CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Recommended Posts

Ham   

Absolutely gutted by this news.  I love the band and as an amateur drummer myself, I absolutely loved Taylor.

Anyone who saw them live will know what character Taylor was. Like a smiley version of Animal from the Muppets.

RIP Taylor 💙

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor Hawkins? Bloody hell . Great drummer .How awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2021 at 0:24 PM, boratsbrother said:

Today's music is the one thing which makes me glad I'm no longer young.

You've got Adele and Sheeran as the two biggest stars in the world making soppy drivel your gran can like. The mind rottingingly dull Drake is even more boring and bland.

If you're not into them you've got  the just as dull as dishwater rap and so called r&b with its computer generated beeps. ZZZZZ.

From the 60's through the 70's, 80's and 90's Rock/Pop used to evolve with new styles and great bands and artists coming through every few years or so. From The Beatles, Stones to Led Zep, Heavy Metal. Mowtown. Glam Rock.  Disco/soul/funk. Punk/New Wave. Two Tone. New Romantics. 80's synth and hip hop. Grunge. Brit Pop. All inovative but popular chart music as well - apart from Led Zep who didn't release singles.

Now,  it's stuck in a rut with same old stuff year after year after year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was only born in 74 so missed they heyday of the 60s and 70s and while it will always be my musical home (massive Zeppelin fan which probably explains why I can't afford to be at the Bridge that often), there has been a truckload of **** music back then too. Just as there is tons of great music now, if you open your mind. I think the main difference is that back then you had radio stations especially the US college stations who would give bands airtime who then build a following and grew from there, while nowadays only what's commercially successful gets played ad nauseum. I hardly listen to radio for that reason, but there is plenty great music out there across all genres. 

Bands like Royal Blood, Idles, The National are ace, Dave and Stormzy are amazing rappers, there are tons of young blues artists bringing out amazing stuff etc and if you look back till the turn of the century and there are hundreds of great acts / albums. Music is alive and well, it's just harder to find

Edited by GianfrancoZola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   
3 hours ago, GianfrancoZola said:

I was only born in 74 so missed they heyday of the 60s and 70s and while it will always be my musical home (massive Zeppelin fan which probably explains why I can't afford to be at the Bridge that often), there has been a truckload of **** music back then too. Just as there is tons of great music now, if you open your mind. I think the main difference is that back then you had radio stations especially the US college stations who would give bands airtime who then build a following and grew from there, while nowadays only what's commercially successful gets played ad nauseum. I hardly listen to radio for that reason, but there is plenty great music out there across all genres. 

Certainly true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GianfrancoZola said:

I was only born in 74 so missed they heyday of the 60s and 70s and while it will always be my musical home (massive Zeppelin fan which probably explains why I can't afford to be at the Bridge that often), there has been a truckload of **** music back then too. Just as there is tons of great music now, if you open your mind. I think the main difference is that back then you had radio stations especially the US college stations who would give bands airtime who then build a following and grew from there, while nowadays only what's commercially successful gets played ad nauseum. I hardly listen to radio for that reason, but there is plenty great music out there across all genres. 

Bands like Royal Blood, Idles, The National are ace, Dave and Stormzy are amazing rappers, there are tons of young blues artists bringing out amazing stuff etc and if you look back till the turn of the century and there are hundreds of great acts / albums. Music is alive and well, it's just harder to find

Of course there was a lot of tripe back then as well as the good stuff. My problem with todays music is that it all sounds so derivative of what I've heard before. Blues was/is one of the few genre's that does nothing for me. Country and Rap being two others, though I have to be brutally honest and say I dont think Rap even deserves to be classed alongside all the other genres. Talking along to bland, boring, repetetive, computer generated bleeps is not what I personally class as music. So devoid of everything traditonally associated with pop music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruudboy   

Try this … 

 … use to listen to it on AFN Germany back in the 60s. Early rap. There ain’t nothing new in music. And if the blues does nothing for you, keep trying - happy to provide inspiration. Ditto country. It ain’t all rock n roll, BB … 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Of course there was a lot of tripe back then as well as the good stuff. My problem with todays music is that it all sounds so derivative of what I've heard before. Blues was/is one of the few genre's that does nothing for me. Country and Rap being two others, though I have to be brutally honest and say I dont think Rap even deserves to be classed alongside all the other genres. Talking along to bland, boring, repetetive, computer generated bleeps is not what I personally class as music. So devoid of everything traditonally associated with pop music.

All I can suggest is to expand your horizon and fill your life with amazing new music. You list 4 broad genres and dismiss them, without appreaciating to all the nuance within. Just like in rock where there is a massive discrepancy between Nickelback and Zeppelin, so is there in every other genre. You are basically saying you don't like football, because you can't stand Liverpool. There is amazing blues out there and you are fooling yourself if there isn't a blues artist out there who is right up your street, same for country, jazz, folk etc. And to dismiss Rap and Electronic music outright isn't helping your argument either. So again, open your horizon, forget about genres (in the end there is only good and bad music regardless of the label someone decided to give it) and enjoy. Try these albums, all seemingly out of your comfort zone, all absolute masterpieces. Of course you are perfectly entitled to still not like them, but then I am afraid you are beyond help:) Enjoy

Darrell Scott - A crooked road

Dave - Psychodrama

Portishead - Dummy

Faithless - Passing the Baton

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert

The Streets - Original Pirate Material

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruudboy   

^ Agreed. I’ve pretty eclectic tastes, and some of these are new to me - looking forward to giving them a listening!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2022 at 9:48 AM, GianfrancoZola said:

All I can suggest is to expand your horizon and fill your life with amazing new music. You list 4 broad genres and dismiss them, without appreaciating to all the nuance within. Just like in rock where there is a massive discrepancy between Nickelback and Zeppelin, so is there in every other genre. You are basically saying you don't like football, because you can't stand Liverpool. There is amazing blues out there and you are fooling yourself if there isn't a blues artist out there who is right up your street, same for country, jazz, folk etc. And to dismiss Rap and Electronic music outright isn't helping your argument either. So again, open your horizon, forget about genres (in the end there is only good and bad music regardless of the label someone decided to give it) and enjoy. Try these albums, all seemingly out of your comfort zone, all absolute masterpieces. Of course you are perfectly entitled to still not like them, but then I am afraid you are beyond help:) Enjoy

Darrell Scott - A crooked road

Dave - Psychodrama

Portishead - Dummy

Faithless - Passing the Baton

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert

The Streets - Original Pirate Material

I didn't "dismiss" 4 genres. All I said was that blues and country does nothing for me personally. Neither does Opera, but no way would I dismiss the talent of a great Opera singer just because that genre is not to my personal taste. 

I 'm actually not the greatest Beatles fan, but they are without doubt the most popular and important group there's ever been and I can recognise that.

Rap is the big no no for me because as I said, it has nothing in common with what I personally class as musical ability associated with every other genre there has been.  No great singing voice required. Vocal harmonies.  No great instrumentation and riffs. Chorus and verse that fit together to make great songs etc. 

Having said that, I do not dismiss the actual talent of being a great rapper. But rapping, stands apart on its own for what it is. 

 

As for me expanding my horizon.

I like to think I do have a pretty diverse taste, but I admit it is from years decades gone by  Everything from Abba to Zep.  Slade. Sweet. Roxy Music. Bowie. Motown. 70's disco,  70's Reggae. Soul and funk. Punk/New Wave.  Early Oasis and Arctic Monkeys, plus many others from those decades.

I wi also admit that as I got older I lost interest in music and that's because new music isn't aimed at people of my age, which I see as good thing. For me, the best music has always been made by young artists aimed at young people. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now