CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Perhaps people's definition of "getting a chance" differ.

He started the first game against Hull, got an assist and played well. From there on in, was barely seen. Played 132 minutes of Premier League football. How anyone is supposed to prove what they can do in that short time, I don't know. 

Edit - of course he asked to leave. 132 minutes in 6 months. Most would do too. 

But the point is that no manager at Chelsea has the luxury of giving a youngster 6 months to bed in. By that time he may be out himself. So if the youngsters get's to play in three staright games and doesn't impress, chances are any manager will replace him. 

A point I'm trying to make all the bloody time, how can anyone plan further ahead then next week when managing us? 

paulw66   
58 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

But the point is that no manager at Chelsea has the luxury of giving a youngster 6 months to bed in. By that time he may be out himself. So if the youngsters get's to play in three staright games and doesn't impress, chances are any manager will replace him. 

A point I'm trying to make all the bloody time, how can anyone plan further ahead then next week when managing us? 

Which is an entirely different point.

1. If someone wants to claim KdB was given a proper chance here, and he was sold because he failed to take it, then I will never agree with that.

2. If someone wants to say KdB wasn't given a proper chance because JM was in permanent fear of his job and couldn't risk playing unknown / unproven players, then that is another conversation altogether. 

With either 1 or 2, the point I was making about Emanalo, is that in this particular example, he absolutely delivered. We paid GBP 7m for an unknown player from Genk, who 5 years later is one of the best in the world in his position. Job done, Michael. 

• Like 2

No doubt the club procurred a very talented player and it was regrettable that we could not hold onto him. This does not take away the club's responsibility to recruit suitable players for the manager when the time is right, or to give the manager time and backing to introduce and blood younger players to the first team, or appoint football people with football credentials to the board. When it comes to the first team our loan system is non-productive and our academy a counterfactual showpiece.

Edited by nutmegsw6

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Which is an entirely different point.

1. If someone wants to claim KdB was given a proper chance here, and he was sold because he failed to take it, then I will never agree with that.

2. If someone wants to say KdB wasn't given a proper chance because JM was in permanent fear of his job and couldn't risk playing unknown / unproven players, then that is another conversation altogether. 

With either 1 or 2, the point I was making about Emanalo, is that in this particular example, he absolutely delivered. We paid GBP 7m for an unknown player from Genk, who 5 years later is one of the best in the world in his position. Job done, Michael. 

What is a proper chance? If you play three games and fail to impress at this level have you been given a chance? If you start out as a first choice player and then okay yourself outlet of the starting eleven is that the managers fault or is it your own fault? If you then fail to impress in training and finally come on for a League Cup game against Swindon and are the worst player on the pitch, are you deserving many more chances on the back of that? 

It wasn't long after that game he asked to leave. Maybe he was asked to take the step up the the Premier League too soon and maybe he realised himself he wasn't ready? There's a lot of more likely scenarios than Mourinho simply discarding him which was your original claim. That I can never, ever agree with. 

2 hours ago, nutmegsw6 said:

Lucas Piazon speaks out. Assessment of the club here is spot on. 

http://theprideoflondon.com/2016/09/29/lucas-piazon-chelsea-loan/

I think 2 starts for Fulham now he is 22 is hardly a basis for criticising the club.  We spent a lot of money on buying him and paying him.  At some point I guess we extended his contract.  He was given a lot of loans to clubs that did play him, yet he never really stood out.
Now if Bertrand, after what he has achieved, wanted to criticise the club, that would be another thing.  

paulw66   
3 hours ago, nutmegsw6 said:

Lucas Piazon speaks out. Assessment of the club here is spot on. 

http://theprideoflondon.com/2016/09/29/lucas-piazon-chelsea-loan/

Speaks out. His only quote in that article:

It’s hard. I got here at seventeen. I played for the U21s for one year to adapt. Then I spent six months with the first team. I played little, I had few opportunities. I was very young too, I had just turned eighteen…

Then Mourinho arrived and I ended up having no more opportunities. So it’s hard, we go out and the club are always spending millions and millions buying more and more players and we end up getting no space. – 

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Speaks out. His only quote in that article:...

True though he was more explicit in his criticism a few weeks ago.  Not that I mind, I just don't think he is the best person to be saying it.

lzheyi   

Does it matter who speaks out?

More important is the content of it. What we don't want to end up is that highly promising youngsters don't want to come to us because of our club inability to nurture them to the highest levels possible. 

We have to put ourselves into their shoes to really understand. Certainly, would you put your child/children to our club if we aren't chelsea hardcore supporters? 

Many clubs seem happy to let their players "rot" in development squad hell.

I think we should be commended for actually trying to get them playing time somewhere.