OzzyCFC

Non Chelsea: Champions League

Shelly   

I know Spurs are going through tonight its just a shame Gattuso isn't playing...I'd enjoy seeing his rematch with Joe Jordan..

cii99mn1   

The ref was a disgrace, I'm amazed that people can even defend him.

The ref was a disgrace, but not totally biased against Arsenal, for example Messi should have had a penalty that never was given.

Still I wonder how dilusional Wenger can be saying that he was sure Arsenal would win it beofre the red card. They hadn't mustered a single shot by then.

I will be praying for a ManU-Barca tie nest round if (which I don't hope) ManU win against Marseille.

If Spurs reach the Quarter Finals they will have to play midweek between their league games against Wigan, Stoke and Manchester City. Personally, I think they could do with having the distraction. ;-)

Whilst I agree with your logic.....naaaah I really need to see them dumped out, though I am not holding out much hope.

The ref was a disgrace, but not totally biased against Arsenal, for example Messi should have had a penalty that never was given.

I agree with you. Barca were also on the wrong end of two decisions in the first leg.

But the red card...?

One of the most pathetic decisions I have ever seen (and funniest, admittedly).

That ref really ought to be demoted to the Swiss equivalent of the Ryman's League.

That one decision alone should end his career.

Van Persie clearly wasn't time-wasting, he's entitled to have a shot, and even if he isn't, it wasn't a huge liberty, just have a quiet word with him and carry on.

In the words of Van Persie...

"For god's sake, man!"

I despair of these officials, they are ruining the game.

Like Ovrebo, he will just carry on.

Basically a terrible, terrible decision. The frustrating thing about ref's is they seem to have little to answer for when they wreck games by poor decisions. Whilst I understand they can make mistakes, surely its time to consider assistance from technology to make their lives a little easier? There is to much riding on these games for such amateurish mistakes to keep happening, especially when the audience gets to re-run and analyse the events after the fact.

I am hoping we get another favorable draw, if we can actually put together a consistent string of wins and confidence returns to the team, maybe we can push on in the CL this season.

nrm262   

I'd like to see Spurs/Madrid in the next round. It'd be pretty funny watching Ramos cover Bale. This is of course assuming both teams go through.

Karan   

That one decision alone should end his career.

Van Persie clearly wasn't time-wasting, he's entitled to have a shot, and even if he isn't, it wasn't a huge liberty, just have a quiet word with him and carry on.

Like Ovrebo, he will just carry on.

This is where the inconsistency between English and continental referees becomes evident.

In England the referees are more keen to allow the game to flow even if it is to the detriment of players. Which is why you'll see Rooney, Carragher, Rafael, De Jong, et al and in the interest of being fair David Luiz also, get away with certain fouls. Contrast that to a continental referee and you'd see all those people mentioned and their errors being punished for yellows/reds.

The referees on the continent in general are pedantic and stickler for rules. Van Persie was already treading a dangerous line from the Alves foul and because of the Barca players reaction it stuck in the referees' mind. Post the the yellow card he also did commit another silly foul.

Unfortunately most English sides (including us*) are not very good at playing the referees like the way Barca or any other Italian or Spanish side do.

*We used to be a bloody cynical side at times under JM (watch Inter last season)**. Nowadays it seems an edict from within the club to not be overly demonstrative since Frisk gate and even more since Ovrebo gate.

** A particular game: Barca V Chelsea at the Nou Camp, group stage. Barca played dirty, we responded in kind. They didn't like it one bit - we got on their nerves and drew 2-2. The end of the match saw a hilarious overreaction by the Barca players and manager (Rijkaard).

Shelly   

** A particular game: Barca V Chelsea at the Nou Camp, group stage. Barca played dirty, we responded in kind. They didn't like it one bit - we got on their nerves and drew 2-2. The end of the match saw a hilarious overreaction by the Barca players and manager (Rijkaard).

Was that the Halloween game in the group stages where JT threw the ball at Deco's head..? Funny !

This is where the inconsistency between English and continental referees becomes evident.

In England the referees are more keen to allow the game to flow even if it is to the detriment of players. Which is why you'll see Rooney, Carragher, Rafael, De Jong, et al and in the interest of being fair David Luiz also, get away with certain fouls. Contrast that to a continental referee and you'd see all those people mentioned and their errors being punished for yellows/reds.

The referees on the continent in general are pedantic and stickler for rules. Van Persie was already treading a dangerous line from the Alves foul and because of the Barca players reaction it stuck in the referees' mind. Post the the yellow card he also did commit another silly foul.

Unfortunately most English sides (including us*) are not very good at playing the referees like the way Barca or any other Italian or Spanish side do.

*We used to be a bloody cynical side at times under JM (watch Inter last season)**. Nowadays it seems an edict from within the club to not be overly demonstrative since Frisk gate and even more since Ovrebo gate.

We were far more cynical under JM, and there is no doubt Barca have a cynical side. A win-at-all-costs culture generally means you win a lot.

Arsenal won a lot when they were cynical.

Ancelotti must be the only manager in the history of the Prem to win it without having a pop at a ref.

I agree that Van Persie was treading a fine line, and that European refs tend to be more pedantic.

However the decision to send Van Persie off was still ridiculous, in any context.

There is no way that can be considered acceptable, by anyone, in my view.

Obviously that won't tally with Uefa's and they'll probably give him the final.

As much as the ref annoyed me last night I did quite enjoy sat in my chair at home, feet up, bottle of Tiger beer in hand, Chelsea shirt on and watching that lot get totally crapped on.

Hahah I also had a Chelsea shirt on, the terrible fluorescent one but nonetheless :))