Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

If anyone was in doubt over how much rubbish Jose spouts on a regular basis...

"Next year Solanke has two ways to go. For me it would be a big mistake for him to go on loan to another team in England or Europe.

I don't think JM is the decision maker here.

The part of the club which raises young players outside the first team squad is quite independent from the first team.

I think that is what JM was saying.

It was a lot easier when FA was here because I always knew who to blame. But there is still some essential conflict within the club over this kind of issue. Solanke is not going to add something to the title challenge. But will he learn more from training with the Chelsea squad or more from playing with Vitesse? I don't think either decision is clearly wrong. If the club (lets say Emenalo but who knows) together with Solanke decide Vitesse, even though JM things the squad is better, who can really say they are wrong.

xCELERYx   

I think Solanke going is a good move. He was never realistically going to get a chance here unless something drastic happened, and even then, he's physically not ready for the EPL yet. That was evident last season in the few games he got where he lacks the body strength still and was fairly easily worked off the ball. That will all come with age and further development though.

Could also hint another senior striker coming in?

I thought Roman wanted Bale at Chelsea?

If we really are relying on Costa to score all the goals, then we might as well give up now!

Go out and buy a proven goal scorer in the premiership, Charlie Austin, will come here for CL football, why are we only interested in defenders when everyone on here can see we need to strengthen in midfield and attack....

Are the board denying Jose the signings he wants?

GURJ SS   

I thought Roman wanted Bale at Chelsea?

If we really are relying on Costa to score all the goals, then we might as well give up now!

Go out and buy a proven goal scorer in the premiership, Charlie Austin, will come here for CL football, why are we only interested in defenders when everyone on here can see we need to strengthen in midfield and attack....

Are the board denying Jose the signings he wants?

Remember José's 3rd season, the eggs, Malouda replacing Robben, deja vu anyone?

I don't think JM is the decision maker here.

The part of the club which raises young players outside the first team squad is quite independent from the first team.

I think that is what JM was saying.

It was a lot easier when FA was here because I always knew who to blame. But there is still some essential conflict within the club over this kind of issue. Solanke is not going to add something to the title challenge. But will he learn more from training with the Chelsea squad or more from playing with Vitesse? I don't think either decision is clearly wrong. If the club (lets say Emenalo but who knows) together with Solanke decide Vitesse, even though JM things the squad is better, who can really say they are wrong.

All very reasonable.

My question is this though - why does he mention it at all? Not the first time he's done it.

I struggle to see the upside of potentially conflicting messages.

All very reasonable.

My question is this though - why does he mention it at all? Not the first time he's done it.

I struggle to see the upside of potentially conflicting messages.

1. it was a while ago wasn't it - end of last season when decisions hadn't been made and when the kids (Solanke, RLC etc) were supposed to be the subject of discussion

Edit: Actually back in January - a very long time ago for a 17 year old.

2. He says explicitly - a decision has to be made - and then a decisions was made - I see the "stay with the squad" comment as being praise for Solanke, not a challenge to the club.

3. He says a lot of things about everything (in fact everyone says a lot of things about 17 year olds and their future - one reason why 17 year olds get so embarrassed amongst adults).

Celebrate the fact that he is so open and talks so much. Don't worry if he sometimes fails to predict the future or if very minor and inevitable internal club conflicts sometimes come into the open.

I don't think that Solanke was being considered for a loan - but with Vitesse in desperate need of a striker the club see that they have a great chance to give a young player who has outgrown his level a chance to play a large proportion of top flight games in Holland. I don't think he'd benefit from a loan spell in the lower leagues and the Vitesse situation is the best he could get at the moment. I imagine that if he doesn't break into the first team he'll be quickly whisked back to Cobham.

Seems like the club have decided that, for this season at least, young players develop better in the Low Countries than in the ruthless world of the Championship.

1. it was a while ago wasn't it - end of last season when decisions hadn't been made and when the kids (Solanke, RLC etc) were supposed to be the subject of discussion

Edit: Actually back in January - a very long time ago for a 17 year old.

2. He says explicitly - a decision has to be made - and then a decisions was made - I see the "stay with the squad" comment as being praise for Solanke, not a challenge to the club.

3. He says a lot of things about everything (in fact everyone says a lot of things about 17 year olds and their future - one reason why 17 year olds get so embarrassed amongst adults).

Celebrate the fact that he is so open and talks so much. Don't worry if he sometimes fails to predict the future or if very minor and inevitable internal club conflicts sometimes come into the open.

I suppose that's reasonable.

The comments were made end of April though. Regarding the loan I think it makes sense to loan him out.

I suppose that's reasonable.

The comments were made end of April though. Regarding the loan I think it makes sense to loan him out.

Strange that - the page has SAT 3 JAN 2015 at the top but yes it does seem to have come out in April (ahead of the Arsenal game mentioned in the text)