Codger

Injury News

I'm sorry for all the lads. This World Cup is a potential highlight of their careers.

But imagine all these injuries happening two months ago.

Karan   

Who will be vice captain...Rooney? *shudders*

Lampard's been named as the Vice-captain.

The injury situation for the Chelsea players is ridiculous. Essien and Mikel are unfortunate in that they miss a World Cup, moreso the first on African soil.

On Drogba, apparently his injury will be re-examined today. If there is a need for surgery then Chelsea also have to give their consent for it to happen.

From l'equipe

Translation:

Contrary to the our earlier report, Drogba is not out of the 2010 World Cup. The Ivorian striker who on Friday suffered a fracture while taking part in a friendly game against Japan (2-0) has decided to undergo surgery.

Drogba who collided with the Japanese defender Tulio at the 19th min expects to be back in 10 days. He therefore may be ready for the opener against Portugal on June 15th.

A fractured elbow takes 8-10 weeks to heal and he'll be back in 10 days? No wonder I only got CSE grade 3

Olusisi   

A fractured elbow takes 8-10 weeks to heal and he'll be back in 10 days? No wonder I only got CSE grade 3

He might play hurt at the world cup, it is something he has done regularly in his Chelsea career.

Keyrun   

I don't think its a fractured elbow though, he fractured a bone near his elbow. Or that's at least what I've read elsewhere. He's still a major doubt to make it though.

rangoon   

Anyone know the latest on Essien and Bosingwa? They undertaking light training yet or still a way off?

Karan   

Anyone know the latest on Essien and Bosingwa? They undertaking light training yet or still a way off?

From Stamford The Lion:

Michael Essien, John Mike Obi and Daniel Sturridge have been playing keepy-uppy while they wait to undergo a series of medical tests.
Jose Bosingwa is in and looking well, so too Ross Turnbull...

Guess we'll know more during the next week.

Karan   

Again pertaining to Bosingwa, Mikel & Essien:

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2084852,00.html

Michael Essien and John Mikel Obi were both back with the squad after periods out at the end of last season, and while they will be doing slightly different work from their team-mates, they will have a full involvement in training.

Jose Bosingwa meanwhile is not yet ready to join with the rest of the players as he continues his comeback from knee surgery, but it is hoped he will be ready for the start of the competitive season on August 8.

rangoon   

Thanks Karan.

It's going to be great having Essien back for selection and Boss too, we did the double pretty much without either of them so were going to be awesome when they're 100%.

Too excited about the new season!!!!