couldn't even hear themselves playing. Today, there's all this auto tuning and vastly superior sound systems.

Some pop bands and singers even get away with mimiing parts of songs in live gigs.