CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Sciatika   

Brilliant Spy interview with EddieMac on Chelsea TV. Well worth a watch for the the older fan.

Brilliant Spy interview with EddieMac on Chelsea TV. Well worth a watch for the the older fan.

He was the reason why I became a Chelsea supporter.

When I was 8, my parents moved to East Molesey... Eddie McCreadie lived a few doors down and Chelsea's then training ground was a sports ground (1 hockey pitch, 2 football pitches & 3 rugby pitches in winter, two cricket squares in summer) owned by some now defunct bank which is now an estate of mock Tudor houses. My father didn't follow football (indeed, I think I'm the only one in my large and extended family who does) and I sort of followed Man Utd as I'd watched them on TV winning the European Cup not that long before. Who wouldn't at that age? Charlton, Best, Kidd, Law, Stepney...

Anyway, moving to Molesey turned me into a 100% Chelsea supporter. If Eddie Mac hadn't lived a few doors down, I might have ended up reading and posting to Red Cafe instead.

Holymoly   
I might have ended up reading and posting to Red Cafe instead.

Many of us do anyway, just to wind them up.....

Nice interview though....and all over a bloody company car if I remember correctly.

Sciatika   

At the time, I don't think I really knew what was going on (no change). I was a teenager. I just remember him quitting for no readily apparent reason. If he had stayed, we might have avoided the heartache that was Shellito, Hurst, Gould, etc. We got Neal in the end, so every cloud.... As far as the car thing goes, I think Brian Mears was just way out of his depth. We needed someone more astute, more savvy. In some ways, Bates was the perfect person to take over.

Khobar   

At the time, I don't think I really knew what was going on (no change). I was a teenager. I just remember him quitting for no readily apparent reason. If he had stayed, we might have avoided the heartache that was Shellito, Hurst, Gould, etc. We got Neal in the end, so every cloud.... As far as the car thing goes, I think Brian Mears was just way out of his depth. We needed someone more astute, more savvy. In some ways, Bates was the perfect person to take over.

Half a season was fantastic under Hurst. 2nd half - what was it, 3 goals in 21 games?

chara   

Eddie Mac was one of my early idols ..a great attacking left back and a great fan favourite....

Just watched it, brilliant interview and from the heart. After all that was done to him he still loves Chelsea with a passion.

Edited by keith9351

Takes me back to my school football kit: I had the number 3 royal blue shirt (no names in those days), white shorts. white socks (with two blue hoops at the top). Apart from that and the position he played, that's all I shared with Eddie...

Mutu7   

And it's easy to forget that season we were promoted under Eddie Mac we actually finished above Cloughie's Nottingham Forest. They had most of the side (minus Shilton) who won the league and European Cup over the next couple of years. What might have been!