Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

27 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

He is, isn't he.  that is FA and Man U trained for CL purposes.

You know what I mean 

2 minutes ago, chelsea_matt said:

You know what I mean 

But it does open up a debate.  Is the English premium for being FA registered or for marketing purposes. or some dumb old idea like having to have a real English spine.  
And is there a Welsh premium?  And if so why is the only to British footballer I can think off playing abroad, Welsh?

Just heard a report on SSN where they said a " couple of England players helped convince John Stones to sign for City " .

I expect one of them was Gary Cahill.

cam4blue   
33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

He is, isn't he.  that is FA and Man U trained for CL purposes.

Pogba missed out by 3 months IIRC. 

Lukaku (I think) counts as Association Trained though; so he is effectively "English" in the same way Begovic and Cesc are. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just heard a report on SSN where they said a " couple of England players helped convince John Stones to sign for City " .

I expect one of them was Gary Cahill.

:)  I know you don't mean it that way, but it is surprising that Cahill plays so much more for England even this year than the man we were supposedly bidding £40m+ for a year ago.  More than Smalling too.  Perhaps he isn't as bad as some are determined to claim.

(I'm using wikipedia so  I only have appearances per year to go on - certainly I haven't watched England in a long time)

56 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

:)  I know you don't mean it that way, but it is surprising that Cahill plays so much more for England even this year than the man we were supposedly bidding £40m+ for a year ago.  More than Smalling too.  Perhaps he isn't as bad as some are determined to claim.

(I'm using wikipedia so  I only have appearances per year to go on - certainly I haven't watched England in a long time)

Or maybe English centre halves isn't what they used to be? 

I reckon John Terry will be the last world class centre back England produces for quite a while. It will be at least a decade if not more before England has anyone even remotely close to JT. Of course it's a very tough yardstick to measure up against, but that's what world class means. 

John Stones doesn't have a chance to even be meantioned in the same sentence as JT once his career is over.

DannyLB   
36 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Or maybe English centre halves isn't what they used to be? 

I reckon John Terry will be the last world class centre back England produces for quite a while. It will be at least a decade if not more before England has anyone even remotely close to JT. Of course it's a very tough yardstick to measure up against, but that's what world class means. 

John Stones doesn't have a chance to even be meantioned in the same sentence as JT once his career is over.

A bit harsh, I think. 22 year old playing under Pep, he has a chance there, he's far from the finished product.

With the reports of Madrid being interested in Alaba, I think we should join that race, if bids will be listened to. By far one of the best full backs in the world, If we want to be join that European elite again, he is the type of player we should be attracting; although no CL this year would clearly be a barrier.

GURJ SS   
20 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

A bit harsh, I think. 22 year old playing under Pep, he has a chance there, he's far from the finished product.

Is he too far from ever being a finished product? He is 22 but still can't do what a centre back should be able to do the best; which is defend.