CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

You are being kind. 

I agree - the bit about our penalty takers since Lamps beggars belief.

It is a joke he still has a platform for his ignorant garbage.

Why Gallagher playing for us next year would be a disaster needs some kind of explanation, given how Mount and James have thrived since returning from their successful loans.

Yup.........Hazard had a better record than Lampard or Jorginho (in terms of success percentage)

In the summer Kante will be 31, Jorginho 30. Adding Gallagher (22) would be perfect IMO

On 12/13/2021 at 10:59 AM, paulw66 said:

Yup.........Hazard had a better record than Lampard or Jorginho (in terms of success percentage)

In the summer Kante will be 31, Jorginho 30. Adding Gallagher (22) would be perfect IMO

I've always thought he works on the basis that if he says slightly controversual stuff in a weird pseudo interlectual way people will believe it. BBC have always been happy to give him a platform.

chara   

I read The Guardian game reports and articles to get a balance with Daily Fail and BBC......up until the last few weeks always looked forward to the David Squires cartoon presentation...Chelsea not treated nicely but other clubs get the shaft as well...felt a bit uneasy the last couple of weeks as somehow the edge had gone...today's offering was a disgrace..... as a political statement it was fine...everyone is entitled to an opinion and voice but as an offering in a sports section and a specific sport it was shameful.

To be clear I am not commenting on the content as such....make your own judgement as to merit or not...but the shameless political posturing in a football section.

9 hours ago, chara said:

I read The Guardian game reports and articles to get a balance with Daily Fail and BBC......up until the last few weeks always looked forward to the David Squires cartoon presentation...Chelsea not treated nicely but other clubs get the shaft as well...felt a bit uneasy the last couple of weeks as somehow the edge had gone...today's offering was a disgrace..... as a political statement it was fine...everyone is entitled to an opinion and voice but as an offering in a sports section and a specific sport it was shameful.

To be clear I am not commenting on the content as such....make your own judgement as to merit or not...but the shameless political posturing in a football section.

I think they're less funny when they're not about football, but I didn't think there was much political posturing about it. It'd be tough to say there was much partisan about it when the majority of anti-Boris briefing to the British press is from Tory MPs and Labour is getting bashed by what remains of its membership for not tearing into Johnson nearly enough. 

Sciatika   

The Guardian has always promoted a very special brand of hypocrisy. I remember when they were moaning about off-shore funds (with some justification) and non-doms. It is worth noting that GMG, the owners of the Guardian, are bankrolled by offshore funds located in the Cayman Islands (google Autotrader for more information). They promote ideas about diversity, but when it comes down to it, the board of GMG is the least diverse collection of people I have ever seen. When it comes to reporting, much of it is made up based on 'lived experience' by which they mean anecdotal evidence. Think CNN but less professional. Even in the football pages, incompetence is the word of the day. Take the "Deputy Sports Editor', Barry Glendening.  Studied for a degree which he did not complete followed by a post as a staffer for "Hot Press". He acts the comedian and even did a pilot for a comedy programme once. The pilot was not taken up. A joke in Barry Gledenning's hands is, as they say, no laughing matter. So how does he get to report on football? No idea.

4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I think they're less funny when they're not about football, but I didn't think there was much political posturing about it. It'd be tough to say there was much partisan about it when the majority of anti-Boris briefing to the British press is from Tory MPs and Labour is getting bashed by what remains of its membership for not tearing into Johnson nearly enough. 

Agreed, I usually look forward to his lampooning of matters football even when we are the target, the political stuff is simply not as funny bit too much spite in it I think.

I enjoy the guardian though mainly for the mostly decent posters on our match threads, unfortuantely at the moment they have a West ham supporting journo who writes our match reports who clearly resents chelsea being anywhere near successful. and crams his reports with exagurated negatives. Called him out on it recently and amazingly got a personal reply. Must have hit a nerve....

Jasonb   
4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

The Guardian has always promoted a very special brand of hypocrisy. I remember when they were moaning about off-shore funds (with some justification) and non-doms. It is worth noting that GMG, the owners of the Guardian, are bankrolled by offshore funds located in the Cayman Islands (google Auto trader for more information). They promote ideas about diversity, but when it comes down to it, the board of GMG is the least diverse collection of people I have ever seen. When it comes to reporting, much of it is made up based on 'lived experience' by which they mean anecdotal evidence. Think CNN but less professional. Even in the football pages, incompetence is the word of the day. Take the "Deputy Sports Editor', Barry Glendening.  Studied for a degree which he did not complete followed by a post as a staffer for "Hot Press". He acts the comedian and even did a pilot for a comedy programme once. The pilot was not taken up. A joke in Barry Gledenning's hands is, as they say, no laughing matter. So how does he get to report on football? No idea.

I did the google search though could not find anything suggesting tax havens or offshore activity. 

If you do have a source please share it.

Notice Lewis Hamilton has been knighted despite using tax havens too.

19 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I did the google search though could not find anything suggesting tax havens or offshore activity. 

If you do have a source please share it.

Notice Lewis Hamilton has been knighted despite using tax havens too.

I'm a regular Guardian reader. One of the things that allows the paper to remain independent (ie not owned by a Murdoch, Rothermere, Barclay etc) is The Scott Trust, established in the mid 30s by John Scott the owner of The Manchester Guardian, as it then was.

Like most trusts, it operates off-shore in order to "minimise" it's tax liabilities. So yes, the paper is hypocritical when it comes to reporting on tax havens etc.

4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

The Guardian has always promoted a very special brand of hypocrisy.

Well indeed.  Probably the worst kind of hypocrisy was turning on Assange and Snowden having sold a lot of papers based on them.  Even with Assange in prison with severe health isssues, their support for him only began last year and has been luke-warm.
Essentially the whole paper is written by wannabe media reporters for media reporters.  It is a long time since it represented an alternative to the mainstream press - probably reflecting the Blair/Brown/Starmer effort in making the Labour party an improvement on the conservative party rather than a replacement.

OffGuardian is a website that sets out simply to write what the Guardian claims it writes about.  There is a big open space which the Guardian could occupy if only it wished.

chara   

Thanks for the responses...proving once again that the "Intelligent Forum" can live up to it's name!

I know it's a Roy Of The Rovers concept to keep politics separate from the game and I had no wish to cast praise or otherwise on the content as such.....for political "satire" or whatever I look to an appropriate site....for football humour I look for football/sport sites...just very disappointed at this week's offering.

As mentioned The Guardian poster's and to a lesser extent the BBC posters are usually worth reading as opposed to the dm and the  "fans" comments..