Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

After such an efficient and exciting last summer, this one by contrast is absolutely bizarre. We sign up a new shirt sponsor, supposedly topping up the war chest that is already on the steroids that come with the new TV deal. So what do we go about doing with that?

In all markets when there is a sudden jump up or down in prices, participants are very cautious about trading again until they have seen enough deals to make them confident about the new price levels.

We have seen on deal at the new level - Sterling for £50m. Was that excessive or just setting the new level.

For example my guess is that if we were to buy Bale from RM, the price would be of the order of £80m again - which in practice is a lot higher in the sense that I don't think Bale has shown himself to have justified that fee so far. But who is going to be the first to bid, and RM going to be the first to sell only to find prices are actually higher.

It may be that there is a pent up need for deals to be done, and a sudden rush happens at end August. But I suspect it will stay a quiet summer, and then a lot of big deals will be done next year.

I would have thought that after winning the league but failing in the CL, we would have tried to strengthen so that we can compete more readily in the CL. If anything, I feel like our squad now is weaker than last season. Experience has dropped, but energetic young buys with much to prove have not been brought in to replace them. Can't see us going far in the CL at all. Might end up causing England to lose our 4th spot because we're the only ones even trying to keep the coefficient up.

Holymoly   

I'd be surprised if seeming inaction is genuine complacency or the purse strings being drastically tightened as it seems to me hard to imagine the board and management wouldn't want to improve.

Maybe we're doing an Arsenal and telling Jose he can't spend any money until the new stadium is paid for.

May god have mercy on us all

Pato is up for grabs for £5M, still would be better then Balotelli...

There's a reason that fee is £5m and not £50m.

I've said on these boards Pato has been finished for a good few 5 years. Maybe even longer than that.

Bit surreal to even see his name in print again.

xCELERYx   

I'm all for 4:3:3; It would allow our wingers to exploit the space left by oposition fullbacks, instead of having to constantly back track. But in a 4:3:3; I think Fabregas may end up being the weak link, as he hasn't got the legs to play box to box.

Agreed. Which is why we'd play Cesc as a deep playmaker in an actual DM position though. Then have Matic/wheoever else on either side of him for the ball winning and clean up. Sort of like how Milan used Pirlo with Gattuso and Ambrosini.

The DM doesn't need to be a conventional DM like it is often thought.

Not that Mourinho will be that expansive or imaginative to do such a thing anyway.

GURJ SS   

There's a reason that fee is £5m and not £50m.

I've said on these boards Pato has been finished for a good few 5 years. Maybe even longer than that.

Bit surreal to even see his name in print again.

With Costa being injury prone, it still wouldn't be a bad idea to offer him a 1 year rolling contract on a paid as you play basis.

Edit: A bad injury period that was handled just as bad as the injuries were. It would be a no loss situation for us, as he would probably jump at the chance at a big club again.

He may just be finished, but we could do with another back up, and a paid as you play could end up being a shrewd bit of business.

Edited by GURJ SS

Well I haven't seen Pato play for a good few years. But I have a hard time seeing how he could offer any value to us at any price.

Unless of course he'd be free and agreed to play for milky bars.