Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   

In that case Giroud needs to be used week in, week out on the pitch or bench in place of Bats.  

That's my one criticism of Lamps this season.  His treatment of Giroud. I'd have slaughtered Sarri or Conte for the same so only fair. 

• Like 1

Leo91   

We're going to fall for the Chilwell trap aren't we in the summer. Leicester will be rubbing their hands.

Edited by Leo91

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

In that case Giroud needs to be used week in, week out on the pitch or bench in place of Bats.  

That's my one criticism of Lamps this season.  His treatment of Giroud. I'd have slaughtered Sarri or Conte for the same so only fair. 

All is not lost, we've asked if we can play a few games on Twitter instead and Bats is great on there. 

Get in! 

• Haha 1

Bison   

Lampard visibly unhappy in his presser today according to most reports. Short answers (unusual for him) and just a low atmosphere (again unusual for him).

Lampard was supposed to be the feel good manager and the club have somehow ruined that. There's no way he behaves like that today if he wasn't given assurances about January once the ban had been overturned.

kratos   
14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

All is not lost, we've asked if we can play a few games on Twitter instead and Bats is great on there. 

Get in! 

Top 4 here we come lol.

7 minutes ago, Bison said:

Lampard visibly unhappy in his presser today according to most reports. Short answers (unusual for him) and just a low atmosphere (again unusual for him).

Lampard was supposed to be the feel good manager and the club have somehow ruined that. There's no way he behaves like that today if he wasn't given assurances about January once the ban had been overturned.

I've just read he's reported as saying "I clearly wanted to bring players in and that hasn't happened". 

I expect he'll have the tracksuit on next time. 

• Haha 2

In fairness, Frank doesn't seem to downbeat in the press conference from what I've seen. Having a bit of a joke with the journalists about whether we're signing certain players.

He has confirmed Giroud is staying, confirms Cavani and Mertens aren't coming in. Saying the window is 95% closed for us... so not 100%, but I think it just about confirms nobody is coming in.

I'm off to buy shares in the local cotton wool company, as Tammy is going to need wrapping in it between every game!

Kezza   
1 hour ago, Ham said:

Whats wrong with what Lamps did? Giroud doesn't score goals and in a team where our midfielders don't score enough I dont see what's wrong with leaving Giroud on the bench? Tammy is a more prolific goalscorer than Giroud ever was.

Its all about the right balance isn’t it?

We don’t want to spend a lot of money on short term solutions, but sometimes short term solutions benefit long term solutions.

in my eyes it is a big gamble not to strengthen either in first team or depth, short or long term, because only a fine margin separates us from the rest of the top 4 candidates. We are 6 points ahead with many games to play and if we lose our starter in a number of positions, especially attack, we are in for a fight. In my eyes Many seasons we have been too thin in squad depth but this season is even more nerve wrecking. We have a lot of young players that have never played a full PL season, so we cannot say if they can keep up their level for the remaining season. On the other hand our more experienced players are also becoming older and may also drop in form/get injured.

to me it seems a no brainer to try and get some depth as a precaution at least. In my eyes we can loose more than we gain from not doing this. 
If we don’t strengthen in depth and we suffer from injuries, we may lose our CL spot. That to me is the big gamble and the consequences are vast in the summer. No CL and we will be far less competitive in bringing in the game changing talents we need.

when we won the CL Hazard chose us. Would a player like him choose us and europa league over Tottenham/united if they qualify for CL? 
my heart says yes cause we are the best club in the world, but my brain is less convinced.

so it essentially comes down to do we want to increase our chances of top4 with a short term solution, and would that in essence help us long term (CL spot secured). - Yes, in my eyes.

I don’t watch much football besides Chelsea, so I am not one to say whether quality from lesser teams is available or not. Our scouts must have eyes on good players in lesser teams that could either improve our first team or depth with potential to be a future first team player.

if we only look at established players I imagine its difficult to do business in January without paying a premium, but a good player for depth and with potential to grow in for example Germany at a mid level club could potentially be a solution. Bayern always pick the best players from these teams with great success, so in January we may beat them to the punch.

I would also entertain the idea of a loan. There’s virtually no risk. Worst case they don’t play and best case we get new energy, more options and perhaps that in turn pushes our main starters to also do better. 

In the end we don’t know what has happened behind the curtains which makes it more frustrating, than knowing we really tried and just couldn’t make it work. That’s for me is the hardest, not knowing if we did indeed make an effort. From the sidelines it can feel a bit lazy from our club at times :)

I would even say we should have taken a punt on Eriksen. We are desperate for some creativity from our midfielders! 
and he actually shoots from a distance.

my last point is about Giroud. How he hasn’t gotten more game time is puzzling to me. I think he’s better than bats and could have gotten more minutes. Especially now where we finally have a good crosser of the ball in James, I feel Giroud could get on the end of a fair few. If we use him more for the remaining season I think he could offer us something still. Why aren’t we trying? It may be that we think bats is a longer term option than Giroud, but in the present he is not a better solution.

oh, and have anyone thought of trying lamptey on the wing? He’s got so much speed and low Center of gravity. Now he is off anyway :(

Edit; squad depth turned into squid depth 🦑 

Edited by I_Hate_red