Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

8 minutes ago, Carefree1991 said:

With the reports of Madrid being interested in Alaba, I think we should join that race, if bids will be listened to. By far one of the best full backs in the world, If we want to be join that European elite again, he is the type of player we should be attracting; although no CL this year would clearly be a barrier.

I think we have to accept that the very very elite won't be joining us until we get back in the CL. No star wants to miss a season in the CL.

United are out but the two world-class players they attracted are a) an old timer who's got history with Mourinho and nothing left to prove and b) a guy who is returning home to United so emotionally connected to the club.

Teams outside the CL don't attract the very best players in the world from other CL contenders. 

Alaba would not join us this year.

Zoowraa   
1 minute ago, GURJ SS said:

Is he too far from ever being a finished product? He is 22 but still can't do what a centre back should be able to do the best; which is defend. 

This is not very accurate though. For sure he has made crucial errors and overplayed on a number of occassions, but I have also seen him be flawless at times too. I have seen him play games against top quality centre forwards in the last 18 months and they have got nothing out of him.

Without doubt he needs to improve parts of his game and I'm sure he will. So many judge players in such a black/white manner, if he makes a mistake early on people will be talking about it and saying what a waste of money. If he starts in great form then we'll hear nothing from people , until that mistake comes and it will be soon what a waste of money etc etc.

To say he can't defend is just not in any way remotely accurate. We're talking  position on the field that players don't really fully mature in until they are late 20s, Stones is still 6 years away from that. He does read situations well and he has good pace to cover and intercept in those areas. He is decent in the air and and has the physical stature to compete with players too.

A lot of people writing him off of the back of one poor season, when quite a few Everton players disappointed and in a season where they had their strongest squad for probably two decades, they still managed to finished behind us and we were shocking.

10 minutes ago, Stiffmeister said:

I think we have to accept that the very very elite won't be joining us until we get back in the CL. No star wants to miss a season in the CL.

United are out but the two world-class players they attracted are a) an old timer who's got history with Mourinho and nothing left to prove and b) a guy who is returning home to United so emotionally connected to the club.

Teams outside the CL don't attract the very best players in the world from other CL contenders. 

Alaba would not join us this year.

I know, I think its more out of hope that I say it, seeing others buy sought after players, knowing we need to improve so much to close the gap is not a reassuring feeling.

It's an interesting discussion the Stones v Terry thing. Time will tell but he certainly has a hell of a yardstick against which to me measured. Funny. Remember when Micah was the best thing since sliced bread and look where he ended up. Weirdly, same with Lescott too! 

GURJ SS   
2 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

This is not very accurate though. For sure he has made crucial errors and overplayed on a number of occassions, but I have also seen him be flawless at times too. I have seen him play games against top quality centre forwards in the last 18 months and they have got nothing out of him.

Without doubt he needs to improve parts of his game and I'm sure he will. So many judge players in such a black/white manner, if he makes a mistake early on people will be talking about it and saying what a waste of money. If he starts in great form then we'll hear nothing from people , until that mistake comes and it will be soon what a waste of money etc etc.

To say he can't defend is just not in any way remotely accurate. We're talking  position on the field that players don't really fully mature in until they are late 20s, Stones is still 6 years away from that. He does read situations well and he has good pace to cover and intercept in those areas. He is decent in the air and and has the physical stature to compete with players too.

A lot of people writing him off of the back of one poor season, when quite a few Everton players disappointed and in a season where they had their strongest squad for probably two decades, they still managed to finished behind us and we were shocking.

Crucial errors that would have had him loaned out at a top club and gone on to be forgotten about. I'm not sure we can say that it was him who stopped those forwards, his partner always looked extra stressed; something I always pointed out amongst friends and family when watching Everton with Stones in the side.

Christensen is a better defender, Stones has pace but Zouma gets criticism for having to rely on his pace to bail him out; I accept a player matures later in defence but Stones' maturity level is already lagging in my opinio; he has some catching up to do. Personally I think Man City will struggle to have both Kompany and Stones in the same defence as they both like to bring the ball out of defence, and neither are the best when they try to sit, they need to be moving and need to engage in the game constantly; problem is only 1 should be doing that.

I haven't written him off totally regarding his career, don't get me wrong here I think Stones is a good footballer on the ball, but he would be better in midfield, actually he has the same problem as Luiz has which is they are stuck in between defence and midifeld; definitely not the sort of defender we would have needed.

Is £50M too much? Far too much for him at the moment, even with the crazy prices. I suppose the bonus in it is, if Stones turns into a top defender then Man City will have a player who will most likely stay with them for the next 10 years; but it's a big risk and I won't be surprised if he pulls a Sterling.

xCELERYx   

The upside to Stones is that he'll hold his value fairly well. So, even if he does fail at City there's a solid chance that his transfer fee will be largely recouped because of his Englishness and age, (serious injury preventing). This could see City essentially only pay £20m or so for a player they'll have for a handful of seasons. Which to them, isn't much different to signing someone for that price to begin with and then letting them walk for free/nominal value. If it works out, then they're potentially set for a defender for the next 10 years just about. While the risk is fairly high, the reward outweighs it if it all pans out.
*Not suggesting Stones is worth the money.

xCELERYx   

Juventus are hoping to include Simone Zaza in their bid for Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic.

Multiple sources including Sky Sport Italia note Matic is the ideal replacement for Paul Pogba following his record-breaking €105m plus €5m bonus transfer to Manchester United.

A meeting between Chelsea and Matic’s agent was due to take place today, but Sky claim the encounter was postponed by the club.

Mediaset Premium report that Juventus hope to use Zaza as part of a potential exchange deal for Matic.

Striker Zaza has said he doesn’t want to leave Turin and above all Serie A, but is believed to be loosening his position.

Wolfsburg have made a €25m offer to Juventus for Zaza, but the Italy international is not convinced.

If he got the chance to work with ex-Azzurri boss Antonio Conte at Stamford Bridge, he’d be more likely to accept a move away from Italy.

Kezza   

Looks like there's a chance we will happily sell Matic and get another non-entity player in exchange.

23 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Looks like there's a chance we will happily sell Matic and get another non-entity player in exchange.

Simone Zaza, who plays for Juve and Italy (if that's who you're referring to), is hardly a 'non'entity', is he? Still, it's only another rumour at this stage.

Kezza   
47 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Simone Zaza, who plays for Juve and Italy (if that's who you're referring to), is hardly a 'non'entity', is he? Still, it's only another rumour at this 

If you think his appearance and goals record for Juventus and Italy warrants that he not be called non-entity.

Maybe non-entity is too harsh but this seems like a third best option when your first and second option isn't achievable. I don't even believe he was considered an option by Conte or the club. The point is we might settle for another Djilobodji, Hector situation where anything and everything will do.

P/s maybe I should say a non-entity for a club like ours and our ambition. It should be outright cash for our players. Should never be forced into accepting a player used to sweeten a deal. We are not Everton. 

Edited by Kezza
None