Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Presume you mean 150k.........even so, if the loaning club is paying 50% then it's still much cheaper than signing someone with a big fee and a large 4 year contract. 

Season with Bielsa "if he stay" would be a good move for CHO, alternatively Villa or whichever one of the following get promoted Brentford, Fulham or Swansea 

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If Willian didn't resign and Havertz doesn't come, CHO would get lots of game time, but that wont happen

Game time, sure. But in what games and how?

Difficult season given he came into it on a injury and then picked up another, but he started 7 PL games (3 against sides that finished in the top half) and 1 CL game according to Transfermarkt. The big gains for his development, and surely what he wants, is to be someone his club rely on and look to first in their biggest games.

Not knocking him or the club on this, but I think he'll get a lot more from starting 30+ games for a Championship side pushing for a playoff place who are often from the first whistle trying to win games against sides more or less equal to them than he would 10 PL starts in games against lesser opponents (not that you'd know from our results against the likes of Southampton and Newcastle!) that incoming Ziyechs or Werners are rested for plus PL sub cameos and starts in the early cup rounds.

bert19   
2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Difficult season given he came into it on a injury and then picked up another, but he started 7 PL games (3 against sides that finished in the top half) and 1 CL game according to Transfermarkt. The big gains for his development, and surely what he wants, is to be someone his club rely on and look to first in their biggest games.

Not knocking him or the club on this, but I think he'll get a lot more from starting 30+ games for a Championship side pushing for a playoff place who are often from the first whistle trying to win games against sides more or less equal to them than he would 10 PL starts in games against lesser opponents (not that you'd know from our results against the likes of Southampton and Newcastle!) that incoming Ziyechs or Werners are rested for plus PL sub cameos and starts in the early cup rounds.

I wonder if somewhere like Brighton or Newcastle might be a good move for him? Teams that don't score a lot, so he'd be likely to play more and they both have managers with reasonable Prem know-how (in Bruce's case, lots of experience), so would likely be used quite well.  

Failing that, somewhere like West Brom under Bilic? 

3 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Vertonghen for a season?

I mean, when I first read this I raised an eyebrow. But then I thought, why not? As has been mentioned above he has plenty of experience and might help with some organisation. Might also add a little bit of depth to the position. No idea where we're at with finances, but it might also free us up to spend more on an LB and GK. It might also enable us to put Tomori out on loan to a PL side.

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Well if no Willian or Havertz, and if Werner is going to play down the middle........that leaves CHO, Pulisic and Ziyech as our only wide players. I don't see Mount playing there long term, he will end up as an 8 or 10. 

CHO would get loads of starts across all competitions agaisnt good sides too. Pulisic and Ziyech can't / wont start every single game. 

But all a bit pointless as I don't scenario where Willy and Havertz aren't here. 

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Proud-Blue said:

I mean, when I first read this I raised an eyebrow. But then I thought, why not? As has been mentioned above he has plenty of experience and might help with some organisation. Might also add a little bit of depth to the position. No idea where we're at with finances, but it might also free us up to spend more on an LB and GK. It might also enable us to put Tomori out on loan to a PL side.

I don't think signing him solves a thing. At this stage of his career, he's no better than what we have. 

14 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I wonder if somewhere like Brighton or Newcastle might be a good move for him? Teams that don't score a lot, so he'd be likely to play more and they both have managers with reasonable Prem know-how (in Bruce's case, lots of experience), so would likely be used quite well.  

Failing that, somewhere like West Brom under Bilic? 

idk if I'm honest. I think his highest priority has to be playing consistently in the most competitive games he can. My worry for any young player, especially an attacker, going to a PL side likely to he fighting relegation is that they'll be first to be dropped when the going gets tough. 

Just anywhere where he gets picked for the games he can test and prove himself in.

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Well if no Willian or Havertz, and if Werner is going to play down the middle........that leaves CHO, Pulisic and Ziyech as our only wide players. I don't see Mount playing there long term, he will end up as an 8 or 10. 

CHO would get loads of starts across all competitions agaisnt good sides too. Pulisic and Ziyech can't / wont start every single game. 

But all a bit pointless as I don't scenario where Willy and Havertz aren't here. 

All projections aren't they, but I think you're describing exactly why I don't see Hudson-Odoi getting the game time I'm talking about; the fact that Werner and Mount can play in multiple positions and there is plenty of cover in some of those roles. Lampard won't be picking from Pulisic, Ziyech and Hudson-Odoi for 2 positions. He'll be picking from Werner, Giroud, Abraham, Pulisic, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho for 6 positions. 

That list will likely change (Willian staying? Havertz coming in? Jorginho leaving?) but either way I see Hudson-Odoi being down the list, and the most likely casualty of a more position-fluid squad being built. 

Priorities:

-Ziyech has already replaced Pedro

-Werner has already replaced Batshuayi, who will leave (slight upgrade)

-Havertz to replace Willian (CHO can stay and will play plenty of minutes)

-Defensive midfielder to replace Jorginho

-Left-back to replace Emerson

-Goalkeeper

-Centre-back

2 deals done and one seemingly close. 4 more big deals would probably be too much for this window. Ampadu and Gallagher could come into the squad but would do better to have another year on loan. Signing Foster as a new GK2 sounds like a good idea, letting Cumming go out on loan.

I assumed that Barkley would leave but given that the real RLC is still an unknown quantity and Gilmour is out until at least October we probably won't take the risk.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

All projections aren't they, but I think you're describing exactly why I don't see Hudson-Odoi getting the game time I'm talking about; the fact that Werner and Mount can play in multiple positions and there is plenty of cover in some of those roles. Lampard won't be picking from Pulisic, Ziyech and Hudson-Odoi for 2 positions. He'll be picking from Werner, Giroud, Abraham, Pulisic, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho for 6 positions. 

Realised I hadn't included Barkley or Loftus-Cheek in this. Or (more understandably if I say so myself) Gilmour. 

So if we include Willian, who at least is currently here, and not Havertz given he might never be here, that is still 14 players for what I think will be an increasingly fluid 6 spots. I do not see many useful minites for Hudson-Odoi in that. Might be useful for us to have him around to sweep up League/FA Cup and the odd PL start while the others get their rests, but useful to us and useful to him are not necessarily the same thing. 

(Edit: and then even this doesn't include the return of deadweight like Drinkwater and Bakayoko, and kids like Ampadu and Gallagher. Moving players out is perhaps the bigger problem this summer!)

Edited by thevelourfog

SKY saying Willian contract breakthrough. 

• Sad 1