Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

bert19   
1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I am sure Roman has asked the board to look into it. £52m a year could be peanuts if the commercial / mechanise side pays for his wages.

Image seeing kids around the world with Messi on the back of a Chelsea shirts

Interesting point. Surely any club that signs Messi makes an absolute fortune in shirt sales, merchandise, sponsorship etc etc.  Even at 33, he's still one of two players in the World that commands such a level of attention and interest.  

(It will be interesting to see if he'd be willing to take a pay cut though.  If so, that could be the clearest indication he's serious about going.  52m EUR a year on basic salary is an enormous outlay for any club or owner) 

I'm guessing he doesn't end up moving and this is in fact a power play with Barca's board, but the furore it's created is definitely interesting. 

1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I am sure Roman has asked the board to look into it. £52m a year could be peanuts if the commercial / mechanise side pays for his wages.

Image seeing kids around the world with Messi on the back of a Chelsea shirts

It's not as mad as it seems, IF and its a big if, Barca want him off the wage bill and let him go for free, I Can see ROMAN trying to buy him, 52 million a year for maybe 2 years would be fantastic, but it depends on whether Barca want a fee.

Can't believe Southgate fell for the rubbish that Maguires told him, HE HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY, John Terry was found not guilty yet the England manager was never allowed to pick him again, and Terry was 10 times better then Maguire

All the ex players trying to defend Maguire and are saying the police made it up, were they there?

bert19   
6 minutes ago, Never happy said:

It's not as mad as it seems, IF and its a big if, Barca want him off the wage bill and let him go for free, I Can see ROMAN trying to buy him, 52 million a year for maybe 2 years would be fantastic, but it depends on whether Barca want a fee.

I think if Barca are indeed willing to let him go, they'll do everything they can to make it painful and vilify him to the fullest extent possible (this is called 'The Liverpool Ploy'). 

The big question is if he's really serious that he's done there and just now wants to move on, or if this is his last attempt at forcing the Board's hand in regards to rebuilding and re-structuring.  It seems his relationship with Bartomeu cannot be saved, but his love for Barcelona will remain regardless.  

In all honesty, I'm not really expecting him to move, but surely we'd have to make our pitch like everyone else if it is possible that he will.  He may be 33, but he's arguably the best player of all time, how often do clubs get a chance to make a play for anyone of his stature in the game? 

And I know it doesn't necessarily fit in with our current squad structure, but think just how much some of our players could learn from him.  

Ham   

Not transfer related per se but squad related. Hasn't Ampadu grown upwards and filled out?

Bodes well for a future as a DM or CB. 

20200826_094611.jpg

• Like 1

paulw66   
13 minutes ago, Never happy said:

So, from what I understand.........in Messi's contract, at the end of each season he can serve notice to Barcelona and walk away for free. however, the notice needs to be served by 10 June, which has obviously passed. Messi and his legal team are arguing that because the season finished much later then usual, they should still be able to serve the notice now, as the season has only just finished. 

There will undoubtedly be a legal battle here, if ineed Messi is that keen to leave ( I am still dubious) and wants to push leaving for free. IF Messi ends up being a free transfer, then the wages alone are surley worth the gamble. the extra revenue from sponsors etc would contribute a lot, ignoring the obvious positive impact he would have on the team.

If there is a transfer fee to be paid, then that puts a different slant on things. If the buying club have to pay EUR 100m+ (for a 33 year old) plus the wages, then it becomes a big amount of money, and a much higher risk.

I'd be pretty surprised if we signed Messi. My suspicion is he's either going to Man City, PSG, or possibly China. Probably the former since FFP doesn't seem to apply to them.

SS_89   
47 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not transfer related per se but squad related. Hasn't Ampadu grown upwards and filled out?

Bodes well for a future as a DM or CB. 

20200826_094611.jpg

Giroud is 6ft 4. Slightly wider stance and taking amp's hair out of the equation prob 6ft 1 maybe 6ft 2 at a push...his frame definitely looks like it's filling out though which is good 

paulw66   
32 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Pirlo at Juve ....... I could see him there if it could be arranged.

Juve don't have the cash. Trying to offload Ronaldo