Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken's electric fence

Acoustics In The Mhl And Shed

I remember reading a post on here after the bolton fan forum about there going to improve the mhl acoustics this pre season but haven't said anything about the shed at the moment. Is something thats needed at the bridge though.

toby2604   
Can anything be done to help the lads who make the noise . Anyone technically minded on here.

Give them microphones :)

But in all seriousness I think a major re-veneration would be needed to improve acoustics up there.

homerdaz   
I don't understand what acoustics are :(
  1. (used with a sing. verb) The scientific study of sound, especially of its generation, transmission, and reception.
  2. (used with a pl. verb) The total effect of sound, especially as produced in an enclosed space: "Such annoyances are frequently caused by flaws in the acoustics rather than the performers" (Mel Gussow).

In our circumstances it means that however loud we are a lot of the sound is lost or directed away from within the stadium. The classic problem we have is the Harding and Shed ends not being able to hear the other end singing and half of the same stand not singing in unison with the other. A lot of ideas and suggestions have been put forward to the club via the fans forum and atmosphere committee, we had a possitive response in the last AC meeting but nothing practical as yet.

Tim   

From my own perspective, the whole stand needs to sing THE SAME SONG at THE SAME TIME. Too often from my Shed Upper view I can see the MHL in full song, but it's pretty obvious that the there are two or even three songs going on, or maybe it's the same song but being sung by three different groups.

The same goes for the Shed Upper. We can't sing the same song together and we can't keep time. Someone will start a really loud "Zigger zagger" and then some other muppet will start another song/chant at the same time. It's not a freakin' competition against each other, guys 'n' gals. The other thing I've noticed is there always seems to be a race to get to 'the best line' of a song ('and Leicester' being a prime example).

I really hate the idea of drummers, etc. at the Bridge but we need a little discipline. If one stand could boom out the same thing at the same time it would be a massive improvement.

So, the same song at and in the same time would be a giant step in the right direction. You would also find that the acoustics got better naturally if this happened, as the sound waves wouldn't be fighting each other for airspace.

Maybe an operatic fool in a a suit twirling a scarf would get everyone going.....oh wait.....

I don't think they'll physically do much to the bridge at the moment. Perhaps its a case of us fans empowering our selves and making a concerted effort to sing longer and louder? We were good this season (mostly) and while places like anfield are in decline for average prem games I think we are in the ascendancy. Just need to keep it going and conscientiously make an effort.

Hopefully the cloud thats been over the bridge for a while will clear and that may help..

Maybe an operatic fool in a a suit twirling a scarf would get everyone going.....oh wait.....

I don't think they'll physically do much to the bridge at the moment. Perhaps its a case of us fans empowering our selves and making a concerted effort to sing longer and louder? We were good this season (mostly) and while places like anfield are in decline for average prem games I think we are in the ascendancy. Just need to keep it going and conscientiously make an effort.

Hopefully the cloud thats been over the bridge for a while will clear and that may help..

I agree with Tim. Us fans need to sing in unison and sing the same song.

I am situated in the middle block and some times I hear about 3 different songs going at the same time.

QueSera   
From my own perspective, the whole stand needs to sing THE SAME SONG at THE SAME TIME. Too often from my Shed Upper view I can see the MHL in full song, but it's pretty obvious that the there are two or even three songs going on, or maybe it's the same song but being sung by three different groups.

Because of the acoustics there always tends to be a slight time delay between all four (two?) stands singing. As you also point out, there is often two, three or more sources (or even different songs) in any one stand - particularly in a large group as the MHL. This doesn't happen when there is a 'central source' such as when Liquidator is played before the game.

Strangely this seems to have been more of a problem over the last season or two. I can only think this is because not enough fans join in with one song/chant and therefore allows a secondary one start elsewhere in the stand (because they haven't heard the first one). Ten Men Went To Mow has been poor this season and even Hello, Hello hasn't had the echo I remember from two seasons ago.

The simplest solution is for everyone to join in a song/chant as soon as possible then there will be more chance of a loud song from at least one stand if not more.

Tim   
Because of the acoustics there always tends to be a slight time delay between all four (two?) stands singing. As you also point out, there is often two, three or more sources (or even different songs) in any one stand - particularly in a large group as the MHL. This doesn't happen when there is a 'central source' such as when Liquidator is played before the game.

You obviously don't sit anywhere near me then! Where I am, the people around me can't even get the clapping right. Steve and I usually look at each other in despair.