CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

Though we may class Rashford and Abraham the same, Rashford is already a first team squad member. 

Abraham maybe loaned out again, possibly to a Premiership club, he may stay put in Bristol, the board will decide whether he returns to Chelsea or not. Our record is not great, 38 loans this season, still no-one is coming through. 

Patrick Bamford’s loan season at Middlesbrough in 2014-15 heralded 19 goals in the Championship. This season he is at Burnley, his sixth loan club, where he has figured just twice as a substitute.

1 hour ago, Zoowraa said:

I tend to agree on this. Spurs are a good example, but they started the change by promoting from within. The likes of Rose, Kane, Bentaleb, Mason were all regulars in Pochettino first season and all promoted from within and it was the main reason behind Redknapp not being offered a new contract and Poch being brought in. Joe Lewis knew that Redknapp would not use them but Poch played them not necessarily because he thought they were part of his long term plan, but because they had the pace and energy to get around the pitch , were technically good and could play how he wanted.

They were part of the plan though:

Pochettino became used to dipping into the academy during his time in charge of Southampton. The St Mary’s club have one of the most successful youth systems in Europe, but the Argentine believes Tottenham’s is better. 

“For us, it’s very important to develop our young talent because we have an unbelievable academy and training ground, and we need to profit from it,” said Pochettino. 

“It is important because the academy is always the heart of any club. It was one of the main reasons I decided to come here. The opportunity to work with this club’s academy was fantastic. I think it is the best in England, maybe even Europe. 

“When a player arrives from the first team into the academy, it is special for everyone. It is important to put this philosophy in practice and give the opportunity to our young talent. At Southampton, we always wanted to give young players a chance to play. A good example was in my last pre-season there, when we considered signing a right-back. 

“We already had Nathaniel Clyne and we were considering another. But we decided to take Calum Chambers from the academy on pre-season because we wanted to give him an opportunity. Now, a couple of years later, they are both in the England squad. It is our job to bring through young players and it is fantastic when it happens. 

“We want to try to give young players a chance at Tottenham, but only when they deserve it and we detect they may have the talent and potential to play in the first team. We would not do it just for the sake of it.” 

As well as believing that Tottenham’s academy can save Levy some money, Pochettino also thinks that the club stand a better chance of keeping players who have come through the system. He insists there are more youngsters who will make an impact after Kane, Mason and Bentaleb, with Spurs particularly excited over talents such as teenagers Joshua Onomah, Harry Winks, Nathan Oduwa and Cameron Carter-Vickers. 

“These players identify with the culture of the club and feel the club,” said Pochettino. “If you stay 10 or eight years in the club, with your dream to arrive to the first team, then when you arrive in the first team it’s difficult for you to leave. For that, it’s important to keep your culture and identify the player with it. 

“We have a lot of talent here and it is very exciting. We watch a lot of games in the Under-21s, 18, 16s and even 14s sometimes. We have a very strong staff on the academy and a very close relationship with John McDermott. We analyse and talk about players every day. 

“When you come here to our training ground it is amazing to see the eight-year-olds training and looking up to the 18 and 19-year-olds, and senior players.”

-------

Tottenham signed just a solitary player in the winter transfer window - a 17-year-old midfielder called Shilow Tracey from Ebbsfleet United, who went straight into their U18s group.

Despite being in the hunt for the Premier League title, the club also allowed three first-team players to leave - Andros Townsend, Federico Fazio (loan) and Alex Pritchard (loan) - but did not bring in any cover.

There are a number of reasons for this, one of which is the financial difficulty the club faces due to building a new stadium, but principal among them is that the club do not wish to block the paths of a number of exciting youngsters they expect to break into the first-team in the coming years.

Edited by nutmegsw6

xCELERYx   

With the way transfer fees are increasing the importance to bring through young players from the academy is only going to increase. These players will be the sorts that will compliment the bigger signings that come into the club . Having a solid foundation of playing who have come through the ranks also helps maintain a clubs identity, which is important as players come and go over time. We certainly need to improve on that going forward. 

kev61   

Loan players apart how many players have we let go that have gone on to make an impact.Remember Ryan Bertrand? A hero in our champions league win now an England international .A left footed left back!  that gets forward  - how much have we spent trying to achieve that very goal.he was Not good enough deemed by whom?

Let's remember,rashford would never have been given a chance if it were not for a long list of injuries for utd - and now he is a superstar.I will say again - give youth a chance some will fail but some will excel.Before we throw big money at dubious signings give  youth a chance.

Thorgan Hazard is a player we should get back.Imo he is better than his brother - but the slide into everything money will  continue.

Christensen's had a bit of a horror week for Denmark during the break. Errors galore, following on from what's been a pretty average start to his club season.

He's young and still learning and all that, but he's been quite poor this season. Hopefully he regains his form as the season progresses. 

paulw66   
20 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I may not agree with Blue Rod on JT, but for once I agree with his sentiment. Football has moved on and it's all about speed and speed with the ball in your possession. We rarely play that and after 3-4 years with this bunch you'd have to ask if they have it in them. Some of them do, but players like Ivan, Cahill, Mikel, Fabregas and (yes) Matic can't keep up with that style. 

I think there's a legitimate question here. Can we, like Spurs has done, replace some of these old tiring legs with younger players with better base technique who can actually handle playing with the speed required? 

Different point to the one I was making. I was challenging the statement "we stock pile average old players". We have very few old players in the squad. If you want to talk about their speed, or any other attribute, that is a different point. Compare the squad to 2012 when we had JT, SFL, AC, DD.....that was a squad whose key players were well into their 30s. 

16 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

I tend to agree on this. Spurs are a good example, but they started the change by promoting from within. The likes of Rose, Kane, Bentaleb, Mason were all regulars in Pochettino first season and all promoted from within and it was the main reason behind Redknapp not being offered a new contract and Poch being brought in. Joe Lewis knew that Redknapp would not use them but Poch played them not necessarily because he thought they were part of his long term plan, but because they had the pace and energy to get around the pitch , were technically good and could play how he wanted.

I'm not a critic of Conte as way too early, but I don't buy some of the comments made in defence of him not having the tools at his disposal. He does have players who offer the pace and energy and with technical ability at his disposal, he just needs to be brave enough to pick them until he can get the players he has identified, he might be surprised too if he gives them a chance.

I'm talking the likes of Chalobah, Aina, RLC and Moses to some extent. These lads are as close to the first team now as they have ever been which is definitely progress, it's not a case for of playing them every week, but being brave enough to use them to see if they can form part of the long term future. Or at least use them as a stepping stone like Pochettino did with Bentaleb and Mason .

Rose was bought; Bentaleb and Mason were regulars in 2014/15 in a team who that season had no aspirations to win the league* and have both now been shifted on. Kane is the only youth product who is a key player at Spurs. 

* makes it easier, less risky to give these kids a go

I don't disagree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs though. 

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

Loan players apart how many players have we let go that have gone on to make an impact.Remember Ryan Bertrand? A hero in our champions league win now an England international .A left footed left back!  that gets forward  - how much have we spent trying to achieve that very goal.he was Not good enough deemed by whom?

The issue with Bertrand is not that he is a top class left back who we should have kept, but it is our ineptitude at replacing him. £10m was good money, but looks bad when we have since bought Luis for £15m, Baba for £20m and now Alonso at £24m. 

Zoowraa   
6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Different point to the one I was making. I was challenging the statement "we stock pile average old players". We have very few old players in the squad. If you want to talk about their speed, or any other attribute, that is a different point. Compare the squad to 2012 when we had JT, SFL, AC, DD.....that was a squad whose key players were well into their 30s. 

Rose was bought; Bentaleb and Mason were regulars in 2014/15 in a team who that season had no aspirations to win the league* and have both now been shifted on. Kane is the only youth product who is a key player at Spurs. 

* makes it easier, less risky to give these kids a go

I don't disagree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs though. 

The issue with Bertrand is not that he is a top class left back who we should have kept, but it is our ineptitude at replacing him. £10m was good money, but looks bad when we have since bought Luis for £15m, Baba for £20m and now Alonso at £24m. 

Yeah fair enough ref Bentaleb , it was more Sherwood who introduced him. Pochettino was the first to play Mason on regular basis.

Pochettino moving them both on was kind of the point I was making really, I doubt that Pochettino viewed them long term as first team players, certainly not Mason. However, he played them because of the strategy he was working too, whilst using them as the best options he had to suit his style of high energy/pace and ahead of more senior alternatives. A scenario which could be similar at Chelsea now is Chalobah and RLC to some extent .

As for Rose, yes he was bought but I think his signing was a unexpensive calculated punt, rather than a player who was acquire with the first team in mind in the short term. The same kind of unexpensive calculated punt we take with the likes of Bamford for example.

Spurs took the risk by giving Rose a chance, I don't think he had made a single PL appearance before joining them.

5 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

As for Rose, yes he was bought but I think his signing was a unexpensive calculated punt, rather than a player who was acquire with the first team in mind in the short term. The same kind of unexpensive calculated punt we take with the likes of Bamford for example.

If I recall we got fined for trying to take Rose, Woods and Taiwo from Ken Bates's Leeds back in 2006.  For some reason Rose chose not to come and joined Spurs soon after.

Woods was the most promising of the 3 I guess, all played U17 football once in London, only Woods played U16 football while at Leeds.  But all 3 were signed as 16 year old punts.

Zoowraa   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

If I recall we got fined for trying to take Rose, Woods and Taiwo from Ken Bates's Leeds back in 2006.  For some reason Rose chose not to come and joined Spurs soon after.

Woods was the most promising of the 3 I guess, all played U17 football once in London, only Woods played U16 football while at Leeds.  But all 3 were signed as 16 year old punts.

I'm not sure if it's the same Danny Rose to be honest?? I think the Spurs Danny Rose came through at Arsenal and joined Spurs on a free.

Maybe Arsenal got him from Leeds.......or I'm getting things mixed up!

Edited by Zoowraa

Zoowraa   
13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Just checked. You were right , he was at Leeds. I had Arsenal in my head for some reason.