DDRickyDD

Non Chelsea: League Football.

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

No Ruud Gullit, and therefore no Zola and no Vialli either.

Hoddle is an awful pundit, but having him as manager attracted one "super star" which attracted others afterwards. That led to FA Cups and a Cup Winners Cup, better and better managers, CL qualification and ultimately Abramovich buying the club

That is certainly one viewpoint.  But the other is we might have had a stronger team.  As Bates used to point out we were 11th when Hoddle arrived and 11th when he left.  
The buy old stars to attract younger ones certainly turned out to be a good method.
It wasn't just the names though, it was increasing money ploughed into the club (and the increasing returns).
I'm not sure that Warnock couldn't have run it that way too.  Maybe not.  
At the time I was hoping for Warnock and worried about Hoddle (who I though would bring hazard M with him - I was not a fan).
I'm certain plenty could have done it better than Hoddle.

(Again - I just don't think Warnock was as rubbish as some claim)

56 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not a fan, though I do wonder what might have happened if Bates had hired Warnock, as he had planned, instead of Hoddle all those years ago.

I'm going go have nightmares about this alternate timeline. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

No Ruud Gullit, and therefore no Zola and no Vialli either.

Hoddle is an awful pundit, but having him as manager attracted one "super star" which attracted others afterwards. That led to FA Cups and a Cup Winners Cup, better and better managers, CL qualification and ultimately Abramovich buying the club

The real timeline is so lovely and comforting. 

21 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

That is certainly one viewpoint.  But the other is we might have had a stronger team.  As Bates used to point out we were 11th when Hoddle arrived and 11th when he left.  
The buy old stars to attract younger ones certainly turned out to be a good method.
It wasn't just the names though, it was increasing money ploughed into the club (and the increasing returns).
I'm not sure that Warnock couldn't have run it that way too.  Maybe not.  
At the time I was hoping for Warnock and worried about Hoddle (who I though would bring hazard M with him - I was not a fan).
I'm certain plenty could have done it better than Hoddle.

(Again - I just don't think Warnock was as rubbish as some claim)

If we got him in 19901, we woild have gone down, he woild have brought alehouse football to the club, and signed crappy players like the ones he had at Notts County.  I had no sympathy for him when Sheff U went down, and QPR and Palace correctly sacked hom for being shite, otherwise he would have taken them down as well.  Hoddle wasn't great, but I'd have over Warnock any day.  Warnock may not be as rubbish as some claim but he also not as good as his apologists and fanboys think he is either.  He's just a Northern version of Dave Bassett, and I couldn't stand him either back in the day.  Chris Wilder, however, if backed and given time will turn Boro around.