cc1173

Jose Mourinho Sacked For The Second Time by Chelsea. Joins Manchester United. And now sacked by them too!

13 hours ago, Ham said:

I'm just beginning to not like him very much anymore.  It began last year while he was Chelsea boss.  

I don't think I'm the only one either. 

Fair enough. Opinions are like arses and all that. 

Perosnally I like his abrasive style and open dislike to authorities who don't deserve anyone's respect. I like his willingness to openly question obvious injustices.

To the people who deserve respect and behave thereafter he generally has nothing but good things to say about them. He's a very quotable guy and speaks a very rich language in terms of images. I suppose that's his style. My own way of communicating reminds a little bit of that so I guess that's why I'm not getting stuck up on that. Things he say are generally taken the wrong way and magnified by a hundred. Much like Zlatan. 

Finally, he's a winner and his way of being a winner is this persona he's created. Conte is also a winner but has chosen a different persona. That's the way it goes sometimes. It's just sad that people are getting stuck up on how the media portrays them. Great example, at no stage this season have we played as brilliantly as we did from August 2015 to February 2016. Well, not quite true... A few weeks in October would qualify (Man U 4-0, Everyon 5-0 for example). But generally we've played a rather defensive and cautious style heavily dependent on counter attacks yet it's blown up as some sort of fanciful attacking football. I'm sorry, not buying that for a second.

Neither do I have a problem with our style.  Conte does what he has to do to win. As he's employed to do. So nothing but praise from me on that point. But it's the blatant double standards I can't stand.  Had a discussion with zaffo not long ago and that's the type of absolute bs I'm talking about. Basically making stuff up which has no basis whatsoever in real life. Let's try to be a little bit objective at least! 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Record. Broke.

It still remains true though - no matter how much it messes up with everyone's pet theories about last season.  The facts remain that the paper thin squad explains everything and all the theories have huge holes in them.  If you want to deny the obvious in return for fantasy theories - it is your choice.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Perosnally I like his abrasive style and open dislike to authorities who don't deserve anyone's respect. I like his willingness to openly question obvious injustices.

Same here.  But more to the point I guess is that it really doesn't wind me up when Warnock or SAF or whoever tries to do the same.  What does wind me up is when the press manipulate quotes to change their meaning.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Fair enough. Opinions are like arses and all that. 

To the people who deserve respect and behave thereafter he generally has nothing but good things to say about them. He's a very quotable guy and speaks a very rich language in terms of images. I suppose that's his style. My own way of communicating reminds a little bit of that so I guess that's why I'm not getting stuck up on that. Things he say are generally taken the wrong way and magnified by a hundred. Much like Zlatan. 

Finally, he's a winner and his way of being a winner is this persona he's created. Conte is also a winner but has chosen a different persona. That's the way it goes sometimes. It's just sad that people are getting stuck up on how the media portrays them. Great example, at no stage this season have we played as brilliantly as we did from August 2015 to February 2016. Well, not quite true... A few weeks in October would qualify (Man U 4-0, Everyon 5-0 for example). But generally we've played a rather defensive and cautious style heavily dependent on counter attacks yet it's blown up as some sort of fanciful attacking football. I'm sorry, not buying that for a second.

Neither do I have a problem with our style.  Conte does what he has to do to win. As he's employed to do. So nothing but praise from me on that point. But it's the blatant double standards I can't stand.  Had a discussion with zaffo not long ago and that's the type of absolute bs I'm talking about. Basically making stuff up which has no basis whatsoever in real life. Let's try to be a little bit objective at least! 

Wasn't going to respond in this thread again, however...

What we discussed wasn't made up, it was an opinion... "and opinions are like arses and all that". 

We don't have to agree with each other, but it's a little rich to call it bs because you don't agree. I'm not the only one who has grown tired of JM over the years and his ways, nor will I be the last. Give me Conte's style every day of the week. I wanted him here many years ago, and always said as such if he was to ever leave Juventus a the time. I know the sort of manager he is, the way he works, and what he's about. I've shared this with many here and often have explained exactly as it has been since he joined. May his good work continue and in the manner we've seen thus far. What JM does, or doesn't do these days, I could care little about. He isn't our problem anymore. Not that you'd know by the way he's continuously discussed on here.

38 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Give me Conte's style every day of the week.

Sorry - while there really is a lot positive about how Conte manages, and surely a lot of good things go on behind the scenes, his public image is dreadful however you look at it.

His interviews are inane, where he says the obvious like an Italian schoolboy just happy to string grammatical sentences together in English, meaningless or not.  His behaviour on the touchline is childish.  It is not style, it comes across as just a total lack of character.  
Best stick to the results and the behind the scenes stuff which is where it is easy to praise Conte.

40 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Best stick to the results and the behind the scenes stuff which is where it is easy to praise Conte.

Just as well then really , eight points clear and all that , he's doing what the club pays him to do , the rest is fluff for the idiots.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It still remains true though - no matter how much it messes up with everyone's pet theories about last season.  The facts remain that the paper thin squad explains everything and all the theories have huge holes in them.  If you want to deny the obvious in return for fantasy theories - it is your choice.

http://forums.CFCnet.co.uk/topic/56939-liverpool-1-chelsea-1/?page=28#comment-1424337

Doesn't mess anything up for me Droy, quite the opposite in fact. My 'theory' that a smaller pot of players has done significantly better things this season than a larger pot did last season cannot be refuted. If you try then you are a person that believes that 24 is less than 20.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

http://forums.CFCnet.co.uk/topic/56939-liverpool-1-chelsea-1/?page=28#comment-1424337

Doesn't mess anything up for me Droy, quite the opposite in fact. My 'theory' that a smaller pot of players has done significantly better things this season than a larger pot did last season cannot be refuted. If you try then you are a person that believes that 24 is less than 20.

I'm not going into numbers again.  The idea that a squad which doesn't start Willian, Fabregas, Ivanovic, Terry, Begovic, Chalobah, Michy, Mikel, Zouma or several U21s is somehow  comparable with a squad that doesn't start Pedro, Ramires, Begovic,  Mikel, Djilobodju, Falcao, Remy, and U21s is not serious.

We are talking 6 or 7 real options instead of 2.

(I expect you'll answer that Kenedy, RLC and Traore starting games is proof of depth not weakness)

18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not going into numbers again.  The idea that a squad which doesn't start Willian, Fabregas, Ivanovic, Terry, Begovic, Chalobah, Michy, Mikel, Zouma or several U21s is somehow  comparable with a squad that doesn't start Pedro, Ramires, Begovic,  Mikel, Djilobodju, Falcao, Remy, and U21s is not serious.

We are talking 6 or 7 real options instead of 2.

(I expect you'll answer that Kenedy, RLC and Traore starting games is proof of depth not weakness)

You keep mentioning this concept of "if you are under 21 then you do not exist" codswallop - why is that?

2015/16 we used 24 players - hence 24 options.

2016/17 we have used (to date) 20 players - hence 20 options. I don't care what age they are they're all "options" to me. And with everything that I know to be true, 24 is more than 20.

You know, I am not debating the "paper thin" angle here because I agree with you - it was paper thin last season. I'm saying that while it was paper thin, it still is paper thin but that it is performing better due in enormous parts to the manager and in smaller amounts due to no CL or EL football. You only seem willing to see what you want to see - JM had paper thin squad and because numbers were small, results were shite. Nothing to do with JM and what he did with those numbers - no - only just that because of small number.

By Christmas in both seasons (where only a handful of additional games were played in the first season) why were results so starkly different? It must be assumed that a professional footballer cannot be blown out by having played 20 games so if you argument is that the squad was small and played too many games and were knackered then please use a smaller window with which to measure them and just go from August to December - like for like.

What happened and what was different?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not an argument worth the candle - it is so plain.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

2016/17 we have used (to date) 20 players - hence 20 options. I don't care what age they are they're all "options" to me. And with everything that I know to be true, 24 is more than 20.

Ah, the ol' squad size comparison debate :-)   Haven't seen that one for at least, I don't know, 24 hours?

Many a poster has identified comparable numbers as you Hugh, proven their working out in great detail and arrived at the same conclusions.  Even when you compare players actually used instead of players available it's the same result.  But you're facing something akin to the below.