CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Sciatika   

A brilliant thing I have been listening to lately (over and over) is Nina Simone's version of "Just Like a Women". The way she ends the song is just astonishing.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I didn't "dismiss" 4 genres. All I said was that blues and country does nothing for me personally. Neither does Opera, but no way would I dismiss the talent of a great Opera singer just because that genre is not to my personal taste. 

I 'm actually not the greatest Beatles fan, but they are without doubt the most popular and important group there's ever been and I can recognise that.

Rap is the big no no for me because as I said, it has nothing in common with what I personally class as musical ability associated with every other genre there has been.  No great singing voice required. Vocal harmonies.  No great instrumentation and riffs. Chorus and verse that fit together to make great songs etc. 

Having said that, I do not dismiss the actual talent of being a great rapper. But rapping, stands apart on its own for what it is. 

As for me expanding my horizon.

I like to think I do have a pretty diverse taste, but I admit it is from years decades gone by  Everything from Abba to Zep.  Slade. Sweet. Roxy Music. Bowie. Motown. 70's disco,  70's Reggae. Soul and funk. Punk/New Wave.  Early Oasis and Arctic Monkeys, plus many others from those decades.

I wi also admit that as I got older I lost interest in music and that's because new music isn't aimed at people of my age, which I see as good thing. For me, the best music has always been made by young artists aimed at young people. 

Too late to edit so have to add this. Also like some  real old crooners like Andy Williams and Dean Martin. Enjoy videos of the amazing Buddy Rich. Some early 80's hip hop hits from  A Tribe Called Quest, Eric B & Rakim and others from that time.

55 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

A brilliant thing I have been listening to lately (over and over) is Nina Simone's version of "Just Like a Women". The way she ends the song is just astonishing.

love Nina Simone. Pastel Blues is another masterpiece, and especially her extended cover of Sinnerman is up there with the absolute best ever recorded. 

5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Too late to edit so have to add this. Also like some  real old crooners like Andy Williams and Dean Martin. Enjoy videos of the amazing Buddy Rich. Some early 80's hip hop hits from  A Tribe Called Quest, Eric B & Rakim and others from that time.

no need to justify your taste. Just hope you keep exploring, so much great stuff out there. One point though on your rap comment. while rappers rarely have the vocal ability of Freddie Mercury and their music often comes out of the box, lyrically it is probably the most relevant genre of the last 2 decades.

Ham   
7 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

So you DO like rap 🤔

17 minutes ago, GianfrancoZola said:

no need to justify your taste. Just hope you keep exploring, so much great stuff out there. One point though on your rap comment. while rappers rarely have the vocal ability of Freddie Mercury and their music often comes out of the box, lyrically it is probably the most relevant genre of the last 2 decades.

The lyrics are not remotely relevant to me, my family or friends.  Having said that, the lyrics to Stairway To Heaven and Bohiemian Rhapsody are utter gobblledegook, but still alltime classics.

Edited by boratsbrother

48 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The lyrics are not remotely relevant to me, my family or friends.  Having said that, the lyrics to Stairway To Heaven and Bohiemian Rhapsody are utter gobblledegook, but still alltime classics.

As English is my 2nd language, I have always been more of a music than a lyrics person. But listen for example to this and tell me that lyrics aren't relevant even to you. Utterly powerful (and rap) - 

Sciatika   
1 hour ago, GianfrancoZola said:

love Nina Simone. Pastel Blues is another masterpiece, and especially her extended cover of Sinnerman is up there with the absolute best ever recorded. 

Yes, Sinnerman is a classic and Stange Fruit from Pastel Blues. Also Wild is the Wind on the album of the same name.

1 hour ago, GianfrancoZola said:

As English is my 2nd language, I have always been more of a music than a lyrics person. But listen for example to this and tell me that lyrics aren't relevant even to you. Utterly powerful (and rap) - 

I checked it out.

Thought it might be interesting with the first few bars - rapper at the piano...all good, so far.

Sadly, it quickly degenerated into the same old, repetitive, boring whining drivel. And, I'm going to be very straight and blunt here..I found it out right racist.

Dreadful, dreadful stuff imho.