Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   

Can Ross Barkley play in the center?

Looks like a box to box player and a ready made Lampard replacement on current form.

Apparently Real Madrid will not be renewing Xabi Alonso's contract, I know he is not everyone's favourite player and is certainly not a long term solution but if we could sign him in January for a reasonable fee surely we must have a look at it?

Edited by Hazardous

Baines is anything but a hopeless defender. Never looked lacking defensively in any of the games against us, did he? Oh, and he is quite good at freekicks and crosses - thanks for pointing that out. Not to mention that he rampages up and down the left flank and would suit Hazard perfectly..

Can't see any sense in coveting a full back who is nearly 30. He's a bog average defender. Always going to get found out at the highest level. No room for improvement and only one way to go - downhill.

I shouldn't have to defend any chelsea player for the odd error as every single player makes errors but Luiz gets very unfair treatment on here in my opinion.

The problem is that every single error Luiz makes ends up on here as a gif. That gives the impression of someone who makes more errors than anyone else and that isn't true. It just so happens that people who have never rated him are the ones who arm themselves with the same old gifs whenever the discussion comes up.

You can forensically pick apart the performances of a player all you want if you want to discredit him but you will never convince me that he is not a great asset to this club as a whole. I can excuse the odd error by any chelsea player, what I will never accept is a lack of effort and commitment and that's something you can never accuse him of.

And by the way I was not directly comparing him to Cahill as if to say they were equally good or bad players. I was pointing out that errors made are not equally highlighted on here. Luiz is a far better player than Cahill (in my opinion).

Although I can see where you're coming from I have to disagree. Luiz gets a lot of criticism because he makes more NOTICEABLE mistakes compared to other defenders at the club.

Whether that I means he makes MORE mistakes then others I don't want to say, but he does make far too many blunders that will have you rest your head in your hands.

Given his status and apparent standing in world football I'd say I had expected a lot more from him.

The lads who cry for him to play at DM... Seriously. You have no idea what that position requires. Luiz is the WORST fit for that position.

I'm sure JM is privately laughing at Tubby playing him there.

If one of his mistakes end up with the opposition scoring one goal (once a season or however often that happens) then I'll take that for all the benefit he offers over a season.

You're absolutely right that it comes down to whether you think the good outweighs the bad and that's exactly why there is so much discussion on Luiz. There's a similar discussion on Mikel, Mata and Ramires.

● Does Mikel's slowness on the ball and negativity outweigh his reliability/calmness on the ball?

● Do Mata's goals and assists make up for a lack of miles covered when we don't have the ball?

● Do Ramires' work rate and counter attacking skills make up for poor passing and a low success percentage on shooting?

I personally have a view on each and it isn't based on any opta stats or gifs, it's based on what my eyes tell me from watching chelsea.

Spot on mate.

And that's why there's so much aggressive discussion in those topics. What most people seem to forget is that JM is the the man who will have to decide whether the pros outweigh the cons.

I have my thoughts on each player. But we have members in here that evaluates each player without any regard to what's expected of them from the manager. That's the reason you have so many silly 'alternative' views.

Can't see any sense in coveting a full back who is nearly 30. He's a bog average defender. Always going to get found out at the highest level. No room for improvement and only one way to go - downhill.

This.

If we wanted Baines we should have signed him 7 seasons ago. But he wasn't deemed good enough so why should he be now?

Average. He'll have no chance to ever be close to produce what Ashley produced.