Flo17

Movies

chara   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Not strange at all. I will just say though, that Go Tell The Spartans is arguably the finest 'anti-war' film I ever saw. And Lancaster is absolutely superb in it.

I will look for it....in no way am I a pacifist..far too cynical and sometimes world weary for that...and "anti-war is as sane an attitude as I can imagine

Hopefully not with a cutless between your teeth!

Not exactly but many a smiley dream sequence on a deserted beach....a misquote but from memory.."I may not live like a pirate but I"ll die like one",,which of course  neatly brings the circle back to JB looking at 40!!!

My top Duke westerns.."The Searchers" "The Shootist"..brilliant opening montage..."She Wore A Yellow Ribbon"..."The Man who Shot Liberty Valance"...disliked it on first viewing but see it differently at a more rounded age!..We took my sister on a tourist type train trip a couple of years back,,,having great fun playing up to all the stereotype train scenes in Westerns...."Nothings too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance"...etc...mad English I think was the reaction from the staff and fellow travellers!

I rank "Rio Grande" Stagecoach" "Red River"and "Fort Apache "slightly lower but only just..most of the others are standard vehicles..with the exception of "Rio Bravo"

Of course anything with Ben Johnson and a lesser extend Harry Carey JR is always a plus.

May be sacrilegious but prefer the remake of "True Grit" although the "Fill Your Hands you Son of a Bitch" scene takes some beating and the remake pays due homage to it. (puts SoM in it's place!..sorry Jane!)

Edited by chara

6 hours ago, chara said:

My top Duke westerns.."The Searchers" "The Shootist"..brilliant opening montage..."She Wore A Yellow Ribbon"..."The Man who Shot Liberty Valance"

Can't argue with this choice chara. I'd add Rio Grande, if I could.

6 hours ago, chara said:

"Nothings too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance"

One of the great lines! And he was talking about a spittoon!

6 hours ago, chara said:

Of course anything with Ben Johnson and a lesser extend Harry Carey JR is always a plus.

Once again, we agree.

6 hours ago, chara said:

May be sacrilegious but prefer the remake of "True Grit"

Can't agree mate. I didn't mind the remake as a film, although I took a while to see it. There is only one Rooster!

6 hours ago, chara said:

although the "Fill Your Hands you Son of a Bitch" scene takes some beating

Still raises the hairs on the back of my neck. 

JaneB   
6 hours ago, chara said:

My top Duke westerns.."The Searchers" "The Shootist"..brilliant opening montage..."She Wore A Yellow Ribbon"..."The Man who Shot Liberty Valance"...disliked it on first viewing but see it differently at a more rounded age!..We took my sister on a tourist type train trip a couple of years back,,,having great fun playing up to all the stereotype train scenes in Westerns...."Nothings too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance"...etc...mad English I think was the reaction from the staff and fellow travellers!

I rank "Rio Grande" Stagecoach" "Red River"and "Fort Apache "slightly lower but only just..most of the others are standard vehicles..with the exception of "Rio Bravo"

May be sacrilegious but prefer the remake of "True Grit" although the "Fill Your Hands you Son of a Bitch" scene takes some beating and the remake pays due homage to it. (puts SoM in it's place!..sorry Jane!)

Getting tedious now Chara :-(

chara   
4 hours ago, JaneB said:

Getting tedious now Chara :-(

Ahh Jane.....it's an instinctive reaction!......will let it slide (for a while!)

JaneB   
1 hour ago, chara said:

Ahh Jane.....it's an instinctive reaction!......will let it slide (for a while!)

There are so many worse things you could hate.

Ruudboy   
58 minutes ago, JaneB said:

When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when you're feeling sad ... presumably?

• Like 1

chara   
1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Indeed....mostly in Manchester and Liverpool but Burnley and North London covers a lot! (Dartford and Fort Lauderdale..joint armpits of the World for me)

And to be more serious..Peanut Butter...Cheese..( I know)... Cheese because it was forced upon me at school dinners..(horror),,,and to be honest ..and for the last time at present same with SoM by Mrs C...

(Almost a subject for a new off topic forum but suspect too short of a shelf life!)

Anyway..I refuse to fall out with you .....so indeed the Hills here are alive........

and Ruudboy....sigh...

JaneB   
1 hour ago, Ruudboy said:

When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when you're feeling sad ... presumably?

Exactly.  And then... I simply remember my favourite things and then I don't feel so bad.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Indeed....mostly in Manchester and Liverpool but Burnley and North London covers a lot! (Dartford and Fort Lauderdale..joint armpits of the World for me)

And to be more serious..Peanut Butter...Cheese..( I know)... Cheese because it was forced upon me at school dinners..(horror),,,and to be honest ..and for the last time at present same with SoM by Mrs C...

(Almost a subject for a new off topic forum but suspect too short of a shelf life!)

Anyway..I refuse to fall out with you .....so indeed the Hills here are alive........

and Ruudboy....sigh...

Over The Sound of Music?  I don't think so.  Or over anything for that matter.  

(And apologies to anyone on here who comes from Dartford)

Ham   
3 hours ago, JaneB said:

Exactly.  And then... I simply remember my favourite things and then I don't feel so bad.

Over The Sound of Music?  I don't think so.  Or over anything for that matter.  

(And apologies to anyone on here who comes from Dartford)

My better half does 🙈

(It really is a sh#thole though)

• Sad 1

Jasonb   

Talking about Westerns, I liked Shane.

A few weeks back I saw Hombre starring Paul Newman.

It was unusual as set among a small group of people  and the characters and personalities get questioned as they try to get out of a fix.

A very unhollywood ending as the only realistic one takes action with unforeseen circumstances despite a good plan.