CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

chara   

The whole sorry affair is another face of the vile abuse aimed at players. It's a personal cowardly attack and has nothing to do with the truth of a story,

I dislike certain players (and non players for that matter.) and feel no shame in pointing out verified truths about playing incidents however I draw the line at fabricating stuff or using an ethnic gender or other non related slur.

The media fan the flames behind a posture of outrage whilst searching diligently for the next headline. 

I have spent a week reading such posturing here in Colorado..too close to home....and wonder how in the dim and distant past my mates and I could read Desmond Hackett and chunder on about his football reporting. Sorry Desmond..you were a voice of the game...now?

Desmond Hackett now that's a name from the past. Didn't he once say if Chelsea ever won the FA Cup he would walk home bare footed. He never did and a long walk from Old Trafford  it would have been :)

chara   
28 minutes ago, keith9351 said:

Desmond Hackett now that's a name from the past. Didn't he once say if Chelsea ever won the FA Cup he would walk home bare footed. He never did and a long walk from Old Trafford  it would have been :)

Yeah...wondered if anyone remembered him....Frank McGee (spelling)  was another at that time....was a guest at a Football Club dinner I attended...old club connection...told a hilarious questionable joke totally unsuitable for mixed audience!...anyway asked him about our Desmond with the brashness of youth..."Good lad" he said...can't say that about many today!.....just a memory or two....  I don't mind a good old fashioned bias or so but the sheer onesided positioning and headline seeking is a bit too much.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Yeah...wondered if anyone remembered him....Frank McGee (spelling)  was another at that time....was a guest at a Football Club dinner I attended...old club connection...told a hilarious questionable joke totally unsuitable for mixed audience!...anyway asked him about our Desmond with the brashness of youth..."Good lad" he said...can't say that about many today!.....just a memory or two....  I don't mind a good old fashioned bias or so but the sheer onesided positioning and headline seeking is a bit too much.

There were other anti-Chelsea hacks from way back in the day as well, who never had anything good to say about us, always slagging us off (Stuart Jones, Deryk Brown, Mike Langley, John Sadler, Roy Collins and more recently Steven Howard, Mick Dennis and James Lawton to name  but a few).  They were never objective with their reports or articles, they clearly hated us and were biased against us.  And even if we did win something, they would still find an excuse to spite us.  Sod 'em all!

chara   
4 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

There were other anti-Chelsea hacks from way back in the day as well, who never had anything good to say about us, always slagging us off (Stuart Jones, Deryk Brown, Mike Langley, John Sadler, Roy Collins and more recently Steven Howard, Mick Dennis and James Lawton to name  but a few).  They were never objective with their reports or articles, they clearly hated us and were biased against us.  And even if we did win something, they would still find an excuse to spite us.  Sod 'em all!

My sentiments exactly!

11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I was answering the post where someone suggested the rumours were started as in reality he's gay and they were being spiteful , I fully understand the narrative with regards to gender reassignment. 

Got you. I was being lazy and just picking posts. I wasn't having a pop.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:15 PM, JaneB said:

I agree although he might have felt unable to wait any longer.

Still, if it is a prank, which seems overwhelmingly likely, not clever and not funny.

Oh I agree, it's a very unintelligent prank which chara nails when he calls it spiteful. There are people out there with actual gender issues who do not feel comfortable in the gender they were born into. 

It's a low blow - not only towards James Rodriguez but to anyone who has ever faced such challenges.

• Like 1

bert19   
9 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Oh I agree, it's a very unintelligent prank which chara nails when he calls it spiteful. There are people out there with actual gender issues who do not feel comfortable in the gender they were born into. 

It's a low blow - not only towards James Rodriguez but to anyone who has ever faced such challenges.

When you see some of the social media nonsense around athletes (and celebrities in general), it doesn’t take much to imagine what would be on the front pages of The Sun/Daily Mail/Express if a player did admit to being gay, or having gender identity issues. It’s really no wonder no active player has come out since Justin Fashanu. The treatment he received was a disgrace.

There are obviously gay players right? And for all of its faults, the game does seem to offer them at least some privacy/protection from the prying eyes of the outside World & tabloid press (how deliberate that is, I’ve no real idea, dressing rooms do still seem to be shrouded in at least some degree of secrecy).
Ditto the players themselves. Most must know that they have/had gay teammates, but that information has never leaked in any definite manner. Maybe it’s a sign that players are often a lot more morally & culturally aware than we often give them credit for?

It does make one wonder when a player will feel safe enough to admit that they’re gay to the World? As things are currently, you’d have to be incredibly secure in your self-confidence to make that decision, the tabloid press in this country would be even more hateful than usual & the reaction from supporters would be pretty polarising one would imagine. I think many in this country would actively try to back players through it, but there would still be plenty that would just take it as yet another excuse to abuse people. 

• Like 1

chara   
6 hours ago, bert19 said:

When you see some of the social media nonsense around athletes (and celebrities in general), it doesn’t take much to imagine what would be on the front pages of The Sun/Daily Mail/Express if a player did admit to being gay, or having gender identity issues. It’s really no wonder no active player has come out since Justin Fashanu. The treatment he received was a disgrace.

There are obviously gay players right? And for all of its faults, the game does seem to offer them at least some privacy/protection from the prying eyes of the outside World & tabloid press (how deliberate that is, I’ve no real idea, dressing rooms do still seem to be shrouded in at least some degree of secrecy).
Ditto the players themselves. Most must know that they have/had gay teammates, but that information has never leaked in any definite manner. Maybe it’s a sign that players are often a lot more morally & culturally aware than we often give them credit for?

It does make one wonder when a player will feel safe enough to admit that they’re gay to the World? As things are currently, you’d have to be incredibly secure in your self-confidence to make that decision, the tabloid press in this country would be even more hateful than usual & the reaction from supporters would be pretty polarising one would imagine. I think many in this country would actively try to back players through it, but there would still be plenty that would just take it as yet another excuse to abuse people. 

Great post...sums it up....I do believe most people really don't care about the issues..read agendas....and accept people they know as individuals rather than :"catagories"

The flip side of "coming out" for a player would be the "activists" latching on to them as symbols and further muddying the waters..... 

21 hours ago, chara said:

Great post...sums it up....I do believe most people really don't care about the issues..read agendas....and accept people they know as individuals rather than :"catagories"

The flip side of "coming out" for a player would be the "activists" latching on to them as symbols and further muddying the waters..... 

For sure, if a player comes out, then they would be expected to fully sign up to the 'progressive' agenda and be the poster boy for it. That and the nonsense on social media is a very good reason to want to keep your private life, private. This goes double if they're also not very political. 

Edited by King Kante