CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Sciatika   

The strange this is that I remember reading a professor of epidemiology point out that what you really want is a variant with high transmissibility with low severity. By being more transmissible, more people get that particular variant and build a resistance to the disease including (usually) the more severe versions. By low severity, those who catch it quickly recover. Omicron may, in this respect, be a good thing, which does not mean no one will suffer from it or it will not be a comorbidity factor in some deaths. Nor does it mean that we can simply allow it to get out of hand. We need essential services to continue to function. If we have too many shop workers, lorry drivers, nurses, refuse collectors and so on sick, this might impact on essential services that we rely on even if the hospitalisation rate is relatively low.

I am vaccinated twice with a booster, but I refuse to accept the idea that vaccines should be mandatory because it is a policy based on a belief that one rule can be applied to everyone. Most people suffer no ill effects, but some do. My sister-in-law reacted badly to hers and has chosen continuous isolation as an alternative. Sadly, I won't see her this Xmas. N'Golo Kante has a family history of heart problems (including himself). He chooses not to be vaccinated as a result. Yet Jacob Steinberg thinks he has the moral authority to demand that Kante be vaccinated. I always doubt people who are so certain of themselves. So, I suspect, does Tuchel.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Like 1

chara   
48 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

The strange this is that I remember reading a professor of epidemiology point out that what you really want is a variant with high transmissibility with low severity. By being more transmissible, more people get that particular variant and build a resistance to the disease including (usually) the more severe versions. By low severity, those who catch it quickly recover. Omicron may, in this respect, be a good thing, which does not mean no one will suffer from it or it will not be a comorbidity factor in some deaths. Nor does it mean that we can simply allow it to get out of hand. We need essential services to continue to function. If we have too many shop workers, lorry drivers, nurses, refuse collectors and so on sick, this might impact on essential services that we rely on even if the hospitalisation rate is relatively low.

I am vaccinated twice with a booster, but I refuse to accept the idea that vaccines should be mandatory because it is a policy based on a belief that one rule can be applied to everyone. Most people suffer no ill effects, but some do. My sister-in-law reacted badly to hers and has chosen continuous isolation as an alternative. Sadly, I won't see her this Xmas. N'Golo Kante has a family history of heart problems (including himself). He chooses not to be vaccinated as a result. Yet Jacob Steinberg thinks he has the moral authority to demand that Kante be vaccinated. I always doubt people who are so certain of themselves. So, I suspect, does Tuchel.

Excellent post....agree as one who has had two plus booster shots but had long term after effects with fatigue and mild brain fog since early November...clear now..just..an issue the media both here and elsewhere seem to be suppressing...my main worry was the symptoms were a lot like the pre Hospitalisation I had a while back with heart issues...had I been aware of the possibility of a long'ish term reaction I would have been better prepared and less concerned...my point is that upon "digging" I find..although not easy to turn up....my reaction is not uncommon..my sister in Scotland had similar as have others she knows...and also here in people I know  .... I can only speculate that "They" do not want any publicity that would give anyone reason to not get "jabbed"...I have a niece heavily involved in the vaccination programme and her main feelings are anger at the number of people who fail to turn up for "jab" appointments....thoughts anyone?

Plus....what the heck was Squires trying to do with the Aguero "tribute"...too sarkey ....and not clever or highlighting what he was value for...not my fave  but has a place in the history of the game....BUT I still can see his tackle on Luiz....finished his Chelsea career effectively......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

That is the issue for me - the numbers (worldwide in the millions) for whom the virus has proved fatal and in many cases very debilitating long-term. Most people do not fall in that category but we have a duty to those who do to do what we can to minimise the spread. I fully appreciate those with powerful medical arguments. I have far less time for those for whom remaining unvaccinated is a political statement.

People saying they have no fear of getting infected is not relevant to the numbers they might potentially infect who could suffer severe effects and death. Yes, the vaccinated can and do pass on the virus, but their viral load is much lower so they infect fewer. And the impact the unvaccinated are having on hospitals is very damaging, compared to the unvaccinated who are far less likely to be hospitalised or in the ICU.

The strange this is that I remember reading a professor of epidemiology point out that what you really want is a variant with high transmissibility with low severity.

Exactly.

I am vaccinated twice with a booster, but I refuse to accept the idea that vaccines should be mandatory because it is a policy based on a belief that one rule can be applied to everyone.

Yes.  I'm less convinced by the vaccine risk to oneself argument.  As more data comes in some risks are identified, but mostly we now have a small amount of known risk instead of a large amount of unknown risk, so the vaccine now appears safer than before.  
On the other hand the protection of society argument is much weaker - we are close to herd immunity and strains are weaker.
The younger and healthier have always had little to gain for themselves from a vaccine, so the purpose of vaccinating them is less strong than ever.
And if people want to refuse vaccines out of pure stubbornness this is entirely their loss as one more vaccination isn't going to make much difference to everyone else.

The argument that those that refuse vaccines shouldn't get access to the NHS is no stronger than denying smokers or drinkers or motorbike and bicycle riders access.

BTW since this is the media thread, can I just point our how thoroughly dishonest mainstream media coverage of Covid is.
Any story in the last 2 weeks that failed to highlight the key leading indicator - Covid hospitalisations - has distorted the picture deliberately. 

Edited by Droy was my hero

chara   

Dishonest Media Droy.?......you might bang on sometimes but My God you are right.......

chara   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The vaccines will never work if they re-elect Trump  :)

And God didn't make the little green apples..and it won't rain in Manchester......

5 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/dec/21/thomas-tuchel-falls-short-in-stance-on-chelsea-and-covid-vaccines

Not content with his snide digs in his match reports he now wants to have a go regarding Tuchels stance on vaccinations. This guy has a huge problem with Chelsea

I really don't understand his objection to what Tuchel said ... What's the issue with thinking vaccines are a good idea but that you can't force people to have them and that you're better off asking a medical expert about them than you are a football manager? Steinberg is massively reaching, and being a massive d**knead in the process.

• Like 1

chara   
4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I really don't understand his objection to what Tuchel said ... What's the issue with thinking vaccines are a good idea but that you can't force people to have them and that you're better off asking a medical expert about them than you are a football manager? Steinberg is massively reaching, and being a massive d**knead in the process.

This...........