Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulw66

Ryan Bertrand

paulw66   

I see this lad has gone on loan to Reading (teaming up with Brendan Rodgers)....

Rodgers made some very encouraging comments that he thinks Bertrand is being groomed to be the next Ashley Cole. Having not see him play, can anyone confirm / deny that this might one day be a possibility?

ish   

bertrand started life as a LM just like every other LB in the world nearly. This does mean he is very good going up. He is quite fast and skilled on the ball but lacks consistency with his crossing and his link up play isn't there yet.

As a defender he isn't even on the same level as a.Cole but none of the LB's in the EPL are. Whens the last time some1 scored when a.Cole was marking him?

Bertrand does have potential, he and hutchinson were seen as similar players but bertrand hasnt had the constant injuries that plagued hutchinson. In terms of quality as a leftback I would rate him above gibbs from arsenal and around the same level/or slightly lower as fabio from manU.

He didn't have the best time at norwich when he went on loan, not that he was bad its just that the team was so inconsistent and that doesnt help a young player. He was the main LB at the team though and was chosen ahead of gibbs enough times that gibbs was recalled since he wasnt getting games.

Hopefully he plays in the u19's world cup this year. I think him, cork, sturridge, sinclair and maybe hutchinson could all have a shot getting into the squad. They are pretty regular starters for the England u19s.

He might not get too many games at reading though as they already have a quality LB and unless the guy gets injured or sold bertrand will be back up.

EDIT: Probably ask Juni for more thorough details since he is the goto man for reserves players.

Rodgers made some very encouraging comments that he thinks Bertrand is being groomed to be the next Ashley Cole. Having not see him play, can anyone confirm / deny that this might one day be a possibility?

No chance. Another young Chelsea no-hoper who will wind up in a lower league eventually.

man bazza your such a downer. no optimism what so ever

Ask yourself why. How many young players have gone down the toilet over tha past 4/5 years? How many have reached stardom? Just one: JT.

I recall arguing about Jimmy Smith's potential a couple of years ago. Where is he now? P*ssing about at Orient.

Given that the boy has over 50 Championship appearances to date and has gone on loan to one of the the top teams in that division I don't think you can compare him to Jimmy Smith. Jimmy Smith had two good months at QPR and then was either out of form, injured or suspended for the majority of his other Championship loan spells.

Given that the boy has over 50 Championship appearances to date and has gone on loan to one of the the top teams in that division I don't think you can compare him to Jimmy Smith.

I merely cite Jimmy as an example of a young player many argued would make it. He didn't, and I do not expect Bertrand to. I have seen him may times in the reserves and in the championship and have been distinctly underwhelmed.

Bazza do have a point though...to make another example everybody that raved Scott Sinclair as "twice the player Walcott is"..3 years ago

today Sinclair has one start in the PL and Walcott have about the same amount of goals in the CL as Sinclair has PL games..and with Walcott`s nose for goal that says everything. It doesn`t help with "if you good enough you`ll play" at Chelsea. here you HAVE to be a star..otherwise you`ll be sold.

Hopefully he plays in the u19's world cup this year. I think him, cork, sturridge, sinclair and maybe hutchinson could all have a shot getting into the squad. They are pretty regular starters for the England u19s.

Not to nitpick but it's the U20 world cup and I agree that all the players you mention could well be involved - though this could be a risk to their first team prospects given that for some unknown reason FIFA has scheduled a tournament that will feature a number of major players between the 24th September and the 16th October. Players involved could miss 4 or 5 Premiership games and 2 Champions League games.

Bertrand needs a lot more experience before he'll have a chance of making it here.