CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Or it's just a silly nickname. Mostly I think it was a nickname that was thought up with good intentions and a silly twist on it. Nothing malicious at all imo.

Ouch, well I'm not claiming us Swedes are much better either! 

I was joking btw! 

• Like 1

chara   
16 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It isn't society, it was Gary Ballance.  He called every black or Asian person Kevin - which is clearly categorising them as somehow different.
Maybe he thought it was clever, maybe he thought it was a way around "the rules".  It wasn't either.

It would be as if fans or players called Alonso Dave, and Pedro Dave and Morata Dave, Kepa Dave, Fabregas Dave.  Somehow I don't think anyone would call Costa Dave.

Costa,,?,,"Dave,,Sir"

The Dave nickname was and is an affectionate nickname with the double "OFAH"s smile......Droy makes the point that it is a one off for a well respected player....

You can't choose your own personal nickname....I emphasis personal.....I went for some years under the weight of "Slough" for a nickname...certainly not applied in derision or disrespect...or racial..although from ..how do we say it without the roof falling in..."A person of colour"...which I find totally patronising and racist description. (Just a personal OBSERVATION..not a political/social comment.)

Let's try.. "The Cat..Catty"...."Butch"...."Lamps"....."Cookie"..."Chopper"..... I am not even trying.....could be seen as "mean nasty"...."over masculine"...."Dull as a Toc H"...a "biscuit"........."mad axeman".(Sir!)

Common sense prevails usually....we all can tell what is meant as insult whatever the words ......

Edited by chara

20 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Or it's just a silly nickname. Mostly I think it was a nickname that was thought up with good intentions and a silly twist on it. Nothing malicious at all imo.

Yes, I'm sure a youngish Spanish lad joining us from a French club immediately 'got' the cultural reference to a tawdry and second-rate British sitcom and just fell about laughing at the amazing wit of his English team mates! 😉

28 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Yes, I'm sure a youngish Spanish lad joining us from a French club immediately 'got' the cultural reference to a tawdry and second-rate British sitcom and just fell about laughing at the amazing wit of his English team mates! 😉

I'm with you on it not necessarily being a friendly name for Azpi - though reliable sources on how nicknames arrived are pretty rare.

But "tawdry and second-rate".   How dare you.

chara   
2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Seems to me you may have forgotten how things work in any dressing room or any group.....being accepted and included even if a reference is initially a puzzle is what the JT (?) gesture was all about......The present issues elsewhere have little to do with nicknames as used generally..... 

Droy...on the contrary...most nicknames have an easily deduced source....."tawdry and second rate"?...think Bob is on a windup!.

3 minutes ago, chara said:

"tawdry and second rate"?...think Bob is on a windup!.

Not at all. In fact I thought I was being quite restrained calling it tawdry and second rate. I loathe OF&H (almost as much as I loathe Mrs Brown's Boys)

11 minutes ago, chara said:

Droy...on the contrary...most nicknames have an easily deduced source....."

The idea behind the nickname - yes.
Who first used it and why, that is a lot harder to judge 10 years on.

9 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Or it's just a funny nickname to highlight English people and their lack of understanding of other languages/cultures? 

The John Terry anecdote is news to me, and I'm curious about the source of it. But yes, I always understood it to come from the "we'll just call you Dave" chant and to be a joke at Chelsea supporters expense that we weren't clever or sophisticated enough to pronounce Azpilcueta. 

If Azpi is put out by it, I'd expect us as a fanbase to instantly respect that. I doubt he really cares.

It's really, really obviously not comparable to calling everyone of colour Kevin. The intention and the impact are both drastically different. 

42 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It's really, really obviously not comparable to calling everyone of colour Kevin. The intention and the impact are both drastically different. 

Absolutely... the discussion got derailed by those more interested in me saying that I felt calling Azpilicueta "Dave" disrespectful; and that was in response to someone who couldn't see the difference between an instance of one person being given a nickname and someone else calling every non-white player the same name.

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I doubt he really cares.

I suspect you are bang on;) 

Obviously a very different situation, which Bob also has stated (just so there is no misundertandings). But I don't find it particularly disrespectful. I was certainly given a lot worse nicknames when I lived in London! I maintain it's an affectionate one, that was thought up by a bunch of pissed up Chelsea fans on a proper bender.