Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

jones   
2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I think Morata will stay, Higuain will come in and Willian will be sold to fund it.

We're not white one in one out, our net spend the last couple of seasons shows that.

If rumours are to be believed our squad will look something like this next season. I'll  include Courtois as it will be him or one other.

Courtois, Caballero, GK3

Azpilicueta, Alonso, Emerson, Moses, Zappacosta 

Christensen, Rudiger, Cahill, Rugani

Kante, Jorginho, Fabregas, Drinkwater, Golovin, Loftus Cheek 

Hazard, Pedro, Barkley

Higuain, Morata, Giroud, Batshuayi 

I'm basing this on us playing 4312 so Hazard,  Barkley and Pedro as the number 10's

Its a squad with a lot of quality and depth, at least two players for each position.

Willian and Luiz I think are gone. Courtois too if we find a replacement.  I think one of Bakayoko or Zappacosta will leave due to squad restrictions, other than that I don't see anyone else leaving.

Courtois 

Azpilicueta Christensen Rudiger Alonso

Kante Jorginho Golovin 

Hazard 

Higuain Morata 

Caballero 

Zappacosta Cahill Rugani Emerson

Drinkwater Fabregas Loftus Cheek 

Pedro

Giroud Batshuayi  

Even if it currently is better use of our squad to go 4-3-1-2, it would still be a big surprise to me if that was Sarri’s plan. Our best first XI is with a 4-3-3, I think. Also, that was the formation Higuain succeeded in under Sarri, and we certainly seem to want hil very much. If you look at the squad that went to Australia, there are 2 CFs and 5 AMs, so we for sure will see 4-3-3 against Perth imo. 

What we need to do is back Sarri with the right players to play the way he wants, not let the squad conte built limit his chances. After all, we only need 3-4 new players to get a very good Sarri first XI as well as a decent squad. Not too much to ask imo.

If we sell Morata and Giroud to fund Higuain, keep Willian, Hazard and Pedro, promote Hudson-Odoi and have one or two of Barkley and Golovin vacating at AM as well, I’d say that is good enough to go 4-3-3 and aim for top 4.

5 AMs: Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi, Barkley/Golovin

2 CFs: Higuain, Batshuayi

Edited by jones

7 minutes ago, jones said:

Even if it currently is better use of our squad to go 4-3-1-2, it would still be a big surprise to me if that was Sarri’s plan. Our best first XI is with a 4-3-3, I think. Also, that was the formation Higuain succeeded in under Sarri, and we certainly seem to want hil very much. If you look at the squad that went to Australia, there are 2 CFs and 5 AMs, so we for sure will see 4-3-3 against Perth imo. 

What we need to do is back Sarri with the right players to play the way he wants, not let the squad conte built limit his chances. After all, we only need 3-4 new players to get a very good Sarri first XI as well as a decent squad. Not too much to ask imo.

If we sell Morata and Giroud to fund Higuain, keep Willian, Hazard and Pedro, promote Hudson-Odoi and have one or two of Barkley and Golovin vacating at AM as well, I’d say that is good enough to go 4-3-3 and aim for top 4.

5 AMs: Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi, Barkley/Golovin

2 CFs: Higuain, Batshuayi

Which is all well and good and don't get me wrong I want to see us play 433 but that set of players you list is nowhere near good enough in terms of depth.

We would basically play the whole season with 5 players for the front 3 positions and only Hazard, Pedro and Willian again as AM's. Not enough.

Hudson Odoi and Barkley are not genuine options there. Golovin may or may not be but have you ever seen him play in a front three?

If we are going to play 433, which again I hope we do, then we need at least two more attacking midfielders and they need to be very good, which will mean very expensive. And we have to keep Willian, which looks unlikely. 

Why do we want to fixate on one formation? I'm sure many on here would say it has been our downfall at times in the past. I think a club needs a way of playing or a preferred system, but having the ability to change could set us apart from the rest. Having a squad that can play in a 4-3-3 and 4-3-1-2 would be great; plus the squad having played 3 at the back over the last 2 seasons, it gives us options.

In terms of wide men, Moses by trade is a winger so he could fill in on the right if needs be. I remember him having a good Europa league campaign last time out playing wide right and ultimately I think that's his level when playing as a winger.

Morata and Batshuayi would both be better in a pair, alongside either Higuain or Giroud. Morata may be quite tall but he is not your typical big man up front.

I don't think Bats is good enough to start regularly, full stop.  He is a goal scorer not a big target man, that is true.  But he is not just poor off the ball when we have it, he is poor off the ball when they have it too.  If you play as the smaller 2nd striker, the work rate has to be high.
Morata may not be a pure big man, but his strength in the air is still a principal asset.  I can't see how he starts besides Giroud or Higuain.

Hazard and Pedro could both certainly play as a second striker but if we play one behind as well I think they would both want to drop off and occupy the same space as the number 10.

I think they will do as they are told.  And always have.  I really don't see either as having ignored instructions in the past.  True Hazard's work rate dropped off last season, but I'm pretty sure that was in line with instructions.

51 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

If we are going to play 433, which again I hope we do, then we need at least two more attacking midfielders and they need to be very good, which will mean very expensive. And we have to keep Willian, which looks unlikely. 

Which is precisely what went wrong under Conte.  Do you really want to repeat that cost cutting experiment?
Back to the days when we had a stack load of quality RBs:  Belletti, Ferreira, Bosingwa, Ivanovic, with Mancienne and Essien as back-up - all at the same time.  Great value for money players at the (same) time.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Well, look at the players we have and who we are being linked too. I haven't seen a single mention to an attacking midfielder or winger to suggest we will play 433

I wouldn't worry about links.  Correlation between who we are linked to and who we buy is very low.

3 minutes ago, Carefree1991 said:

In terms of wide men, Moses by trade is a winger so he could fill in on the right if needs be. I remember him having a good Europa league campaign last time out playing wide right and ultimately I think that's his level when playing as a winger.

Good Europa league campaign is damp praise indeed.  And either we win it or I'd rather we don't make an effort.  Either way Moses is not needed.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Good Europa league campaign is damp praise indeed.  And either we win it or I'd rather we don't make an effort.  Either way Moses is not needed.

Agreed it is damp praise, but if he is able to offer something at that level (the level we are competing at this season) then, in my opinion, he's most definitely needed giving an option when better players need a rest.

I hope we end up being in a position to win it. Using the group stages and early knockout rounds giving lesser players game time and better players rest, then hopefully we reach the latter stages to take it seriously. I would like to be sitting here in 12 months with a European trophy under our belts with a Super Cup to contend for as well.

Looks like Golovin to Monaco is imminent , also Athletico Madrid rumoured to want Giroud on loan.

kratos   
19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Looks like Golovin to Monaco is imminent , also Athletico Madrid rumoured to want Giroud on loan.

Not going to lose much sleep over Golovin, I don't really get the hype with him. I don't remember there being a lot of good Russian footballers since Kanchelskis and maybe Mostovoi.

39 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Where is that coming from? One of his CSKA buddies went to Twitter and said good luck at Chelsea. Most outlets are saying he will be with us shortly. 

8 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Where is that coming from? One of his CSKA buddies went to Twitter and said good luck at Chelsea. Most outlets are saying he will be with us shortly. 

Matteo Pedrosi on Twitter , apparently we are delaying things because we're trying for Pjanic and Monaco have outbid us by €5m whilst we dither .

Kezza   
46 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Matteo Pedrosi on Twitter , apparently we are delaying things because we're trying for Pjanic and Monaco have outbid us by €5m whilst we dither .

Why Pjanic or Golovin. We actually need both. Wish the club would stop toying around and seal these deals.