CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

47 minutes ago, chara said:

Bob I am in total agreement with you BUT where does it stop?..... the sensible soon gets swept aside by "agendas" and the freedom of choice gets a bit more eroded once again.

I don't have the answer.

You might want to have a read of this:

https://www.begambleaware.org/sites/default/files/2022-03/Annual GB Treatment and Support Survey Report 2021 (FINAL).pdf

There are more "problem gamblers" in the UK than Class A drug addicts; yet one is not illegal. At the very least, let's not make gambling seem "glamorous" 😉

chara   
24 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

You might want to have a read of this:

https://www.begambleaware.org/sites/default/files/2022-03/Annual GB Treatment and Support Survey Report 2021 (FINAL).pdf

There are more "problem gamblers" in the UK than Class A drug addicts; yet one is not illegal. At the very least, let's not make gambling seem "glamorous" 😉

No..I absolutely agree with you....I have always been anti tobacco for example  but I like a beer as it were..who am I to tell a responsible adult what to do? a ban on alcohol sponsorship would not affect me but I do understand not every one can handle a lot of potentially truly damaging "products" and any addiction needs to have support at any and all  level.

My concern is the politically agenda advocates who do jump on any opportunity to oppose their chosen target.

A somewhat fatuous example but so many worthy sports clubs/organisations desperately need some form of sponsorship to survive...Mrs C's son at Uni actually played American Football and they were sponsored in part by a local Indian Restaurant...modestly I believe to the tune of free meals..important to students of course....but as a Vegan/Vegetarian I would protest the chicken/beef Vindaloo....( no I'm not a v/v!) but you get my point...it's not the important issues that get sideswiped by restriction of choice..a basic freedom we enjoy...or so I hope.

To repeat I am in total agreement with you and support any effort to help addictions.

30 minutes ago, chara said:

No..I absolutely agree with you....I have always been anti tobacco for example  but I like a beer as it were..who am I to tell a responsible adult what to do? a ban on alcohol sponsorship would not affect me but I do understand not every one can handle a lot of potentially truly damaging "products" and any addiction needs to have support at any and all  level.

My concern is the politically agenda advocates who do jump on any opportunity to oppose their chosen target.

A somewhat fatuous example but so many worthy sports clubs/organisations desperately need some form of sponsorship to survive...Mrs C's son at Uni actually played American Football and they were sponsored in part by a local Indian Restaurant...modestly I believe to the tune of free meals..important to students of course....but as a Vegan/Vegetarian I would protest the chicken/beef Vindaloo....( no I'm not a v/v!) but you get my point...it's not the important issues that get sideswiped by restriction of choice..a basic freedom we enjoy...or so I hope.

To repeat I am in total agreement with you and support any effort to help addictions.

As an actual veggie (almost vegan but not quite... I still eat eggs and some cheeses) I have no problem with people eating chicken vindaloo. I do, however, have a problem with companies knowingly profiting from the misery of others and indeed praying on their vulnerabilities and doing little to help.

chara   
12 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

As an actual veggie (almost vegan but not quite... I still eat eggs and some cheeses) I have no problem with people eating chicken vindaloo. I do, however, have a problem with companies knowingly profiting from the misery of others and indeed praying on their vulnerabilities and doing little to help.

Sorry..fatuous cxample as I said,,,no intent to offend and am in complete agreement.

bert19   
7 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Bob, have you seen the documentary Merson did on his and others’ gambling for the BBC? Some of the info he unearths there is really quite frightening. 

RDCW   
7 hours ago, chara said:

Sorry..fatuous cxample as I said,,,no intent to offend and am in complete agreement.

Chara, you are the least offensive person on here ! If Bob can't understand the point you are making (which of course he can) you are the one who should feel offended 🤣

RDCW   

The ridiculous preponderance of gambling advertising in this country is scandalous by the way (not to mention irritating). 

7 hours ago, chara said:

Not at all offended. Never even crossed my mind to be so.

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Bob, have you seen the documentary Merson did on his and others’ gambling for the BBC? Some of the info he unearths there is really quite frightening. 

I did, and had completely forgotten about it (all I could recall was the C4 series where a bunch of former England players went "on tour" and he was talking to David Seaman about his alcoholism), but now you've reminded me of it, yes indeed, some truly horrific stuff came out of that programme regarding how the gambling industry works.

Still available for a few months on iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010l43

Edited by Bob Singleton
Link to video added for further info

Ruudboy   

No great fan of gambling or, for that matter, many of the shirt sponsors. It’s just a shame that the club doesn’t seek sponsorship from companies who represent club values - and I truly don’t believe that gambling, cars, fossil fuels, aeroplanes, drinks, tobacco and electronics (most of the current sponsors) fall into that category. Better we make a positive gesture by inviting sponsorship from companies whose products and services actually benefit society and promote health etc.