CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

5 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Perhaps he should have been playing for the seniors.

One of those things one hopes for but should not dare to say.  But I can imagine poor Rashford going from nowhere to England superstar in 18 months, and then being superceded by Abraham who is actually 4 weeks older.

And Boothroyd has compared the two strikers, revealing Rashford is more versatile than Abraham.

"They [Abraham and Marcus Rashford] are different. Marcus can play down the middle or on the left or the right, while Tammy is more of an out and out centre forward.

"He's somebody else that has been given a chance and he's shown what he's all about. Sometimes that is what it's all about."

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, nutmegsw6 said:

And Boothroyd has compared the two strikers, revealing Rashford is more versatile than Abraham.

"They [Abraham and Marcus Rashford] are different. Marcus can play down the middle or on the left or the right, while Tammy is more of an out and out centre forward.

"He's somebody else that has been given a chance and he's shown what he's all about. Sometimes that is what it's all about."

I wouldn't disagree with that. It sometimes works to a players disadvantage to be versatile as you can get shunted around. 

One thing England are crying out for is a six yard box striker, which Abraham is (and more). Sometimes, I think Chelsea need the same. so many times we get into crossing positions to find the penalty area devoid of Chelsea players. 

Blue Rod   
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:22 PM, Sciatika said:

Zola was a backup for for 2001-2 season. Should we have sold him? No, He had one of his best season in 2002-3 (when he was 37).

I'm glad you mentioned Zola. He is just the kind of old player that is worth hanging on to. He was fit as a fiddle and had exceptional skills. If he played 15 minutes it was quality time. I don't know how for the life of me you would compare our current crop of old players to Zola. I don't know if Conte even counts Mikel as a Chelsea player right now. One thing I do know is that Mikel can play for 15 hours and you would not remember one thing he has done.

JT never had good running speed. Now his reaction speed has deserted him. That is even a bigger disability. You can't get that back. The last two big teams we played were as fast and direct as I have ever seen. The likes of Mikel would not know where the ball is, never mind get near it.

We are talking about young players, yet pile up average old players. You can't have it both ways. Either we are bold enough and give young players a chance or we just keep on with this bunch of average men. Many clubs do it successfully. I don't see why Chelsea can't.

paulw66   
46 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

We are talking about young players, yet pile up average old players. You can't have it both ways. Either we are bold enough and give young players a chance or we just keep on with this bunch of average men. Many clubs do it successfully. I don't see why Chelsea can't.

Who are these then? JT and Ivanovic are both 30+ and JT certainly still has a lot to add. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Who are these then? JT and Ivanovic are both 30+ and JT certainly still has a lot to add. 

I may not agree with Blue Rod on JT, but for once I agree with his sentiment. Football has moved on and it's all about speed and speed with the ball in your possession. We rarely play that and after 3-4 years with this bunch you'd have to ask if they have it in them. Some of them do, but players like Ivan, Cahill, Mikel, Fabregas and (yes) Matic can't keep up with that style. 

I think there's a legitimate question here. Can we, like Spurs has done, replace some of these old tiring legs with younger players with better base technique who can actually handle playing with the speed required? 

Apparently Roman has assembled a crack team (the football equivalent of the 'A Team') they are already on it; according to the Daily Mail. 

Unfortunately we will have to wait until January and next season to see what rabbits they can pull out the hat. 

IMG_0068.JPGY

Edited by nutmegsw6

Zoowraa   
3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I may not agree with Blue Rod on JT, but for once I agree with his sentiment. Football has moved on and it's all about speed and speed with the ball in your possession. We rarely play that and after 3-4 years with this bunch you'd have to ask if they have it in them. Some of them do, but players like Ivan, Cahill, Mikel, Fabregas and (yes) Matic can't keep up with that style. 

I think there's a legitimate question here. Can we, like Spurs has done, replace some of these old tiring legs with younger players with better base technique who can actually handle playing with the speed required? 

I tend to agree on this. Spurs are a good example, but they started the change by promoting from within. The likes of Rose, Kane, Bentaleb, Mason were all regulars in Pochettino first season and all promoted from within and it was the main reason behind Redknapp not being offered a new contract and Poch being brought in. Joe Lewis knew that Redknapp would not use them but Poch played them not necessarily because he thought they were part of his long term plan, but because they had the pace and energy to get around the pitch , were technically good and could play how he wanted.

I'm not a critic of Conte as way too early, but I don't buy some of the comments made in defence of him not having the tools at his disposal. He does have players who offer the pace and energy and with technical ability at his disposal, he just needs to be brave enough to pick them until he can get the players he has identified, he might be surprised too if he gives them a chance.

I'm talking the likes of Chalobah, Aina, RLC and Moses to some extent. These lads are as close to the first team now as they have ever been which is definitely progress, it's not a case for of playing them every week, but being brave enough to use them to see if they can form part of the long term future. Or at least use them as a stepping stone like Pochettino did with Bentaleb and Mason .

Edited by Zoowraa