Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Blood Is Blue

Death Of English Football? Vote Now!

Should English Premiership clubs play abroad?  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Should English Premiership clubs play abroad?

• Yes
    • No

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/7232390.stm

Apparently the Premier League are considering having 39 games a season for each team, with the 39th match being played abroad!! The matches would be drawn out of a hat and the top 5 wouldn't be able to meet each other.

Surely this is just unfair. What if you are fighting relegation and you get drawn against one of the big 4? You have to play one of them 3 times in a season, and deal with playing in a strange city. I think it is ridiculous! Why not host friendlies at the end of the season if they really want to spread the word of the PL!

CRAZY!

Seb   
The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

It is unlikely that any decision will be taken before the Premier League's annual summer meeting in June.

Should the proposal get the go-ahead, cities in Asia, Middle East and North America are likely to show a strong interest in hosting the extra games.

BBC Sport believes there would be five venues, with two games - on a Saturday and Sunday - taking place at each one.

If this goes through, it's the final nail in the coffin for the football we know. Fact.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/7232390.stm

Apparently the Premier League are considering having 39 games a eason for each team, with the 39th match being played abroad!! The matches would be drawn out of a hat and the top 5 wouldn't be able to meet each other.

Surely this is jus unfair. What if you are fighting relegation and you get drawn against one of the big 4? You have to play one of them 3 times in a season, and deal with playing in a strange city. I think it is ridiculous! Why not host friendlies at the end of the season if they really want to spread the word of the PL!

CRAZY!

The flip side of that is true as well. What if the Premiership went down to the wire and all hinged on the final day? All games are played at the same time so that no advantage can be given to any team, isn't it? But what if Chelsea were playing in France (GMT+ 1hr) and Man United were playing in Hong Kong (GMT+ 7hrs).

I think its a bloody nonsense to be honest.

jared   

have to agree. I 100% disagree with this idea. the PL dont need more money....

if this starts to go ahead there has to be a mass demonstration with fans from all clubs involved.

What a ****ing joke! Football has been taken over by twats that are just hungry for money, this takes away the meaning of home and away games. It takes away the point of the relegation battles and also loadsa fans ain't gonna be able to afford to travel around the world for one game.

Nicholas   
The flip side of that is true as well. What if the Premiership went down to the wire and all hinged on the final day? All games are played at the same time so that no advantage can be given to any team, isn't it? But what if Chelsea were playing in France (GMT+ 1hr) and Man United were playing in Hong Kong (GMT+ 7hrs).

I think its a bloody nonsense to be honest.

Regardless of what I think about the idea, I doubt the matches you describe will be featured in the last five games of the season. The proposal is likely to cover the first 5-6 months of a season.

Ove   

Amidst all the controversy over the overcrowded international fixture list and lack of a winter break sapping strength from fatigued players, the likes of Man Utd still finds time to play against nothing teams several time zones away at first opportunity. It's all about the money, isn't it?

The title decider could very well come down to one of the top three contenders drawing Aston Villa, while the others get Derby and Sunderland. Most people agree that the best team in the country always win the league, why would we want to change that?

Got a feeling that if the PL try to push this ahead then there will be mass demonstrations, match boycotts, everything.

How would the fat cats feel if stadiums are half empty week-in, week-out?

Benners   

I can just see these European cities getting really excited at hosting Chelsea v Spurs or Man U v City. Wholescale bar wrecking & rioting.

They just wouldn't allow it.