Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's mental money for someone who may not turn out to be very good. 

Of course, the counter argument is that if he turns out to be a world beater, we look pretty silly. Big "if" though.

As DWMH says, plenty of 18 year olds have been the next big thing from Mceachren, to Baker to Solanke, via Izzy Brown, Islam Feruz and Michael Mancienne. 

Don't forget Kakuta!

39 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

As DWMH says, plenty of 18 year olds have been the next big thing from Mceachren, to Baker to Solanke, via Izzy Brown, Islam Feruz and Michael Mancienne. 

Obviously though we made all those players crap by not giving them chances while we were busy winning titles. 

I like Hudson-Odoi and think he should be here, but yes; you're taking the outlier position if you suggest buying a highly-rated 18 year old Chelsea youth player for £30m is a good investment. If you look at Chelsea's record of playing kids and the vast amounts of money flushed down the toilet keeping kids here based on potential, you could only reach the conclusion that we should laugh all the way to the bank with Bayern's alleged offer. 

Depends on how good he is, and I've read enough high praise for kids who never did anything and were never likely to to be happy leaving that assessment and decision to the club. 

27 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Don't forget Kakuta!

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Obviously though we made all those players crap by not giving them chances while we were busy winning titles. 

Beat me to it.  Kakuta would have been a world beater if only we had given him a chance.

paulw66   
11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I like Hudson-Odoi and think he should be here, but yes; you're taking the outlier position if you suggest buying a highly-rated 18 year old Chelsea youth player for £30m is a good investment. If you look at Chelsea's record of playing kids and the vast amounts of money flushed down the toilet keeping kids here based on potential, you could only reach the conclusion that we should laugh all the way to the bank with Bayern's alleged offer. 

Depends on how good he is, and I've read enough high praise for kids who never did anything and were never likely to to be happy leaving that assessment and decision to the club. 

I think the bold bit is key....... I see someone compared it to Jadon Sancho, but of course, Dortmund paid about £8m for him. Slightly different! 

Edited by paulw66

paulw66   
On 1/3/2019 at 0:01 PM, NoblyBobly said:

1. Is there? Do you know the details (length, money, terms) ? Maybe he wont sign because his agent thinks it's not good enough for such a promising player. He might be right.

2. Presumably. But how much do they want to keep him? Not enough apparently to tell other clubs he's not for sale...in fact they have let it be known the amount of money they want for him.

3. Wind his neck in? I'm not even sure his neck is out there. Like all players on the bench I'm sure he wants to play more but when he does  He plays with a smile on his face and I've certainly never heard him moan in public about playing time or chances, and my God he would have a legitimate case to moan looking at the kind of performances some of our AM players are putting in . By comparison, a player like Christenson is the kind that needs to wind his neck in. Loads of chances in all comps , loads of bad performances deserving of being dropped yet he starts threatening to leave if he doesn't play more! 

Hudson has got Leipsig, Juve and Bayern Munich watching his every move because they know he is one of the great young prospects in Europe. These clubs aren't stupid. We can be stupid and we will be stupid especially if we lose this player. What Chelsea need to do is sit him down with his agent, discuss/improve his contract offer, get him to sign and then tell other clubs to back off.   

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11598656/chelsea-want-callum-hudson-odoi-to-stay-says-gianfranco-zola

Contract offer is there.....Of course the details of it are not ever going to be public, so somewhat pointless asking me what they are. 

If he doesn't sign a new deal, for whatever reason, then we need to get the best fee we can. 

The comparison with Christensen is backwards - a player with almost 100 top flight senior league appearances, approx 20 CL games, and 23 internationals has far more justification to question his lack of game time, than an 18 year old who so far has done nothing. 

https://twitter.com/liam_twomey/status/1081167872347553792

Zola on Hudson-Odoi: "I know Bayern is very interested in him but we are as well. We have been proposing a contract to him for quite a while, so we wait & see. We value him as a player. I know he hasn't played as much as he maybe wanted"

Edited by blue_everest

chelboy   

I am not really sure why people are saying CHO is forcing his way out? He sees a club that does not have a great track record for developing youths. He sees a bunch of 40 youth players have that been loaned out to several different clubs year in year out which will give them unstable starts to their careers. Many of these loan moves some players have been poorly placed in . He also sees someone like Sancho go abroad and find success rather than  playing under 18’s with players above his talent. Then to top it off he sees a manager who does not rotate at all. Why on earth would any player want to stay under such circumstances? People should be realistic and put yourself in his shoes. Any young player that trusts our board with developing their career should have their head examined. We do not even have a replacement for Emenalo since he left and the last person I would trust with my future is Marina. If the board really cared about developing youths why would they hire managers like Sarri in the first place. It sends the opposite message to them. CHO is doing the right thing for himself by leaving us. Under Sarri especially we are going to lose a lot of good young talent. No one is going to want to stay with that kind of rotation and lack of chances. 

• Like 1

Ham   
44 minutes ago, blue_everest said:

https://twitter.com/liam_twomey/status/1081167872347553792

Zola on Hudson-Odoi: "I know Bayern is very interested in him but we are as well. We have been proposing a contract to him for quite a while, so we wait & see. We value him as a player. I know he hasn't played as much as he maybe wanted"

He went on to say that he should be patient as Willian and Pedro are "experienced" players in front of him which I read as "old/almost finished with us". 

53 minutes ago, chelboy said:

We do not even have a replacement for Emenalo since he left and the last person I would trust with my future is Marina.

We've won 2 titles under Marina.  Monaco have collapsed since Emenalo went.  Sounds good to me.