Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

GURJ SS   

Oops 28 - it is the number checker on my phone

Maybe the phone was assessing their age based on last season's form.

GURJ SS   

I think we have missed a chance this close season. We had the opportunity to make a few key additions that would have made us virtually untouchable in the league, allowing us to focus more on the CL. Instead we will have a harder grind than last year in order to achieve the same success domestically and still be no closer to winning a second European Cup. Yes there is still a month to go in this window but it's now far too late for any additions to be game changers much before Christmas. Why, when we've been so proactive the last few years have we stumbled now. It's really rather vexing.

I agree.

We will all have different opinions of who should have come in, but I reckon we will all agree that we should have strengthened, without a doubt.

Personally I wanted us to have a proactive transfer window, so that we can be comfortable in the P.L. Our youth would have benefited from being able to rotate in an out of the squad without too much disruption to our starting line up. Truth now is that if one of our starters get injured, it will vastly bring the quality of our starting line up down, and no young player will get a look in at all.

I wanted Romeu, Mikel, Ramires, Marin, Salah and Cuadrado all out to raise funds.

Coming in: Witsel, Vidal, Greizmann and Traore(given the 4th spot).

We could have used the players out as deal makers in swap deals. Mikel for Witsel. Ramires/Salah for Vidal. Cuadrado/Salah for Greizmann. Just as examples.

Now we have a left and right back to get, which will swallow funds up. We have Kalas out on loan when we could have had him as a back up for CB and RB. We will have to fork out for a left back.

As for striker, we should have gone for Benteke and sent Remy the other way.

Personally I wanted us to have a proactive transfer window, so that we can be comfortable in the P.L. Our youth would have benefited from being able to rotate in an out of the squad without too much disruption to our starting line up. Truth now is that if one of our starters get injured, it will vastly bring the quality of our starting line up down, and no young player will get a look in at all.

I disagree with much of what you say, in this post and otherwise, but this bit is spot-on and key for me; our small squad dooms players who do have a shot at making it, because it makes bringing in a youngster just too much of a risk. Have a full squad and it's fine to risk a kid and hook them off as soon as necessary. Lack depth and it takes only a few knocks for the quality of your playing XI not quite good enough to carry inexperience.

There is no point 'promoting' youth in this sense. It doesn't work at the same time as winning or even just competing for the biggest titles. The best bet is having the luxury of being able to play kids and a few of them hopefully catching the eye.

GURJ SS   

I disagree with much of what you say, in this post and otherwise, but this bit is spot-on and key for me; our small squad dooms players who do have a shot at making it, because it makes bringing in a youngster just too much of a risk. Have a full squad and it's fine to risk a kid and hook them off as soon as necessary. Lack depth and it takes only a few knocks for the quality of your playing XI not quite good enough to carry inexperience.

There is no point 'promoting' youth in this sense. It doesn't work at the same time as winning or even just competing for the biggest titles. The best bet is having the luxury of being able to play kids and a few of them hopefully catching the eye.

That is what will happen, we will get one injury and Jose will put it down to having to work around injuries and not taking risks. Truth is we have and still are wasting a transfer window.

Just seem that Todd Kane has signed a new 3 year deal, so is the cover for right back sorted or are we still collecting players to send out on loan.

Harvz   

After such an efficient and exciting last summer, this one by contrast is absolutely bizarre. We sign up a new shirt sponsor, supposedly topping up the war chest that is already on the steroids that come with the new TV deal. So what do we go about doing with that? We strengthen one of our title rivals by giving them a world class goalkeeper. We effectively sign a striker that flopped for another one of our rivals last season. We sell the left back we bought last summer, before we bringing in a replacement. Then we start pre-season late, and have another friendly lined up after what is technically our first competitive fixture of the year. Oh, and its against a team that is supposedly engaged in legal action with one of our players if not with us directly.

We've been wizards in the transfer windows over the last few years, so my gut says trust the board/manager/whoever. Not particularly enjoying this though. If Costa struggles with his hamstring, as he has for a few years now, and if one of our other key players goes down, e.g. Matic, Fabregas, Hazard - I'm not sure how much faith I'll have in this squad getting us to within striking distance of any trophies.

^ To be fair though, we were all (well, many of us) scratching our heads in Mourinho's first summer back at some of the deals or the lack thereof. Given what we know happened afterwards, I wonder if players have been identified but we can't get them now; that could certainly fit with a loan signing up front because there is next to no chance that Falcao will be here next season no matter how optimistic you happen to be about his 2015/16.

I'd be surprised if seeming inaction is genuine complacency or the purse strings being drastically tightened as it seems to me hard to imagine the board and management wouldn't want to improve.

^ To be fair though, we were all (well, many of us) scratching our heads in Mourinho's first summer back at some of the deals or the lack thereof. Given what we know happened afterwards, I wonder if players have been identified but we can't get them now; that could certainly fit with a loan signing up front because there is next to no chance that Falcao will be here next season no matter how optimistic you happen to be about his 2015/16.

I'd be surprised if seeming inaction is genuine complacency or the purse strings being drastically tightened as it seems to me hard to imagine the board and management wouldn't want to improve.

Indeed that may well be the case, make do with what we have until we can sign the player we really want, could be a case of ,as an example, hold onto mikel/ramires till next summer then go all out for pogba or anothe example keeping a space half open for bamford if he gets 15-20 goals in the prem for palace, as signing a player to upgrade remy would block his potential route into the squad.

Not saying that is what would happen but it could be what the club are thinking.

Harvz   

Good, positive, way of looking at it. I like it. Pogba, Griezemann and Varane all in next summer then.

Yes I've been saying this for some time.