Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Even though we're spending 17mil on him, I doubt Baba Rahman will make more than 5 starts in the league.

Hopefully we actually use him.

I know a lot of people, myself included, feel that we need more numbers not less but let's just say that £100m+ was spent on Pogba and Griezman, or Koke and Reus or any two genuinely world class players and we used some of the youth/loan players to make up the numbers and actually give them a chance, does anyone believe we wouldn't be a better team?

Yes - we wouldn't be a better team - over the course of 38 PL games + up to 7 CL knockout games.

You can't use youth players to make up the numbers - you need a core squad of 20 at least before you start making up the numbers with marginal players. 22 would be better and if I were in charge it would be 25.

Last time we reached a CL final we have 4 players suspended. Malouda was not fit to start, and Essien played only occasionally after a pre-season major injury.

Edited by Droy was my hero

cam4blue   

Either A) José is being incredibly egotistical by believing getting more out of the same players as last season is feasible, or B) somebody has upset the board/owner and they're not being allowed to buy their eggs at Waitrose any more.

A) Why is it egotistical to expect the players we had last season to perform at the same standard (or better)? Costa is the only one I have reservations about doing that TBH (and I expect the club will be mulling that over too). If patient building year on year is the reality (and it seems to be), I don't necessarily think that's a bad reality. Can't spend forever waving a chequebook at problems. It became obvious we weren't playing that game in Jose's first year back.

B) There is literally no evidence for that. Who should we be buying that we aren't? Look who is moving and for what price. If no-one is buying at Waitrose maybe it isn't open for business (and ironic of course that quite a few of the posters who seem to be saying this are the same posters who are dead against the big money signing we actually are trying to make).

Madrid confirmed they turned down two bids for Bale from United for 100m plus.

We were never going to go that high.

Pogba too, moot point.

Anyone paying £100m for Bale is certifiable.

I'd struggle to see a scenario where £50m isn't well over the top. He's just not that good is he?

The rumours are Danny Rose for £15M, he would give us another option in terms of going forward, but the defensive side of his game will need to be worked on. Still a lot of money, I would have been more happier if we were linked to Cresswell, as he would likely to be cheaper too.

We let Bertrand leave for what? £10m?

Why would we contemplate £15m for Rose? That would be right up there with some of the worst business we've done...

Kezza   

At the moment Hazard, Cesc, Costa and Matic does not have any credible challenger in the squad. How we ended up this way and and yet Jose said we don't need anymore of such players doea my head in.

GURJ SS   

We let Bertrand leave for what? £10m?

Why would we contemplate £15m for Rose? That would be right up there with some of the worst business we've done...

I agree, I think it may be our club trying to make Rahman's club accept a lower bid then they want. Just us possibly putting a story out that we may go elsewhere, seeing as Rahman's club have already signed another left back.

GURJ SS   

At the moment Hazard, Cesc, Costa and Matic does not have any credible challenger in the squad. How we ended up this way and and yet Jose said we don't need anymore of such players doea my head in.

In my opinion neither does Willian, and Oscar only does because of a tactical change when we want to be negative. Also Azpi and Ivan can be added to the list.

In my opinion neither does Willian, and Oscar only does because of a tactical change when we want to be negative. Also Azpi and Ivan can be added to the list.

And Courtois, Costa, Cahill and JT by that standard.

"I think what other teams are doing will make a different Premier League. Crystal Palace buy [Yohan] Cabaye and Connor Wickham, as an example. I could give you much more examples. So, welcome this mentality, welcome this economic power, welcome this ambition.

If the Premier League was difficult, the Premier League will now be more difficult and I think fewer points to win the title. I think more defeats, more lost points for the top teams.

It was always difficult to win matches in England. Always difficult. I think now more difficult. I was giving examples of Crystal Palace, I could give you examples of Stoke City, I could give you examples of Newcastle United, I could give you examples of Watford. The teams are going to be stronger and I think it will be more difficult for all of us.

Everybody knows it’s difficult in this country but these teams are going to be difficult not just for the champions, they are going to be difficult for everybody.

They will take points from us, they will take points from other clubs, the distance will shorten for sure, and I think good."

Of course they're more likely to take points off you if they strengthen and you don't!!! Is he making excuses already?