Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   
On 26/09/2016 at 10:19 AM, blue moon said:

As Kurt Kobain never said: "Come back Zooma, it's getting dangerous; with Bran and Gary, they're going to brain us. This poor defending, is it contagious? Here we are now, entertain us." ... I'll get my coat.

Turning in my grave at that one......

boy-indie-kurt-cobain-music-Favim.com-1022074.jpg

Edited by Ham

1 hour ago, nutmegsw6 said:

Ben Davies. Michael Keane. Ben Gibson - well they certainly aren't world class players. 

Nor was Lampard when we signed him.

8 minutes ago, nutmegsw6 said:

But Frank was an Intertoto Cup winner though. 

Was he? I didn't realise that.

Joking aside (and I'm not having a go at you), but there are some people who decry the lack of an English spine in the team (and others that just decry the lack of any sort of spine!)  Even if we never make it back into Europe, we still need some English players in the side under the Premier League's own rules. If we assume Terry and Cahill are gone next season, and Fabregas too, possibly, then we're going to need some home grown players from somewhere if we're not to continue having minuscule squads.

Some of those HG players may come through from the academy (Chalobah, Aina, Abraham and Christensen seem the most likely in the short-term), but we need to have eight over 21s if we want to have a full squad of 25. Much as I (and I don't doubt others too) would love it, I honestly can't see us having eight over 21 year olds in the squad next season who have come through the various age groups of the club. We will need to look elsewhere.

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Was he? I didn't realise that.

Joking aside (and I'm not having a go at you), but there are some people who decry the lack of an English spine in the team (and others that just decry the lack of any sort of spine!)  Even if we never make it back into Europe, we still need some English players in the side under the Premier League's own rules. If we assume Terry and Cahill are gone next season, and Fabregas too, possibly, then we're going to need some home grown players from somewhere if we're not to continue having minuscule squads.

Some of those HG players may come through from the academy (Chalobah, Aina, Abraham and Christensen seem the most likely in the short-term), but we need to have eight over 21s if we want to have a full squad of 25. Much as I (and I don't doubt others too) would love it, I honestly can't see us having eight over 21 year olds in the squad next season who have come through the various age groups of the club. We will need to look elsewhere.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with looking elsewhere to fulfil what's needed. The main point of it will be making sure we're bringing in suitable players who can actually do a job of some sort when required, opposed to just buying players for their home grown status and not really being useable. 

Someone like a Jack Cork would be a tidy pick up for midfield as an example. Good age, works hard and offers some grit and keeps things simple with the ball. Added bonus is his club trained status, or whatever it's called. For me, he'd be a smarter target then some of the other overpriced options currently in the league. 

One player who can't get in his own side and two players who are more used to championship football, I understand the need for home grown players but it all seems a little desperate, not writing them off, just sceptical as to why players, from other clubs, that haven't hit any particular heights, are now being considered. Is it because we unwilling to pay prices on, or are unable to attract, better foreign ones? Is because we don't have belief in our own academy players? Or is this where the club see it's new players coming from based on budgets rather than recruitment strategies? 

Edited by nutmegsw6

9 hours ago, zaffo said:

Someone like a Jack Cork would be a tidy pick up for midfield as an example. Good age, works hard and offers some grit and keeps things simple with the ball. Added bonus is his club trained status, or whatever it's called

Does he?  He was on loan for a hell of a lot of time.  Sounds to me more like Bertrand who if I recall was not club trained.

Bring back Huth  :)