CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Sciatika   
2 hours ago, Jasonb said:

I did the google search though could not find anything suggesting tax havens or offshore activity. 

If you do have a source please share it.

Notice Lewis Hamilton has been knighted despite using tax havens too.

I read about it off and on for a long time. It is quite well known in some circles. However, the best I can find at the moment is an old Guido article. I am not a big fan of Guido, but the summary looks about right and there's a load of links.

https://order-order.com/2014/01/21/guardian-sells-autotrader-for-1-billion-moment-of-truth-for-guardianistas/

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I read about it off and on for a long time. It is quite well known in some circles. However, the best I can find at the moment is an old Guido article. I am not a big fan of Guido, but the summary looks about right and there's a load of links.

https://order-order.com/2014/01/21/guardian-sells-autotrader-for-1-billion-moment-of-truth-for-guardianistas/

It is hard to make sense especially on wiki yet when I worked in Banking you could take a client name and dig into all their related holdings (globally) and surprising names came up all being part of the same group. 

The country of incorporation is important and believe where Cayman Islands is stated this is being used to avoid tax. 

Where I used to live we all went to a new neighbours flat for afternoon tea (nice flat!) he was an important legal advisor for corporates, you should have seen his face when I said I had experienced ESP phenomena it was liked he had been struck by lightening. 

I then suspected he was up to some dodgy things.

• Like 1

bert19   
On 12/15/2021 at 9:24 AM, Sciatika said:

The Guardian has always promoted a very special brand of hypocrisy. I remember when they were moaning about off-shore funds (with some justification) and non-doms. It is worth noting that GMG, the owners of the Guardian, are bankrolled by offshore funds located in the Cayman Islands (google Autotrader for more information). They promote ideas about diversity, but when it comes down to it, the board of GMG is the least diverse collection of people I have ever seen. When it comes to reporting, much of it is made up based on 'lived experience' by which they mean anecdotal evidence. Think CNN but less professional. Even in the football pages, incompetence is the word of the day. Take the "Deputy Sports Editor', Barry Glendening.  Studied for a degree which he did not complete followed by a post as a staffer for "Hot Press". He acts the comedian and even did a pilot for a comedy programme once. The pilot was not taken up. A joke in Barry Gledenning's hands is, as they say, no laughing matter. So how does he get to report on football? No idea.

Wasn't there also something a year or two back that showed just how many of their reporters were Oxbridge types? So diverse that they were in fact, just taking people from the very Elites they are supposed to question.

Sciatika   

Always been the way really. The Guardian panders to the middle-class urban left and its reporters reflect that demographic.

53 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Always been the way really. The Guardian panders to the middle-class urban left and its reporters reflect that demographic.

Funny that... I find it a bit too right-wing at times. Still, a zillion times better than the Mail, Express or Telegraph.

Ham   
29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

That is where the middle-class urban left is.  Blair/Starmer.

Newer Labour

On 16/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, Bob Singleton said:

Funny that... I find it a bit too right-wing at times. Still, a zillion times better than the Mail, Express or Telegraph.

This ...

On 16/12/2021 at 7:09 PM, Droy was my hero said:

That is where the middle-class urban left is.  Blair/Starmer.

And this ... Yes. The Guardian hasn't been particularly leftist for any of my adulthood. It's just the Overton window has shifted so much. It's very much written by and for centrist Captain Sensibles. As someone who most people would consider very left wing on most thing, I almost have more respect for the Mail or Telegraph.

4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

And this ... Yes. The Guardian hasn't been particularly leftist for any of my adulthood. It's just the Overton window has shifted so much. It's very much written by and for centrist Captain Sensibles. As someone who most people would consider very left wing on most thing, I almost have more respect for the Mail or Telegraph.

It is written for people who want to believe that unfairness is all about minorities of different shades and keep quiet about financial inequality which has gone from the the lows of the 1980s back to the extremes of the 1930s while no one talks about it at all.  That way we can be left wing without risking our own salaries.