Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

GJH   

This whole thing would be quite funny if the club weren't going to pay £31m+ for Willian.

Spurs fans must hate us so much just based on recent events. I almost feel sorry for them if this happens. Almost.

Can't wait to see who gazumps us.

Real Madrid might need a transfer plan B soon ...

Harvz   

Mourinho on Mata:

"He was insistent that the playmaker Juan Mata would not depart. The Chelsea player of the year for the past two seasons has been linked with a move, a prospect Mourinho dismissed. "No, speculation. He's a player we all like, he's a player we all want to keep and we want more quality in the team, we don't want less quality. We want to add quality. Juan is not a player we want to lose."

Thank God for that. Although yesterday we only wanted Rooney, so who knows. Still, I'll take it.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/willian-chelsea-anzhi-abramovich-kerimov?CMP=twt_gu

JezQ8   

I'm all for Willian joining Chelsea. We can't just rely on Oscar Mata and Hazard like last year and burn them out by February.

With Schurlle, KDB and possibly Willian this will give us great depth for the season. It also gives us great options from the bench! Imagine after 60mins we have the likes of KDB,Schurlle and Willian coming on! Insane and I'm all for it!

If we do get Willian, then Mata is leaving simple. I don't see why we would spend 30 million on him in a position where we have 6 quality players already competing in.

I don't understand our transfer policy, we need a striker but instead we go for ANOTHER attacking midfielder at 30 million? How does this make sense.

Either Mata is leaving or Moses on loan.

Edited by Blue_Fever

JayD   

If we do get Willian, then Mata is leaving simple. I don't see why we would spend 30 million on him in a position where we have 6 quality players already competing in.

I don't understand our transfer policy, we need a striker but instead we go for ANOTHER attacking midfielder at 30 million? How does this make sense.

How is it that simple. He's just said that we don't want to sell anybody, just loan. Just does not add up whatsoever if we sold Mata.

paulw66   

If we do get Willian, then Mata is leaving simple..

So not quite so simple?

I don't think Oscar or De Bruyne will be dropping back into more central roles too often, though they might of course play there if needs be.

I think it's much more about the intensity with which Mourinho wants the attacking three to play and press. There are questions over the physical ability of all our attacking players to do that week-in, week-out for a 60+ game season. Some players are more naturally inclined to that sort of game but ultimately none are capable of such exhausting tactics too often, or at least not able to be at their peak for that often.

I don't believe the potential acquisition of Willian has much to do with Mata, although the irrational part of me is terrified he's off. I think it's more to do with Mourinho playing to use the likes of Mata, Hazard, Oscar, De Bruyne, Schurrle and Willian for no more than, say, 120 minutes in every 180- keeping them all at their absolute peak.

I suspect someone will end up with fewer minutes than they want and may end up pushing for a move eventually, but it will be to the benefit of the collective.

I hope you're right.

I'd rather the scenario of having 3 fresh attacking midfielders playing at high intensity in every game thanks to rotation, than the possibility of Mata being used in a swap deal for Rooney.

Taking a totally dispassionate view, I can see some sort of logic behind the "Willian to replace Mata who will be offered to United in a swap deal for Rooney" type of stories that are now just starting to do the rounds. Given our wide ranging attacking strength in midfield and our dearth of a decent striker up top, it can be argued that we need Rooney more than we need Mata. Having said that, there's even more logic behind the argument "Willian is available, we can afford him and he's a significant upgrade on Moses who will now be allowed to leave".

As for players being unhappy, I think they'll all get plenty of game time with possibly close to 60 games to play if we're as successful as we all hope we'll be. Furthermore, players tend to be at their unhappiest when they're not being played and the team are struggling/losing. There aren't many unhappy players in a squad that are sweeping all before them so long as they all feel they are playing their part in that success. José's man-management will have everyone pulling in the same direction.

Zidane   

How is it that simple. He's just said that we don't want to sell anybody, just loan. Just does not add up whatsoever if we sold Mata.

Moses loan, Willian in, Rooney in, sell Moses in January/summer, home-grown quota stays the same?