CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

chara   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

:)  I think they play on Elephants as they do in India.
Snorkels then are not necessary, but the flippers get stuck in the mud.
Playing waterpolo... along with elephantsWaterpolo Development World

Brilliant Droy..but where IS the dolphin?..stuck in the mud?...but where?

Edited by chara

Just seen a Guardian headline and sub-heading about how we're "malfunctioning" and how different we look to just two weeks ago. It's absolutely mental. I know this is exactly how the press works, big teams up to generate content and slate them to generate more content, but it all amazes me that they have the gall to do it. And that people lap it up. We're exactly the same team we were two weeks ago!

JaneB   
17 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

:)  I think they play on Elephants as they do in India.
Snorkels then are not necessary, but the flippers get stuck in the mud.
Playing waterpolo... along with elephantsWaterpolo Development World

Animal exploitation.

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Just seen a Guardian headline and sub-heading about how we're "malfunctioning" and how different we look to just two weeks ago. It's absolutely mental. I know this is exactly how the press works, big teams up to generate content and slate them to generate more content, but it all amazes me that they have the gall to do it. And that people lap it up. We're exactly the same team we were two weeks ago!

They have been reading this forum I guess.

Guest Northern Lights   
Guest Northern Lights
On 02/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, JaneB said:

Animal exploitation.

🙌🏿Yep.😔

paulw66   

Wasn't sure where to put this, but on my way home on Saturday, I ran into Colin Pates boarding the same train at Clapham Junction. 

I thought he may have remembered me because he taught football at my school in my last two years, in 98/99, but alas, the fairly useless, chubby footballer didn't stick in his memory, and it was 20+ years ago.

Anyway, me and my mate (who is roughly Pates' age) had a really interesting chat with him. The club have really looked after people like him (his words) by giving them jobs doing hospitality etc on match days. Interestingly, he was saying his generation were probably the last that will ever do it, because they need the money. He was chatting to Dennis Wise about it recently, but when he told him what he was earning from it, Wise suddenly became disinterested. Forget the modern day players and what they will retire with. 

We reminisced about the 80s (largely the two of them, that was a bit before my era). He spoke with sadness about Kerry's battle with booze, which was a follow up to talking about Ray Wilkins. Couple of funny stories about Bates being difficult with money and broken promises, particularly regarding bonus payments and the full members cup win. 

The biggest take away for me, was that he was genuinely pleased that we took the time to talk with him. I think the modern players get so much exposure, and recognition, they don't like being bothered, but we did ask him, and he said he loved reminiscing with fans, and most of the players of his generation would say the same. So, I would say, if you see an ex Chelsea pro of that generation and you are wondering whether or not to say hello, I would say, do it. Was a nice end to a good day. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

ROTG   

Pates & McLaughlin partnership was one of the best around at the time.

Everything seemed to be so effortless with Colin

paulw66   
1 hour ago, FREEBOOT-RIGHTZ said:

Pates & McLaughlin partnership was one of the best around at the time.

Everything seemed to be so effortless with Colin

He did say he felt he would have been well suited to the modern style of play.

Wish I could remember a bit more, but was pretty oiled by then. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but on my way home on Saturday, I ran into Colin Pates boarding the same train at Clapham Junction. 

I thought he may have remembered me because he taught football at my school in my last two years, in 98/99, but alas, the fairly useless, chubby footballer didn't stick in his memory, and it was 20+ years ago.

Anyway, me and my mate (who is roughly Pates' age) had a really interesting chat with him. The club have really looked after people like him (his words) by giving them jobs doing hospitality etc on match days. Interestingly, he was saying his generation were probably the last that will ever do it, because they need the money. He was chatting to Dennis Wise about it recently, but when he told him what he was earning from it, Wise suddenly became disinterested. Forget the modern day players and what they will retire with. 

We reminisced about the 80s (largely the two of them, that was a bit before my era). He spoke with sadness about Kerry's battle with booze, which was a follow up to talking about Ray Wilkins. Couple of funny stories about Bates being difficult with money and broken promises, particularly regarding bonus payments and the full members cup win. 

The biggest take away for me, was that he was genuinely pleased that we took the time to talk with him. I think the modern players get so much exposure, and recognition, they don't like being bothered, but we did ask him, and he said he loved reminiscing with fans, and most of the players of his generation would say the same. So, I would say, if you see an ex Chelsea pro of that generation and you are wondering whether or not to say hello, I would say, do it. Was a nice end to a good day. 

Great to hear and have heard this about patesy from others who have met him.

I had a similar chance encounter with Rob Isaac after having  got on the wrong train after over celebrating a 2-0 win over hull. Another top fella who is also a fan and happily discussed everything from doug rougvie dropping him in it against the crazy gang to the awfulness of the chelsea collection kit and acid house parties!!

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I can confirm this is true. A few years I ago I went to an FA of Wales charity do, and Mickey Thomas was there. I went up to him and introduced myself as a Chelsea supporter, and his eyes lit up. When I told him I was at his Chelsea debut v Sheff Wed in '84 when he scored two and became an instant legend, he became quite emotional and described it as the best day of his life. We had a really good chat and it was a pleasure reminiscing with him about a very happy time in his life. He's had a some massive ups and downs in and out of football, but his Chelsea career was a genuine highlight for him.

I loved Colin Pates as a player and captain. Really classy defender who was also comfortable as a DM. Anyone else remember the job he did on Souness in the '82 2-0 cup win? Stuck to him like glue and marked him out of the game.