CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Draw us out to where? It's already long accepted that we'd be interested and the ridiculous non-story was after we made an official bid. All theirpr department has done is made them a target for accusations of blatant lying (even post-Phelan). All statements and actions from theUtd camp thus far show a club struggling to deal with a mini crisis. If they wanted to paint Rooney as a trouble maker, I'd say they're making a prize hash of it. As for our breaking protocol in comme ting, I think we've done exactly the right thing. My hope is that in the post-match press conference it is brought up and Mourinho takes the opportunity to heap ridicule on 'whoever started the rumour'. Whether we get the player or not, we can't lose on this. Mourinho is already all over them like a rash and boy, does he itch.

To making a public statement we'd normally never, ever make. The world knows, courtesy of the United press machine, that Chelsea are doggedly chasing Rooney and that Rooney is a trouble-making bastard. That's the angle I suspect most pundits and journalists will run with- that United dumped a problem rather than had a prized asset taken by force.

I agree United have a crisis on their hands, but I think they're doing a decent job of projecting that elsewhere. They'll make sure the fault is seen to lie elsewhere.

United won't care about being called liars. What football club/PR professional isn't a liar?

Personally I preferred it when we didn't comment on speculation. Happy for Jose to tear into every and anyone during his conferences though!

Khobar   
To making a public statement we'd normally never, ever make. The world knows, courtesy of the United press machine, that Chelsea are doggedly chasing Rooney and that Rooney is a trouble-making bastard. That's the angle I suspect most pundits and journalists will run with- that United dumped a problem rather than had a prized asset taken by force.

I agree United have a crisis on their hands, but I think they're doing a decent job of projecting that elsewhere. They'll make sure the fault is seen to lie elsewhere.

United won't care about being called liars. What football club/PR professional isn't a liar?

Personally I preferred it when we didn't comment on speculation. Happy for Jose to tear into every and anyone during his conferences though!

But all that the public statement has really done is pointed out that someone at Utd is pushing out blatant lies. You can't on the one side say that Utd have succeded in making out Rooney as a trouble making bastard and then say they don't mind about being seen as liars.

As for making the world aware that Chelsea are doggedly chasing Rooney - how does that help them? Rooney was left out of major games last season and has been pretty effectively belittled by Moyes this time. Mourinho has publicly stated his admiration and we have put a bid in, as we're entitled to do.

I also fail to see from the facts at hand how Rooney is portrayed as the trouble maker and Utd haven't in any way been attempting to freeze him out. The facts are there.

The angle that the pundits will run with is irrelevant - they'll inevitably take an anti-Chelsea angle anyway. However, they haven't got Fergie refusing to do press conferences this time and, frankly, right now who cares what Moyes has to say?

Utd really need to make a statement signing now, but everyone they've gone for has gone elsewhere. If they lose Rooney too, what are they going to do? The way hings are going, a slow start in the Premiership could really put the cat amongst the pigeons. And if this is an example of how they're going to manage the damage limitation I think it's going to be enjoyable for us.

JayD   

Unless you've been privy to his contract negotiations, you've only got the media impression of the way he has mugged Utd surely? As for celebrations - meh. Never much liked Rooney the persona, but as a footballer he would undoubtedly improve us.

It's pretty black and white though in terms of his contract negotiations. The Media could simply supply quotes from him without putting their spin on it and I tihnk he's out of order.

You don't like the Rooney Persona? Surely that is based on what the Media have to say.

He may improve us, but I'd rather look elsewhere, or if worst comes to worst, look at what we have available at present.

Khobar   

It's pretty black and white though in terms of his contract negotiations. The Media could simply supply quotes from him without putting their spin on it and I tihnk he's out of order.

You don't like the Rooney Persona? Surely that is based on what the Media have to say.

He may improve us, but I'd rather look elsewhere, or if worst comes to worst, look at what we have available at present.

Indeed it is - but I didn't say that my perception wasn't based on what the media say. I dislike him most because he's a typical little scouser.

I think that he is Vermin for the way that he celebrated infront of the MHL when he scored, on more than one occasion.

What? You mean you dreamt up this Vermin bollocks all by yourself, without the help of the red tops?

JayD   

What? You mean you dreamt up this Vermin bollocks all by yourself, without the help of the red tops?

Wouldn't say it's 'Dreamt Up'. I'd say it's an impression of the way somebody conducts themselves. But yes, that is without the input of Journo's. If I'd have said 'I don't like Rooney because he shags Granny's' then that would be differen't (Whilst possibly still valid)

But all that the public statement has really done is pointed out that someone at Utd is pushing out blatant lies. You can't on the one side say that Utd have succeded in making out Rooney as a trouble making bastard and then say they don't mind about being seen as liars.

I agree the sophisticated fan will see Man U as looking very silly in every way over rooney leaving. But then they were going to look silly to everyone if they did nothing.

You can't fool all the people all the time as someone or other said - but Man U are managing to fool many of them right now.

Khobar   
I agree the sophisticated fan will see Man U as looking very silly in every way over rooney leaving. But then they were going to look silly to everyone if they did nothing.

You can't fool all the people all the time as someone or other said - but Man U are managing to fool many of them right now.

They didn't have to do nothing - just sign a replacement and put him up for transfer early on in the hope of a bidding war. They've been caught absolutely flat footed and in their haste to pick up some supportive footwear they accidentally reached for the clown shoes.

It's not even Utd doing the fooling - it's the media. That's only going to work for a while before even they get cheesed off at being fed bullshit. Does nothing for their already dubious credibility.

CFC1966   

I think that he is Vermin for the way that he celebrated infront of the MHL when he scored, on more than one occasion. I also don't like the way that he has completely mugged off his club, on more than one occasion. Who's to say he wouldn't do that here. My view has absolutely nothing to do with what the Media have to say about him.

This is a bit precious, it's only what Lampard does to the Pikeys, what JT does to most oppo fans...We give Rooney dogs abuse, he gives a bit back, I for one am big enough to dish it out and also take it. You can't class someone as vermin because they celebrate a goal in front of the MHL. Bridge was a legend when he ran the length of the East Lower after scoring against Pompey - there are many examples...

Codger   

Bridge was a legend when he ran the length of the East Lower after scoring against Pompey - there are many examples...

Quite, and what a fantastic moment that was.